Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Install error - gtk2 on ubuntu natty (11.04)

B55d9706b57e8d286a4f198daf2ac69c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrea Dallera (edwin_bolthar)
on 2011-04-08 11:01
(Received via mailing list)
Hi everyone,

  I've tried to install gtk2 on ubuntu natty 11.04 but i receive an
error
during the installation:

(after sudo gem1.9.1 install gtk2)

checking for GCC... yes
checking for rb_define_alloc_func() in ruby.h... yes
checking for rb_block_proc() in ruby.h... yes
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... no
checking for Win32 OS... no
checking for gobject-2.0... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***

gobject-2.0 seems to be missing though i've installed libgtk2.0-dev
(which is
supposed to install all the dependencies needed for building the native
extensions).  Has anybody tried to install the gtk2 gem on ubuntu 11.04?

Andrea
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-08 14:08
hi andrea -

  well, i wish i had some answers for you - i've had problems installing
the latest gtk2 on ubuntu 10.04 as well (there are several posts on this
board about my troubles...)

  for the moment i use the version that came with my package installer
(0.19.3) and that works fine, though i'm missing some features from the
newer version...  does your package installer have a "libgtk2-ruby"
package?

  -j
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
on 2011-04-08 19:39
(Received via mailing list)
2011/4/8 Andrea Dallera <andrea@andreadallera.com>:
> gobject-2.0 seems to be missing though i've installed libgtk2.0-dev (which is
> supposed to install all the dependencies needed for building the native
> extensions). Has anybody tried to install the gtk2 gem on ubuntu 11.04?

Not yet.
Does /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gobject-2.0.pc is present on your computer ?

--
Vincent Carmona
E5bb65e5a701060706365b4f771dcc8f?d=identicon&s=25 Karthikeyan A K (mindaslab)
on 2011-04-27 06:34
Looks like there is no way to use ruby gtk2 on ubuntu 11.04. I have
tried all methods and have exhausted.
8616a8bf5c9ac0db67ac26f89d3b06b6?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Charlton (Guest)
on 2011-04-27 08:48
(Received via mailing list)
On 27 April 2011 13:34, Karthikeyan A k
<ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> Looks like there is no way to use ruby gtk2 on ubuntu 11.04. I have
> tried all methods and have exhausted.

That's good to know since I was just about to upgrade.  Any ideas on
what the problem is?

       MikeC
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
on 2011-04-27 16:53
(Received via mailing list)
2011/4/8 Andrea Dallera <andrea@andreadallera.com>:
> checking for new allocation framework... yes
>
I just tested to run "ruby extconf.rb" in glib2 directory on ubuntu
11.04.
I have the same error. I Install libglib2.0-dev package to resolve it.
I can now build ruby-glib2 without errors.


libglib2.0-dev installs  /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gobject-2.0.pc file that
why I ask to check for it in a previous mail.

--
Vincent Carmona
D60cefa984e9c8092a0e7af159cdaeb2?d=identicon&s=25 Andrea B.C. (andrea_b)
on 2011-05-02 21:16
Vincent Carmona wrote in post #995328:
> 2011/4/8 Andrea Dallera <andrea@andreadallera.com>:
>> checking for new allocation framework... yes
>>
> I just tested to run "ruby extconf.rb" in glib2 directory on ubuntu
> 11.04.
> I have the same error. I Install libglib2.0-dev package to resolve it.
> I can now build ruby-glib2 without errors.
>
>
> libglib2.0-dev installs  /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gobject-2.0.pc file that
> why I ask to check for it in a previous mail.

Installing libglib2.0-dev didn't work on my 11.04 Ubuntu machine. It
turns out that on Natty some .pc files (including gobject-2.0.pc) are
placed in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig instead of
/usr/lib/pkgconfig; thus I solved the problem by following these steps:

$ sudo apt-get install {libpango1.0,libglib2.0,libatk1.0,libcairo2,\
libgdk-pixbuf2.0,libgtk2.0}-dev

$ cd /usr/lib/pkgconfig/

$ sudo ln -s ../i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/{atk,fontconfig,\
freetype2,gio-2.0,gio-unix-2.0,glib-2.0,gmodule-no-export-2.0,\
gobject-2.0,gthread-2.0,libpng,pangocairo,pangoft2,pango,\
x11,xau,xcb,xcb-render,xcb-shm,xcomposite,xcursor,xdamage,xdmcp,\
xext,xfixes,xinerama,xi,xrandr,xrender}.pc .

$ sudo gem install gtk2


Hope it helps.


-abc
Ee6ffca720cc428d70247dcd7377dd48?d=identicon&s=25 Kouhei Sutou (Guest)
on 2011-05-03 01:28
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

In <1c862eb16eb9df8dedc5971dfb85fccb@ruby-forum.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Install error - gtk2 on ubuntu natty
(11.04)" on Mon, 02 May 2011 21:16:49 +0200,
  "Andrea B.C." <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Installing libglib2.0-dev didn't work on my 11.04 Ubuntu machine. It
> turns out that on Natty some .pc files (including gobject-2.0.pc) are
> placed in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig instead of
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig; thus I solved the problem by following these steps:

I've added /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig to the default
.pc search path in pkg-config.gem and released
it. (pkg-config gem 1.1.1 is the latest version.)

Please try again.


Thanks,
--
kou
D60cefa984e9c8092a0e7af159cdaeb2?d=identicon&s=25 Andrea B.C. (andrea_b)
on 2011-05-04 18:33
Hi Kou,

Kouhei Sutou wrote in post #996305:
> Hi,
>
> In <1c862eb16eb9df8dedc5971dfb85fccb@ruby-forum.com>
>   "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Install error - gtk2 on ubuntu natty
> (11.04)" on Mon, 02 May 2011 21:16:49 +0200,
>   "Andrea B.C." <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>
>> Installing libglib2.0-dev didn't work on my 11.04 Ubuntu machine. It
>> turns out that on Natty some .pc files (including gobject-2.0.pc) are
>> placed in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig instead of
>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig; thus I solved the problem by following these steps:
>
> I've added /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig to the default
> .pc search path in pkg-config.gem and released
> it. (pkg-config gem 1.1.1 is the latest version.)
>
> Please try again.
>

Works like a charm now.

>
> Thanks,
> --
> kou

Thank you very much,

-abc
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.