Forum: IronRuby YAML for .NET

9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
Has anyone made any progress with creating a YAML processor for .NET?  I
know that some people made some noise about it last Autumn.

Since there hasn't been any more info I thought I would take it on and
set
up an open source project for it
(http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net/).
It uses the Gnu Lesser Public License, which should be OK for use in
IronRuby, etc.

Let me know if you are already doing something similar or would like to
participate.

Pete
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 01:07:21 -0700, Peter Bacon Darwin
<bacondarwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone made any progress with creating a YAML processor for .NET?

If not mistaken, we** decided to forego YAML all together and advance
the
state-of-the-Ruby-art by by using XML instead.

Anyone care to clarify?

** By "we" what I mean is that I followed-up[1] Charlie's suggested
project name with a "suggestion" to use XML instead, and no one
responded.  Using the generalized rule of "No response is an automatic
check in the 'yes' column" and given that it's been a few weeks since
that
thread came into existence, I can only assume that yes, in fact, XML is
now the defacto replacement for YAML.

Of course, I could be wrong. ;-)

[1]
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ironruby-core/2008-...

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
Right :-) Now all we need to do is get the Rails guys to forego YAML too
and
we are sorted!
1bb3629b5d4316d4236a372c3456da14?d=identicon&s=25 Slavo Furman (Guest)
hi Pete!

There already is a .NET YAML implementation under Gnu Lesser Public
License
on sourceforge.net -> http://yaml-net-parser.sourceforge.net/. I do not
know
in what state it is, but you can take a look.

regards,
Slavo.

On Feb 1, 2008 9:07 AM, Peter Bacon Darwin <bacondarwin@googlemail.com>
Be5f55c3d0521f5d6eb4cf88ccdeb993?d=identicon&s=25 Myles Eftos (Guest)
> If not mistaken, we** decided to forego YAML all together and
> advance the state-of-the-Ruby-art by by using XML instead.

If IronRuby is going to eventually run rails, you'll need YAML, not only
for
the small amount of configuration, but also for stuff like HAML and SAS,
serialisation (Pstore) and the test suite. I would suggest that it would
be
a good idea to implement it. Besides, what harm is there in implementing
it?

Myles Eftos
Mobile: +61-409-293-183

MadPilot Productions
Phone: +618-9467-7651
Fax: +618-9467-6289

Try our time tracking system: 88 Miles!
http://www.88miles.net
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
Yep I did take a look at that project.  It is only partially complete
and
doesn't show any signs of further development; it was written by some
CompSci students as a project for their course and they are now busy
with
other stuff.  They probably weren't allowed to use the reference
implementations for their work so their implementation is rather
different
from the standard model and I also had some concerns about their use of
exceptions in the everyday logic.  So I thought it best to start from
scratch and try to stick more closely, algorithmically, to the PyYaml
reference.

What do people think?  I don't expect to do all the implementation
myself so
would appreciate if anyone else wanted to get involved.

wrote:

Has anyone made any progress with creating a YAML processor for .NET?  I
know that some people made some noise about it last Autumn.

Since there hasn't been any more info I thought I would take it on and
set
up an open source project for it
(http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net/).
It uses the Gnu Lesser Public License, which should be OK for use in
IronRuby, etc.

Let me know if you are already doing something similar or would like to
participate.

Pete
Be5f55c3d0521f5d6eb4cf88ccdeb993?d=identicon&s=25 Myles Eftos (Guest)
Can we look at https://jvyaml.dev.java.net/ (which is a port from
http://pyyaml.org/wiki/PyYAML)? As a side note, what does the license
say
about basing the implementation of other projects code?

http://www.88miles.net <http://www.88miles.net/>

  _____

wrote:

Has anyone made any progress with creating a YAML processor for .NET?  I
know that some people made some noise about it last Autumn.

Since there hasn't been any more info I thought I would take it on and
set
up an open source project for it
(http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net/).
It uses the Gnu Lesser Public License, which should be OK for use in
IronRuby, etc.

Let me know if you are already doing something similar or would like to
participate.

Pete
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 02:24:30 -0700, Peter Bacon Darwin
<bacondarwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Now all we need to do is get the Rails guys to forego YAML too and
> we are sorted!

That shouldn't be a problem: I hear DHH has a secret obsession with XML
and is just dieing for a reason to come out of the closet. ;-)

--

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:10:43 -0700, Myles Eftos <myles@madpilot.com.au>
wrote:

> As a side note, what does the license say about basing the
> implementation of other projects code?

