Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Gdk::DataSelection, array?

5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-15 00:58
hi all,

  a question about setting #DataSelection in a drag and drop... can i
drag an array?

  i'm making a music directory browser, and i've got a TreeView with a
bunch of song titles in it set as a drag source.  the TreeView is set
for multiple selection.
  the thing is, i'm not interested in dragging the titles, but rather
the full paths to the songs - so...
  i set up a hash, with the keys being the song titles, and the paths as
the values.  then, in the TreeView#signal_connect("drag_data_get")
block, i load all the song titles selected into an array, which is then
passed through a block which treats each song title as a key, and passes
the key's value (the song's path) into another array.
  what i'm trying to do is pass this array of paths into the
Gdk::DataSelection associated with the "drag_data_get" block.
  sorry if my explanation hasn't made too much sense - basically i just
want to drag an array!
  here's a look at what i'm working with:

#############
# (@view is my TreeView, @listselection is the TreeView#selection

    @selarray = []
    @hash = {}
    @dragdata = []

Gtk::Drag.source_set(@view, Gdk::Window::BUTTON1_MASK,
  [["text/plain", 0, 0]],
  Gdk::DragContext::ACTION_COPY|Gdk::DragContext::ACTION_MOVE
)

@view.signal_connect("drag_data_get") {|w, c, data, i, t|
  @listselection.selected_each{|m, path, iter| @selarray << iter[0]}
  @selarray.collect{|entry| @dragdata << @hash[entry]}
  data.set(Gdk::Selection::TYPE_STRING, @dragdata.to_s)
}
##############

  this *works*, but returns a string of the array (obviously, as the
last line would indicate,) and not the array itself.  i've searched
through the Gdk::Selection types, and the Gdk::DataSelection methods,
but haven't seen anything that lets me pass the array as an array rather
than a string.

  any ideas?  is this just a ridiculous thing to do in the first place?

  thanks -

 -j
8616a8bf5c9ac0db67ac26f89d3b06b6?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Charlton (Guest)
One thing off the top of my head is that using the
title of the song as a key isn't going to work all
the time.  I have several songs with the same name
(for some reason if you are Japanese you *have* to write
a song called "Rainbow" ;-)

What I have done in the past is create a ListStore where the first
column is the actual object that I want to select.  The
remaining columns contain the data I want.  I don't render
the first column.  When a row is selected, I take the object
out from the first column of the ListStore.

Hope that helps!

         MikeC
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-15 03:40
Mike Charlton wrote in post #992904:
> One thing off the top of my head is that using the
> title of the song as a key isn't going to work all
> the time.

  good point...

> What I have done in the past is create a ListStore where the first
> column is the actual object that I want to select.

  good idea...

> Hope that helps!

  sure does...  thanks for the idea - i'll get crackin' on it and see
what i come up with.

  thanks again,

 -j
80ce28a496fc19f178979c80aa0c6c1e?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (Guest)
Ok, I have a weird one this wasn't a problem under Ruby 1.8.6. On our
newest release I am playing with
See the subject line, when ever I am closing down my Ruby GTK app, it
get the following message

warning instance variable __windows__not initialized
Segmentation fault(core dump)

First off, I am running on RHEL 5.4, with Ruby 1.9.2-p180, and
ruby-gnome2-all_0.90.5
(I am stuck on 0.90.5 because this app has lots of canvas objects in it)

The stack trace of the ruby interpreter doesn't help me much. I think it
is in the garbage collection. I have a very similar non GTK app that
oesn't have an of this problems.

So there are tons of variables in this. I was just wondering if anyone
had seen this message before

warning instance variable __windows__not initialized

I did a google on it and found some old references. Anyone have a clue
as to what this could be?

Thanks
\

This electronic communication and any attachments may contain
confidential and proprietary
information of DigitalGlobe, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient,
or an agent or employee
responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient,
or if you have received
this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit,
disseminate or
otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you
have received this
communication in error, and delete the copy you received. DigitalGlobe
reserves the
right to monitor any electronic communication sent or received by its
employees, agents
or representatives.
80ce28a496fc19f178979c80aa0c6c1e?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (Guest)
Not everything works fine in the app, it seems to be just on shutdown.
And it seems to have gotten through all my code. It happens after the
Gtk::Main_quit

-grant
80ce28a496fc19f178979c80aa0c6c1e?d=identicon&s=25 Grant Schoep (Guest)
Oops I meant to say everything works fine in the app. Its just at
shutdown. As usual, ask a problem and you end up figuring it out
yourself. I was missing my calling destroy on a class that had a bunch
of Gtk::Menu.new objects. With Gtk 0.95 it still had the bug where not
calling destroy on this guy make it core dump.

Anyways, sorry to waste your bandwidth.
Existing account

No account? Register here.