Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 rubyWax 0.11.04 audio player released - thanks!

5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-05 23:48
hey all,

  i posted the release of my audio player on the main forum board, here:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/1436579#new  - but wanted to especially
thank everyone here on the gnome2 board for your help.  couldn't have
done it without you.  i hope if you get a chance to check it out that it
works for you (no guarantees!) and that you like it.

  i'm still hacking away at the code, which i'm sure is quite ugly - but
i figure the thing is good enough for an initial release.

  thanks again for the help and support.

  -jk
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/4/5 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:

> And it wants your games.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev

Hi.

I do not see any screenshot in the post or at rubyforge.org.

--
Vincent Carmona
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)

  i haven't got an image up at rubyforge yet, because it's giving me a
pain in the arse uploading an html file...  still working on that one.

 do you see anything in the latest post?  or in this one?

  it looks cool, i swear!

 -j
2011/4/6 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> it looks cool, i swear!
>
> -j
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6109/Screenshot.jpg
>

> --

I have a link on this post. Thanks It does look cool. Did you create
the art yourself ?

To upload files on rubyforge, I mount the remote directory locally so
I can copy files. First you need to copy your ssh public key in your
rubyforge account.

sshfs<rubyforge-user>@rubyforge.org:/var/www/gforge-projects/<my-project>
/mnt/rubyforge/

To unmount:
fusermount -u /mnt/rubyforge/

--
Vincent Carmona
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
Vincent Carmona wrote in post #991487:

> I have a link on this post. Thanks It does look cool. Did you create
> the art yourself ?

  sorry - my first post was unclear - i meant that the screenshot was on
the main board!  glad you like the looks...  i did the art myself, using
gimp and an image of a stanton turntable off of google.  the player will
show the first image file it finds in the playing track's directory as
the 'picture disc...'

> To upload files on rubyforge, I mount the remote directory locally so
> I can copy files. First you need to copy your ssh public key in your
> rubyforge account.
>
> sshfs<rubyforge-user>@rubyforge.org:/var/www/gforge-projects/<my-project>
> /mnt/rubyforge/
>
> To unmount:
> fusermount -u /mnt/rubyforge/

  thanks for this tip, i'll keep trying.  like i say, i'm not at all up
to speed with all of this stuff, and any help i can get is greatly
appreciated...  i tried also to add the source files to the cvs
repository for the project at rubyforge, but couldn't figure it out, so
i just uploaded a zip file of the whole thing.  do you have zik on cvs,
subversion, or some other repository, and do you find it easier /
better?  i was thinking of switching repositories, to see if i had
better luck with one of the others.

  if you get a chance to try out the player, please let me know what you
think - i notice a few things that i'm still ironing out, but i'm
curious as to whether it works for others.

  thanks again for all the help

  -j
2011/4/7 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> show the first image file it finds in the playing track's directory as
> the 'picture disc...'

I am looking someone to do 6 icons for ZiK. Are you interested ?

> thanks for this tip, i'll keep trying. like i say, i'm not at all up
> to speed with all of this stuff, and any help i can get is greatly
> appreciated... i tried also to add the source files to the cvs
> repository for the project at rubyforge, but couldn't figure it out, so
> i just uploaded a zip file of the whole thing. do you have zik on cvs,
> subversion, or some other repository, and do you find it easier /
> better? i was thinking of switching repositories, to see if i had
> better luck with one of the others.

I have choosen git. I have used git and svn.
cvs and svn are quite old. I think git and bazar and mercurial are
better (not the same pardigm as cvs/svn).
Basic uses of git are quite easy. And you can always try git on a
sandbox repo.
On rubyforge my choice is git (bazar and mercurial are not supported).

> if you get a chance to try out the player, please let me know what you
> think - i notice a few things that i'm still ironing out, but i'm
> curious as to whether it works for others.

Not yet tested but donwloaded.
> And it wants your games.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev

Vincent Carmona
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
I have just roughly tested you player but nothing seems to works. All
actions crashes the player (whith a similiar error see below).

My thoughts:
Impossible to add tracks if no "library" directory is not set + the
message is on main window (I did not spot it at first)
Use a checkbox in preference instead of yes/no entry.

