Forum: Ruby Ruby Hero Awards

7255c45cb618d9759e1be08fdc9c365c?d=identicon&s=25 Gregg Pollack (Guest)
Hey guys,

    Some of you may have already heard about this, but I thought I'd
post it to this group since there are quite a few people here who
probably deserve some recognition and gratitude.

    This morning we put up the Ruby Hero Awards (http://
www.RubyHeroes.com).  There are many people in the Ruby/Rails world
who contribute to our community and rarely receive any recognition or
payment for their work.  They write educational blogs & tutorials,
create plugins & gems, contribute to open source projects, and put on
events, and help out people who need assistance on groups like this.

    Ruby Hero Awards was created to show some gratitude and give these
people the recognition they deserve. Hopefully the type of recognition
that keeps them doing what they're doing, and continuing to make our
community stronger.

    So if you want to show some gratitude then take a moment to
nominate someone you think is a Ruby Hero http://www.RubyHeroes.com.

    The winners will be announced on stage at Railsconf next month.

Gregg Pollack
RailsEnvy.com
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Gregg Pollack wrote:
> Hey guys,
>

>     This morning we put up the Ruby Hero Awards (http://
> www.RubyHeroes.com).  There are many people in the Ruby/Rails world
> who contribute to our community and rarely receive any recognition or
> payment for their work.  They write educational blogs & tutorials,
> create plugins & gems, contribute to open source projects, and put on
> events, and help out people who need assistance on groups like this.

Who are those people on the panel?

http://www.rubyheroes.com/panel

I have to say I recognize maybe only half the names, and I think I've
been pretty attentive to the Ruby world (though not the Rails section).

Are these people active on ruby-talk?

There are no bios, no links to any background info.

And why announce the results at a Rails conf?  Why not at a general Ruby
conference?

--
James Britt

"Judge a man by his questions, rather than his answers."
  - Voltaire
28f5a897a255c1d9780ad525f0b934a9?d=identicon&s=25 Lyle Johnson (Guest)
On Apr 17, 2008, at 12:43 AM, James Britt wrote:

> And why announce the results at a Rails conf?  Why not at a general
> Ruby conference?

I also only recognized a few of the panel members (probably the same
ones that you did). It's pretty clearly a Rails thing, and I would
assume that's why they're announcing it at RailsConf.
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)
On Apr 16, 10:05 pm, Gregg Pollack <GreggPoll...@gmail.com> wrote:
> events, and help out people who need assistance on groups like this.
>
>     Ruby Hero Awards was created to show some gratitude and give these
> people the recognition they deserve. Hopefully the type of recognition
> that keeps them doing what they're doing, and continuing to make our
> community stronger.
>
>     So if you want to show some gratitude then take a moment to
> nominate someone you think is a Ruby Herohttp://www.RubyHeroes.com.
>
>     The winners will be announced on stage at Railsconf next month.

Ooh! Ooh! Can I be a Ruby VILLAIN? It's always more fun to be the bad
guy.

Dan
5b75d07b5adfc157376fe012845cb08a?d=identicon&s=25 Jamey Cribbs (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  > who contribute to our community and rarely receive any recognition or
>  > nominate someone you think is a Ruby Herohttp://www.RubyHeroes.com.
>  >
>  >     The winners will be announced on stage at Railsconf next month.
>
>  Ooh! Ooh! Can I be a Ruby VILLAIN? It's always more fun to be the bad
>  guy.
>
>  Dan

You already are a villain, Bergermeister Meisterberger.    :)

Jamey
Lyle Johnson wrote:
>> There are no bios, no links to any background info.
>>
>> And why announce the results at a Rails conf?  Why not at a general
>> Ruby conference?
>
> I also only recognized a few of the panel members (probably the same
> ones that you did). It's pretty clearly a Rails thing, and I would
> assume that's why they're announcing it at RailsConf.

In that case, I think I'm going to nominate Zed Shaw.
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On 17 abr, 02:43, James Britt <james.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Who are those people on the panel?
>
> http://www.rubyheroes.com/panel
>
> I have to say I recognize maybe only half the names, and I think I've
> been pretty attentive to the Ruby world (though not the Rails section).

Let see what Google answers ("ruby ?" % ['put name here'])

Adam Keys : http://therealadam.com/
Personal blog/tumblr, no tutorials or deep look into Ruby

Anthony Eden : http://www.anthonyeden.com/
Personal blog, few technicall stuff from Rails and Ruby, nothing deep
to take a good look at.

Brandon Beacher :
http://www.workingwithrails.com/person/7942-brandon-beacher
Personal blog is out of date (9 months), Is the guy who coded the
RubyHeroes site...

