Forum: Ruby Is there shape drawing tool (like PHP) in Ruby?

199a284452b9c6433d2c163b6a22aa8b?d=identicon&s=25 ricrsskim (Guest)
I need to draw a simple graphs to post my biological data on web.
And I also want to add some interactivity into the graph (using like a
simiple
imagemap).
To do this, I need to know the position of squares or circles on the
graph.
So, instead of using statistical toolbox to draw the graph and find
where
square and circles are in the graph (which can be scary job), I want to
draw
the graph by myself and make an imagemap based on my drawing.

--> The conclusion is that I need a really simple drawing tool that
makes it
possible to draw lines, squares, circles, and some characters, and to
save the
result file in GIF format or JPG format.

Is there any simple drawing library in Ruby? (I'm thinking PHP shape
drawing
tools... but I don't want to use PHP...)

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Sung Soo Kim wrote:

> I need to draw a simple graphs to post my biological data on web.
> And I also want to add some interactivity into the graph (using like a simiple
> imagemap).
        [...]
> Is there any simple drawing library in Ruby? (I'm thinking PHP shape drawing
> tools... but I don't want to use PHP...)

How is :

http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/rubysvg/examples.xhtml

for you?

        Hugh
123320fdc17940dfc8e365edb48fbff2?d=identicon&s=25 bob_showalter (Guest)
Sung Soo Kim wrote:
> --> The conclusion is that I need a really simple drawing tool that makes it
> possible to draw lines, squares, circles, and some characters, and to save the
> result file in GIF format or JPG format.

http://gd2.rubyforge.org/
Ce60c4f78a63b0695e4dafc4bd7964f7?d=identicon&s=25 vanek (Guest)
ming rocks.
ming creates swf files on the fly, which can be made interactive.

I haven't used the ruby binding, but I have used the PHP binding.
It appears to be an abandoned project, but the ming code is still
highly functional.

http://madscientist.jp/~ikegami/ruby/ming/
http://www16.brinkster.com/gazb/ming/index.html
http://ming.sourceforge.net/