Forum: Rails-core (closed, excessive spam) Lighthouse Best Practices and some questions

69c8fce4f823067cd90bf5aa36665e75?d=identicon&s=25 Sam Granieri (Guest)
I'm kind of jumping the gun, but I found the the rails lighthouse site.

Are we going to be using +1 to recommend patches like we did on trac?

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/ticke...

What would be the best way to to contribute? Git patches? Pull Requests?

Any indications on whether the existing data from trac is going to be
moved to lighthouse? Or is it going to be a clean break?
Efa76b164a7de4a5730e4fa397cc4425?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Koziarski (Guest)
>  I'm kind of jumping the gun, but I found the the rails lighthouse site.
>
>  Are we going to be using +1 to recommend patches like we did on trac?

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/ticke...

As it stands we do intend to keep using 'plus 1' for patches,  it's
worked well for us so far :).  Hopefully the lighthouse guys will
actually implement something like that or 'digg for tickets' in
lighthouse itself.  (pdi rick)

>  What would be the best way to to contribute? Git patches? Pull Requests?

*don't* send github pull requests, they basically drop off the face of
the earth.

As for git branches vs git patches,  we're still experimenting a
little on that.  pulling from someone's branch has the advantage that
it's pretty easy to do, but it doesn't give us anything nice like
'signed off by' or stuff like that.   I think we'll probably end up
with something akin to git-trac which integrates with lighthouse, but
right now we're experimenting.

What do you guys think?

>  Any indications on whether the existing data from trac is going to be
>  moved to lighthouse? Or is it going to be a clean break?

Hopefully we can turn off new ticket submission, that'll let trac
stick around for a while, for closing out pending patches and bugs.

--
Cheers

Koz
C45aa3228424f6a35ebbfcd7a0e9d801?d=identicon&s=25 Ian White (Guest)

http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/ticke...

>  As for git branches vs git patches,  we're still experimenting a
>  little on that.
On the above ticket I did both.  From a submitter's POV it's easier to
just attach a patch.  But, raising the the bar to forking rails, and
creating a branch, (which is not really that hard) might be something
you want to do.

> pulling from someone's branch has the advantage that
>  it's pretty easy to do, but it doesn't give us anything nice like
>  'signed off by' or stuff like that.
>
>  What do you guys think?
'git apply' is also pretty easy to do.  I presume that the core team
will be applying patches, and editing commit messages in the
centralised repo style for the master branch.  In which case git
patches seem like the way to go.

Cheers,
Ian
--
Argument from Design--We build web applications
Western House 239 Western Road Sheffield S10 1LE UK
Michael Koziarski wrote:

>>   What would be the best way to to contribute? Git patches? Pull Requests?
>
> *don't* send github pull requests, they basically drop off the face of
> the earth.

I think you guys would get swamped with pull requests. good call.

> As for git branches vs git patches,  we're still experimenting a
> little on that.  pulling from someone's branch has the advantage that
> it's pretty easy to do, but it doesn't give us anything nice like
> 'signed off by' or stuff like that.   I think we'll probably end up
> with something akin to git-trac which integrates with lighthouse, but
> right now we're experimenting.

Koz, actually, you can sign off on patches with Git!
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gi...

I did some work on the git textmate bundle earlier this year
http://gitorious.org/projects/git-tmbundle
and I sometimes added remote branches from other people and
cherry-picked some of their patches, which I believe took care of the
signoff flag.

> What do you guys think?
>

>>   Any indications on whether the existing data from trac is going to be
>>   moved to lighthouse? Or is it going to be a clean break?
>
> Hopefully we can turn off new ticket submission, that'll let trac
> stick around for a while, for closing out pending patches and bugs.

One thing that lighthouse needs is a reporting system like what trac
has. So far, so good!
> As it stands we do intend to keep using 'plus 1' for patches,  it's
>  worked well for us so far :).  Hopefully the lighthouse guys will
>  actually implement something like that or 'digg for tickets' in
>  lighthouse itself.  (pdi rick)

Zing!

We want to implement some kind of voting, and allow it as a keyword
for searching:

"state:open tagged:patch votes:3+"

--
Rick Olson