I think this conversation has already come up.

/me is looking for the link to the archived thread.

--

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 02:28:11 -0700, Myles Eftos <myles@madpilot.com.au>
wrote:

> Besides, what harm is there in implementing it?

I was kidding. YAML gets the job done and in most cases it's easier to
read *ESPECIALLY* as it relates to configuration files.  I just like to
poke fun at YAML from time-to-time due to it's generalized roots
stemming
 from XML-haters from yesteryear.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)

Thread starts @
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ironruby-core/2007-...

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
Be5f55c3d0521f5d6eb4cf88ccdeb993?d=identicon&s=25 Myles Eftos (Guest)
> I was kidding. YAML gets the job done and in most cases it's
> easier to read *ESPECIALLY* as it relates to configuration
> files.  I just like to poke fun at YAML from time-to-time due
> to it's generalized roots stemming  from XML-haters from yesteryear.

Heh, fair enough :)

Myles Eftos
Mobile: +61-409-293-183

MadPilot Productions
Phone: +618-9467-7651
Fax: +618-9467-6289

Try our time tracking system: 88 Miles!
http://www.88miles.net
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:23:56 -0700, M. David Peterson
<m.david@xmlhacker.com> wrote:

> Thread starts @
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/ironruby-core/2007-...

Actually, reading back through that thread I am realizing now that it
might be worth considering writing the YAML parser in F# which already
has
full support for lex/yacc as part of the core distribution.  +, F# is
wicked fast.

http://research.microsoft.com/fsharp/fsharp.aspx

I would also take a look @,

http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/archive/2007/09/14/jas...

... and ...

http://blogs.msdn.com/dsyme/archive/2008/01/05/the...

... both of which provide good examples of writing parsers in F#.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
Be5f55c3d0521f5d6eb4cf88ccdeb993?d=identicon&s=25 Myles Eftos (Guest)
> Actually, reading back through that thread I am realizing now
> that it might be worth considering writing the YAML parser in
> F# which already has full support for lex/yacc as part of the
> core distribution.  +, F# is wicked fast.

Hey, if that would work, then cool.

In regards to the license, from that thread you posted: "We have an
issue
here that we want to drive through legal, which is releasing IronRuby
under
multiple licenses. This shouldn't be a problem, but it is an issue if we
are
going to try and package IronRuby for release ourselves (which we should
do). Like a lot of things that we do around here, it's always simpler if
we
could take one step at a time. I suspect that MsPL + MIT as a start
would be
nice. MsPL + CPL would be fine too. But MsPL + GPL + LGPL would be a
much
harder sell."

And from the source files from jvYamlb:

/***** BEGIN LICENSE BLOCK *****
 * Version: CPL 1.0/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
 *
 * The contents of this file are subject to the Common Public
 * License Version 1.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file
 * except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of
 * the License at http://www.eclipse.org/legal/cpl-v10.html
 *
 * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS
 * IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or
 * implied. See the License for the specific language governing
 * rights and limitations under the License.
 *
 * Copyright (C) 2007 Ola Bini <ola@ologix.com>
 *
 * Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms
of
 * either of the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the
"GPL"),
 * or the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the
"LGPL"),
 * in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable
instead
 * of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file
only
 * under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow
others to
 * use your version of this file under the terms of the CPL, indicate
your
 * decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the
notice
 * and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not
delete
 * the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file
under
 * the terms of any one of the CPL, the GPL or the LGPL.
 ***** END LICENSE BLOCK *****/

So does that mean it can be release under JUST the CPL? Because in that
case, we should be sweet?

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 03:53:07 -0700, Myles Eftos <myles@madpilot.com.au>
wrote:

> So does that mean it can be release under JUST the CPL?

It seems to me that somewhere buried in that thread is the answer, and I
believe that answer is yes.  But it's obviously best to clarify.

Also, while a direct port of Java to C# (or from Java to F#) is
obviously
best, to get things up and running quickly I would consider using
IKVM.NET
to compile a .NET accessible assembly directly from the jar.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
I knew there was a reason I bought that F# book last year.  Could be a
goer.
There is already a Haskell YAML implementation that takes a similar
approach:
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts....
Perhaps this could provide guidance, although it is released under the
LGPL.

Pete

> Actually, reading back through that thread I am realizing now that it
> might be worth considering writing the YAML parser in F# which already has
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
The PyYaml processor is MIT licensed and the implantation is fairly
straightforward to follow.  I have modified the google Yaml.NET project
be MIT licensed too.  It appears from John Lam's posts last September
that
MS permissive + MIT would be acceptable.