Bugs:
When clicking "clear list" if playlist is empty =>
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/initWax.rb:130:in
`batterUp': undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass
   from
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/playlistWax.rb:380:in
`clrListSure'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `call'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `main'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39

When setting Musiq directory to ~/Musique =>
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/initWax.rb:130:in
`batterUp': undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass
   from
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/configmanagerWax.rb:267:in
`saveConfig'
   from
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/configmanagerWax.rb:249:in
`config'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `call'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `main'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39

On drag and drop=>
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/initWax.rb:130:in
`batterUp': undefined method `>' for nil:NilClass
   from
/home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/lineupWax.rb:216:in
`tableDataDrop'
   from /home/instable/Desktop/rubyWax_0.11.04/brains/initWax.rb:65:in
`initialize'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `call'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39:in `main'
   from ./rubyWax.rb:39
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-08 00:52
hi vincent -

  thanks for the advice about git - i'll give that a try.  let me know
what you're thinking of for icons for zik, and i'd be happy to help out
if i can.
  thanks also for trying out rubywax...  not sure about these errors, i
don't get them under the same circumstances...  what system / ruby / gtk
versions are you using?  i'm on ubuntu 10.04 lucid, this was written and
tested using ruby 1.8.7, gtk 0.19.3, and gstreamer 0.10.

> My thoughts:
> Impossible to add tracks if no "library" directory is not set + the
> message is on main window (I did not spot it at first)
> Use a checkbox in preference instead of yes/no entry.

  definitely going to use checkboxes...  i got lazy while writing the
config manager!  the "add tracks" dialog will not run unless you have
specified a directory in the config dialog (though honestly that's easy
enough to change, and i should...)

> Bugs:
> When clicking "clear list" if playlist is empty =>

  this is strange...  i don't get an error here.

> When setting Musiq directory to ~/Musique =>

  this may well be a relative directory problem - try using
"/home/foo/Musique" instead and see if it works any better...

> On drag and drop=>

  i don't get an error here either.  i think the problem may be in the
way the file names are parsed, which (as i'm pretty green) may be too
specific to Ubuntu...  could be a utf-8 problem maybe?  what do the full
filepaths of the files or directories you are trying to add look like?

  only other thing i can think of is that maybe the
/brains/config/WaxConfig.txt is corrupted...  it should look like this:

##############
none
50
yes
0
0
0
FreeSans 11
58853
58853
58853
#e5e5e5e5e5e5
on
#artist# - #album# - #title#
nil
playlist.txt
bottom-right
###################

  thanks again for the feedback,  let me know what you're thinking of
for the icons.

  - j
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-08 01:33
Vincent Carmona wrote in post #991487:

> sshfs<rubyforge-user>@rubyforge.org:/var/www/gforge-projects/<my-project>
> /mnt/rubyforge/
>
> To unmount:
> fusermount -u /mnt/rubyforge/

  thanks!  works like a charm.  does this also work for uploading to
git?
2011/4/8 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> hi vincent -
>
> thanks for the advice about git - i'll give that a try. let me know
> what you're thinking of for icons for zik, and i'd be happy to help out
> if i can.

I am looking for 6 icons to be shown on view selector button.
1 for each view:
default (music directories and playlist),
playlits,
music directories,
compact,
cd,
radio.
.

> only other thing i can think of is that maybe the
> 58853
> 58853
> 58853
> #e5e5e5e5e5e5
> on
> #artist# - #album# - #title#
> nil
> playlist.txt
> bottom-right
> ###################

 My brains/config/WaxConfig.txt:
~/Musique
50
yes
0
0
0
FreeSans 11
58853
58853
58853
#e5e5e5e5e5e5
off
#artist# - #album# - #title#
track
playlist.txt
bottom-right

My error came from Wax#initialize methods. On the last lines of this
methods I have:
@batter = @lineUp.index(@atBat) if @shuffle == "off"
@batter = @lUpine.index(@atBat) if @shuffle == "on"
self.batterUp if @lineUp[0] != nil

with
@shuffle => "off"
@lineUp => ["/home/instable/Musique/01 - Blue Bird.mp3"]
@atBat => "track"
 @lineUp.index(@atBat) => nil

Other comments:
If you have an type error on @shuffle (i.e. "offf") @batter will not
be defined. I would have used a bolean for @shuffle (so you can avoid
your case statement)

if @shuffle
 @batter=foo
else
 @batter=bar
end

or in a compact way (less understandable)

@batter= @shuffle ? foo : bar

Type errors can happened if your config files are edited by hand. What
happen if they are deleted.

