Forum: Ruby PLEAC-Ruby

31e038e4e9330f6c75ccfd1fca8010ee?d=identicon&s=25 gregory.t.brown (Guest)
Has anyone seen this before?

It's a project that aims to implement the Perl cookbook solutions in
Ruby.

http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

It has a lot of really good ideas in it, but it's kind of hit or miss
as far as Ruby idioms goes and looks to be out of date in places.

Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
fill in the holes.

I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
47b1910084592eb77a032bc7d8d1a84e?d=identicon&s=25 vjoel (Guest)
Gregory Brown wrote:
> whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
> fill in the holes.
>
> I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
> sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
> it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.

Take cover, everyone....

(Search the archives for pleac.)
On 11/23/05, Joel VanderWerf <vjoel@path.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > Still, I think it could be a good resource if we collectively bug
> (Search the archives for pleac.)
Haha... I just did.  So it seems this project is centered around
writing perl in other languages essentially?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/...

Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea.   Though I do think something in
this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
would be nice.   I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
would be nice to see a community maintained project...
vjoel wrote:
> Gregory Brown wrote:
>> whoever is running the project about idioms and whatnot and also help
>> fill in the holes.
>>
>> I only mention it because I don't see many links to it on popular ruby
>> sites, and I'm wondering if people have seen this, what they think of
>> it, and if they think it might be worth helping out with.
>>

> Take cover, everyone....
>
> (Search the archives for pleac.)

I have to agree that it's a poor resource.  I don't even understand
their goal, which seems to be, "To write all the Perl idioms in all
non-Perl languages."

James Edward Gray II
Bfcc9047bea80035a936648dc1912ec4?d=identicon&s=25 gsinclair (Guest)
Gregory Brown wrote:

> Hmm... not exactly my cup of tea.   Though I do think something in
> this spirit (but with more focus on writing ruby with it's idioms )
> would be nice.   I know O'Reilly is working on a cookbook, but it
> would be nice to see a community maintained project...

Try (I think):

  http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org

Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
him :)

Gavin
On 11/24/05, Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Try (I think):
>
>   http://ruby-cookbook.rubyforge.org
>
> Failing that, find Martin DeMello's email address on the list and ask
> him :)

This was registered over a year ago and still hasn't released anything
:(

But I might try getting ahold of him.