Bruce Williams : http://codefluency.com/
Rails fame, Validatable all fame, father of the validations in
projects like DataMapper and Sequel (but not the implementer) --
anyway, they split from the path long ago.

Chad Fowler : http://chadfowler.com/
no need to comment, right? Rails Recipes, RubyGems incubator...

Chu Yeow : http://blog.codefront.net/
Living on the edge (of Rails), enough said.

Dave Thomas : http://pragdave.pragprog.com/
Programming Ruby author.

David Black (David A. Black?) : http://dablog.rubypal.com/
Ruby for Rails author

Evan Phoenix : http://rubini.us
Rubinius father

Gregg Pollack : http://www.railsenvy.com
RailsEnvy dude... well, rails dude.

Jason Seifer : http://www.railsenvy.com
The other RailsEnvy dude :-)

Josh Owens : http://josh.the-owens.com/
Personal blog, rails related posts

Laurent Sansonetti : http://chopine.be/lrz/
Resume page, MacRuby / Ruby/Cocoa guy?

Mike Clark : http://clarkware.com/cgi/blosxom
Mostly Rails, part of the Rails Studio and Advanced Rails Studio of
Pragmatic Programmers training

Peter Cooper : http://www.rubyinside.com/
RubyInside, RubyFlow, SwitchPipe.

Robert Dempsey : http://www.railsforall.org/
Rails for All

Steven Bristol : http://lesseverything.com
Rails Developer

Thomas Meeks : http://www.fullofmuchwinandawesome.com/
Single post, google couldn't locate lot of resources besides Orlando
Ruby Group (ORUG). Based on InfoQ comment, looks like he is using
Rails with netbeans

Tyler Hunt : http://blog.tylerhunt.com/
Coding blog, Ruby, Rspec, capistrano, javascript post...

> Are these people active on ruby-talk?

Haven't seen anyone.

> There are no bios, no links to any background info.

Hope what I provided above helps

> And why announce the results at a Rails conf?  Why not at a general Ruby
> conference?

Take your own conclusions based on the details I posted before.

PS: If I had a huge ego, can I nominate myself? it will be considered
as valid nomination? :-D

HTH,
31254903db793bf6f84bbd607fe092fd?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Eden (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  >
>  Adam Keys : http://therealadam.com/
>  Personal blog/tumblr, no tutorials or deep look into Ruby
>
>  Anthony Eden : http://www.anthonyeden.com/
>  Personal blog, few technicall stuff from Rails and Ruby, nothing deep
>  to take a good look at.

Ouch, that just hurts.

<snip>

>  > Are these people active on ruby-talk?
>
>  Haven't seen anyone.

A lot of us are here.

>  PS: If I had a huge ego, can I nominate myself? it will be considered
>  as valid nomination? :-D

I wouldn't be surprised if someone nominates you Luis given the amount
of time and effort you put into RubyGems on Windows.

V/r
Anthony
Bb6ecee0238ef2461bef3416722b35c5?d=identicon&s=25 pat eyler (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 7:40 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  Let see what Google answers ("ruby ?" % ['put name here'])
>
>  Adam Keys : http://therealadam.com/
>  Personal blog/tumblr, no tutorials or deep look into Ruby

but let's not forget the incredible:  Adam Keys and the USS Ruby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoVqY2mWus
7255c45cb618d9759e1be08fdc9c365c?d=identicon&s=25 Gregg Pollack (Guest)
Just to answer a few questions.

Yes, this is a Ruby thing.  We're announcing the winners are Railsconf
because it's the biggest Ruby related conference in the next two
months.  I imagine it might be the biggest Ruby related conference all
year, so why not give the winners the most recognition we can (even if
they aren't attending).

The Panel was put in place so we wouldn't have to make this a
popularity contest.  When doing something like this you have two
choices:

1. The person with the most nominations wins.  Obviously someone could
easily post to their blog "Nominate me!", get all their friends to
nominate them... yadda yadda.

2. Put together a reputable panel of voters who can look through all
the entries, take the number of nomination someone gets into account,
and pick out the proper winners.  Who is on the panel in my opinion
doesn't really matter, as long as they keep up to date with what is
going on in the community.  We were lucky enough to find a few people
I personally would consider "community leaders", who wanted to help
out.  I see this as lending more credibility to the awards
themselves.

FYI. By being on the panel, they've also disqualified themselves from
winning any of the awards.