Other comments

lines that look like
@pipeline.stop if @pipeline != nil
can be replaced by
@pipeline.stop if @pipeline.nil?
or by
@pipeline.stop if @pipeline
unless @pipeline => false which is not your case

in Wax#lineUpRead you open a file that seems to be never close. Use
File.open(my_file){my_block}#autoclose the file
or something like
begin
 f=File.open(my_file)
ensure
 f.close if f
end

> Xperia(TM) PLAY
> And it wants your games.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev

for git, I think you need to ask the rubyforge team to open a git
repo. Take alook at the faq
http://rubyforge.org/docman/view.php/5/460/faq.htm...
--
Vincent Carmona
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
> My error came from Wax#initialize methods. On the last lines of this
> methods I have:
> @batter = @lineUp.index(@atBat) if @shuffle == "off"
> @batter = @lUpine.index(@atBat) if @shuffle == "on"
> self.batterUp if @lineUp[0] != nil
>
> with
> @shuffle => "off"
> @lineUp => ["/home/instable/Musique/01 - Blue Bird.mp3"]
> @atBat => "track"
>  @lineUp.index(@atBat) => nil

  i managed to duplicate the problem - something boneheaded on my
part...  turn shuffle on, with the button in the upper left corner
before adding tracks...  that should work for you.  unbelievable that i
didn't catch that!  will fix it right away.

> Other comments:

  boolean would definitely be better than "on" and "off" - the config
manager needs some work

> Type errors can happened if your config files are edited by hand. What
> happen if they are deleted.

  they certainly can - i originally had the file hidden, so no one would
mess with it, but figured that could cause problems too.  if it were to
be deleted i think that would cause massive mayhem...  i'll have to fix
that!

> Other comments
>
> lines that look like
> @pipeline.stop if @pipeline != nil

  yes, this is not at all elegant, and will be changed...

> in Wax#lineUpRead you open a file that seems to be never close.

  ooh, i'll have a look at that...

  thanks again for the comments - try turning on the shuffle for now,
and see if the thing at least runs for you.  let me know what you're
thinking of generally for the icons, and i'll send you a sketch.

  -j
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/4/8 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> i managed to duplicate the problem - something boneheaded on my
> part... turn shuffle on, with the button in the upper left corner
> before adding tracks... that should work for you. unbelievable that i
> didn't catch that! will fix it right away.

Cool.

> thanks again for the comments - try turning on the shuffle for now,
> and see if the thing at least runs for you. let me know what you're
> thinking of generally for the icons, and i'll send you a sketch.

Actual files can be seen at
http://zik.rubyforge.org/git?p=zik.git;a=tree;f=pi...

I am not very found of the antenn icon for the radio view. I guess the
triangle for the compact view and the quaver (playlist view) can be
replaced by a more representative icon. As I am not artist at all, I
am opened to any suggestions. Do you have any idea for a pack of these
6 icons ?

> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev

Vincent Carmona
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-09 13:08
hi vincent -

  i've got some icons and logos for you to take a look at...  how best
to get them to you?  i can put them here, or up on mediafire, or i could
send them to an email address - however works best.

  cheers -

  -j
2011/4/9 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> hi vincent -
>
> i've got some icons and logos for you to take a look at... how best
> to get them to you? i can put them here, or up on mediafire, or i could
> send them to an email address - however works best.

You can spot my email at the beginning of each ZiK files or send your
icons here or on mediafire. It is your work so you can do it your way
:)

> And it wants your games.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-sfdev

Vincent Carmona
5e3ddca8ea910cea06245c7b3c38007a?d=identicon&s=25 jake kaiden (lljk)
on 2011-04-09 16:11
i looked on rubyforge for your email, but didn't see it - i'll check in
the zik files, and send them to your email...

 -j
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/4/9 jake kaiden <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> i looked on rubyforge for your email, but didn't see it - i'll check in
> the zik files, and send them to your email...

Can be seen at
http://zik.rubyforge.org/git?p=zik.git;a=blob;f=Zi...

--
Vincent Carmona