In the meantime, if no one else objects I will begin to port PyYaml to
C#;
starting with the Parsing and Presenting processes.  The other layers,
in
particular Construction, will need more thought as to how they will
integrate with .NET generally and IronRuby specifically.

As far as F# goes, I think this is very interesting but I am not up to
speed
with the language to say how much better it would be than a straight OO
port.  I think it would be good to get a C# port up and running and then
look at F# and how it could fit in/replace bits.  There are of course
Silverlight issues - do the F# libraries run on it?

Again let me know if you think I should stop and do something else or if
you
want to get involved.
Pete
F10efb534989afcadb26ffbc858fc3ab?d=identicon&s=25 drh (Guest)
Interesting as Harry Pierson gave a talk at Lang.net about using F# to
write
a parser.

http://www.devhawk.net

and looking through my copy of expert f# there is a chapter on writing
parsers and lexers.

Douglas

5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:38:07 -0700, Peter Bacon Darwin
<bacondarwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The PyYaml processor is MIT licensed and the implantation is fairly
> straightforward to follow.  I have modified the google Yaml.NET project
> be MIT licensed too.  It appears from John Lam's posts last September
> that
> MS permissive + MIT would be acceptable.

Right on. Will PyYaml run via IronPython?  If yes, then why not just
place
focus on using PyYaml directly via the DLR?

> I think it would be good to get a C# port up and running and then
> look at F# and how it could fit in/replace bits.

Good idea.  For runtime reference I've created an IKVM'd version of
JRuby
> http://mdavid.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jruby/.

You can reference the code in any C# source file via adding reference to
the jruby.dll file contained in the above directory and then adding
whichever from the following list you might need,

using org.jvyamlb;
using org.jvyamlb.events;
using org.jvyamlb.nodes;
using org.jvyamlb.tokens;
using org.jvyamlb.utils;

> There are of course
> Silverlight issues - do the F# libraries run on it?

I believe so, yes >
http://strangelights.com/blog/archive/2007/05/25/1584.aspx

> Again let me know if you think I should stop and do something else or if
> you
> want to get involved.

Looks like you're on the right track to me :-)

--

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:48:37 -0700, drh <drhent@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting as Harry Pierson gave a talk at Lang.net about using F# to
> write a parser.
> http://www.devhawk.net

Nice find!  Thanks for the link!

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 05:56:54 -0700, M. David Peterson
<m.david@xmlhacker.com> wrote:

> Good idea.  For runtime reference I've created an IKVM'd version of JRuby
>> http://mdavid.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/jruby/.

Forgot to add the IVKM.* dependencies to the above directory.  That's
now
fixed.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
A120eb09d383829bfa210bf656fcde4e?d=identicon&s=25 John Lam (DLR) (Guest)
Peter Bacon Darwin:

> Again let me know if you think I should stop and do something else or
> if you want to get involved.

John Messerly has been working in his spare time on porting Ola's JvYAML
parser to .NET and he's made quite a lot of progress already. It's
probably the best direct port that is out there.

That said, we're running into problems with our MutableString
implementation that we have to address first since the next major sets
of things that we're looking to get working are Regex and YAML.

If you're looking for things to work on, porting JRuby's Regex engine
would be awesome ... we're meeting today to hash out some details about
our string implementation and I'll post later on how we're proceeding
with that.

Thanks!
-John
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:41:34 -0700, John Lam (DLR) <jflam@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> John Messerly has been working in his spare time on porting Ola's JvYAML
> parser to .NET and he's made quite a lot of progress already. It's
> probably the best direct port that is out there.

So I was about to ask the following: "Does a list exist somewhere,
preferably on a wiki (though handwritten on a napkin would work for the
time being ;-), that provides a simple TODO:, TODONE:, and
TODONOTTOUCHTHISSPACE: list of project pieces?"

And then I decided "Before you make a fool of yourself, look on the
wiki!"

Apparently yes :D,

Core: http://ironruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Core
StdLib: http://ironruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?StdLib

I wonder if it wouldn't be such a bad idea to append to the mailing list
signature something like,

"Want to contribute?  Look @
http://ironruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Core and
http://ironruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?StdLib to get some ideas."

... or something to that effect?  If nothing else, it would advertise
the
fact that these pages exists, and while it's never going to be 100%
up-to-date, something is better than nothing.