Perhaps the people who win the awards this year can join the panel the
next time we do awards (maybe at Rubyconf this time).  ;-)

-Gregg
41c597a48c80e37ba68d1adc7095ea0e?d=identicon&s=25 Sam Smoot (Guest)
On Apr 17, 8:37 am, Luis Lavena <luislav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce Williams :http://codefluency.com/
> Rails fame, Validatable all fame, father of the validations in
> projects like DataMapper and Sequel (but not the implementer) --
> anyway, they split from the path long ago.
>
> HTH,
> --
> Luis Lavena

I could be wrong, the project might have changed hands for all I know,
but I think you're thinking of Jay Fields: http://blog.jayfields.com/

...and just to set the record straight, DM's validations started out
custom, implementing Martin Fowler's idea of Contextual Validations,
though to be fair, 90%+ of the syntax was borrowed from Rails. Then we
switched to Validatable, which seemed like a good idea at the time,
but required overwriting a good bit of the Validatable code. Now we've
gone back to the original DM validations and just filled in the areas
we didn't cover so well before.

Now I've got a little transcoding to do, and then it's all DM, all day
hopefully. ;-)

Oh yeah, Adam Keys is a great guy. Organizes a lot of Ruby related
events around Dallas. Spreads the knowledge. Brilliantly smart. OTOH
his love of Rails frustrates me to no end. :-D
On Apr 17, 10:46 am, Anthony Eden <anthonye...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > > events, and help out people who need assistance on groups like this.
> >  Adam Keys :http://therealadam.com/
> >  Personal blog/tumblr, no tutorials or deep look into Ruby
>
> >  Anthony Eden :http://www.anthonyeden.com/
> >  Personal blog, few technicall stuff from Rails and Ruby, nothing deep
> >  to take a good look at.
>
> Ouch, that just hurts.

Don't take that personal man, didn't do that for hurt people, just
took a fast look at some Google results.

Maybe I was waiting to see something different on these blog posts,
but couldn't complain since I post several non-ruby things in my own
blog :-P

> <snip>
>
> >  > Are these people active on ruby-talk?
>
> >  Haven't seen anyone.
>
> A lot of us are here.

Good to know, sometimes I see the same ppl answer lot of questions,
but some names on these replies don't ring a bell for me :-D

> >  PS: If I had a huge ego, can I nominate myself? it will be considered
> >  as valid nomination? :-D
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if someone nominates you Luis given the amount
> of time and effort you put into RubyGems on Windows.

Nah, my ego will be offended if I was nominated and not him.

Note: if someone wants to nominate me, will be best if he nominate my
Alter Ego instead.
:-D

Regards,
On Apr 17, 11:26 am, Sam Smoot <ssm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I could be wrong, the project might have changed hands for all I know,
> but I think you're thinking of Jay Fields:http://blog.jayfields.com/

Damn google, always return things out of context. Bruce is paginator
gem, Jay Fields is validatable.

Sorry guys for the noise!

> ...and just to set the record straight, DM's validations started out
> custom, implementing Martin Fowler's idea of Contextual Validations,
> though to be fair, 90%+ of the syntax was borrowed from Rails. Then we
> switched to Validatable, which seemed like a good idea at the time,
> but required overwriting a good bit of the Validatable code. Now we've
> gone back to the original DM validations and just filled in the areas
> we didn't cover so well before.

Can I win the worst post/reply/rant prize? please :-)

I sometimes make mistakes on my review of things, and ended with
statements no longer are valid. Thank you for clarify those Sam.

> Now I've got a little transcoding to do, and then it's all DM, all day
> hopefully. ;-)

Anxiety is driving me crazy. want to start using DM 0.9 now! :-D

> Oh yeah, Adam Keys is a great guy. Organizes a lot of Ruby related
> events around Dallas. Spreads the knowledge. Brilliantly smart. OTOH
> his love of Rails frustrates me to no end. :-D

Yes, Pat mention it previous... too bad I couldn't assist on any of
these events :-P

Thank you Sam for your clarifications :-)

Regards,
On Apr 17, 11:21 am, pat eyler <pat.ey...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Let see what Google answers ("ruby ?" % ['put name here'])
>
> >  Adam Keys :http://therealadam.com/
> >  Personal blog/tumblr, no tutorials or deep look into Ruby
>
> but let's not forget the incredible:  Adam Keys and the USS Ruby
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoVqY2mWus

Oh man, I completely forgot about that video!

Excellent! :-)

Too bad there isn't a time machine to go further in time and see what
will end up with all the Ruby Heoroes awards :-D
289cf19aa581c445915c072bf45c5e25?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Benson (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Can I win the worst post/reply/rant prize? please :-)

I want to take the prize for the biggest leech :)

Todd
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Gregg Pollack <GreggPollack@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Just to answer a few questions.
>
>  Yes, this is a Ruby thing.  We're announcing the winners are Railsconf
>  because it's the biggest Ruby related conference in the next two
>  months.  I imagine it might be the biggest Ruby related conference all
>  year, so why not give the winners the most recognition we can (even if
>  they aren't attending).

Good thing since I doubt I'll be able to break away to go! <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/