Thoughts?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
And of course to update the wiki - way down at the bottom of the StdLib
page
is a lonely little Yaml? with no name attached.
John M would you like to open source your Yaml port or stick it into the
project I created?  I think there are lots of .NET users out there who
are
not going to use Ruby or Python but might benefit from a decent Yaml
processor.
I will probably dump what I have done so far into the SVN at
http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net for the time being and see what
happens.
Pete
A120eb09d383829bfa210bf656fcde4e?d=identicon&s=25 John Lam (DLR) (Guest)
Peter Bacon Darwin:

> And of course to update the wiki - way down at the bottom of the StdLib
> page is a lonely little Yaml? with no name attached.

Yikes. Will fix that.

> John M would you like to open source your Yaml port or stick it into
> the project I created?  I think there are lots of .NET users out there
> who are not going to use Ruby or Python but might benefit from a decent
> Yaml processor.

This makes sense if when we refactor the parser from the API. I suspect
it's probably factored that way in JvYAML today, but jomes knows for
sure.

> I will probably dump what I have done so far into the SVN at
> http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net for the time being and see what
> happens.

Cool. Thanks!

BTW, do you want to sign up for porting the JRuby regex engine (which is
itself a port of the Oniguruma engine).

-John
9d5a4bd314818560d935f2c1a4f0d2f2?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bacon Darwin (Guest)
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:55:03 -0700, Peter Bacon Darwin
<bacondarwin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Source uploaded => http://code.google.com/p/yaml-dot-net/source/browse

When did Google Code at the source viewer?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
D91500918a07bfae5b38b8943fd42fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Moore (Guest)
Sorry to be so late to the YAML party.  I started working on a port of
JvYAML to C# last fall, but the absence of a byte-based MutableString
makes
it very hard to get it right.  I eventually made my own MutableString as
placeholder, but there are still alot of holes and issues and bugs and
issues with the code I ended up with.

I'm excited to hear that John M is working on a port.  How can I best
help?

~Mike
B7b34fda26b7ea99b8b4d42497193220?d=identicon&s=25 Sanghyeon Seo (Guest)
2008/2/1, M. David Peterson <m.david@xmlhacker.com>:
> Right on. Will PyYaml run via IronPython?  If yes, then why not just place
> focus on using PyYaml directly via the DLR?

1. Will PyYaml run via IronPython?
Yes.

2. If yes, why not focus on using PyYaml?
I believe this is a separate question from having a good YAML parser on
.NET.
5159227f15ff6247f88542812f866c4f?d=identicon&s=25 M. David Peterson (Guest)
On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:02:08 -0700, Sanghyeon Seo <sanxiyn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1. Will PyYaml run via IronPython?
> Yes.

Nice!

> 2. If yes, why not focus on using PyYaml?
> I believe this is a separate question from having a good YAML parser on
> .NET.

By "on .NET" I assume you are referring to a good YAML parser that is
available to more than just Iron* languages?

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson
Co-Founder & Chief Architect, 3rd&Urban, LLC
Email: m.david@3rdandUrban.com | m.david@amp.fm
Mobile: (206) 418-9027
http://3rdandUrban.com | http://amp.fm |
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354
D91500918a07bfae5b38b8943fd42fbe?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Moore (Guest)
IronRuby's YAML library needs to more than just be a YAML lib available
.NET.  It needs to match the API that the Ruby lib implemented with Syck
has.  It has a particular API, which is why Ola wrote RbYAML in the
first
place.  We could use RbYAML (which is written entirely in Ruby) for the
yaml
lib in IronRuby, but the JRuby guys found that the performance wasn't
there.
 YAML is used in lots of apps, and having it be an order of magnitude
slower
on one platform vs. the other isn't good.  So Ola wrote JvYAML, which
follows the Syck API but is written in Java.  That's the port I started
on,
and that's what John M is currently working on.
I understand there are other YAML libs out there.  Personally, I'd love
experiment with F# to get one written.  But unless they follow Syck then
they won't match what Ruby already has.  I know there was an effort at a
university somewhere to write a C# port of Syck, but I don't think it
was
ever released.  And I seem to remember the JRuby guys saying that it was
simpler to write it in Java than port Syck.  Also, I seem to recall Syck
isn't going to be worked on anymore.
F4bc7df15228da953b3ba0ba36830306?d=identicon&s=25 List Member (Guest)
I had started working on porting JvYaml to c#. It is really rough,
currently
exporting to Yaml is working, I didn't get a chance to start on the
other
direction though. I don't know if it's of any value, but I would be more
than happy to contribute what I got working.