Forum: Ruby on Rails Sending email to multiple recipients

Fb47760df158dae06ce42941e073fb2b?d=identicon&s=25 Ank Ag (ankit2584)
on 2007-12-29 06:41
Hello,
   I have to send mail to multiple recipients. My table is named people
and has
first_name,last_name, email1 , email2, email3 for each person. i have
put people in various mailinglist .For example first mailinglist where
first_name is john or say the second mailing list contains people of
british origin.etc

the relation between mailinglist and people is many to many.
params[:ml] gives me the id of the mailing list to which mail is to be
sent.
In the controller i have

def sendmail
  @mailinglists=Mailinglist.find_all_by_id(params[:ml])
  @people =
Person.find(:all,:include=>:mailinglists,:conditions=>['mailinglist_id=?',"#{params[:ml]}"])
UserMailer.deliver_send_mail(@people)

In the mailer model which i have named as user_mailer i have

class UserMailer < ActionMailer::Base
  def send_mail(people)
#----------------------------------------
    recipients people.email1
# this generates error undefined method email1
#---------------------------------------------------

    from "christoph.von.luttitz@practical-experience.com"
    subject "Thank you This is a test"
    body      "This is a test"

The recipients people.email1 generates an error undefined method email1
.
If i use the same code for person instead of people i.e if i send mail
to only one person and pass person as a parameter as

def send_mail(person)
recipients person.email1
then it works fine but i am able to send an email to only one person.
Please tell me what am i doing wrong and how do i proceed.

Thank you.
Regards,
Ank
9fa0e9901902a1eb76217f33bd15c4a2?d=identicon&s=25 Jochen Kaechelin (Guest)
Am 29.12.2007 um 06:41 schrieb Ank Ag:

> params[:ml] gives me the id of the mailing list to which mail is to be
> ,:include
> =>:mailinglists,:conditions=>['mailinglist_id=?',"#{params[:ml]}"])
> UserMailer.deliver_send_mail(@people)

  @people.each do |p|
    UserMailer.deliver_send_mail(p)
  end

Perhaps this works.
E3640176765dae2465d33ef6eb114691?d=identicon&s=25 Bala Paranj (Guest)
If you have thousands of email addresses then you must use ar_mailer. It
is
asynchronous and will not impact the performance of your Rails app.
Check
out the Rails Way book for a good discussion on this issue.

--
http://www.rubyplus.org/
Free Ruby and Rails Screencasts
On Dec 28, 2007, at 11:41 PM, Ank Ag wrote:

> Hello,
>    I have to send mail to multiple recipients. My table is named
> people
> and has
> first_name,last_name, email1 , email2, email3 for each person. i have
> put people in various mailinglist .For example first mailinglist where
> first_name is john or say the second mailing list contains people of
> british origin.etc

Just a matter of opinion, but you might consider moving your email
addresses to another table so you don't have to limit your users to
three.  I like to use a construct called "contact number" which can
be a phone number (landline or cell), fax, email, page, url, im,
whatever.  Then you can have as many as you want and iterate through
them as a collection.  But that's just a matter of style and need.

> ['mailinglist_id=?',"#{params[:ml]}"])
> # this generates error undefined method email1
> #---------------------------------------------------

recipients is an array, so you need to build all of the addresses as
an array.  The collection people does not have a method called
"email1", that is an attribute of each person object.  So you'd need
to do something like this

people.each do |person|
  # this is more personal than just the email address, but that would
work too
  recipients << "#{person.first_name} #{person.last_name} <#
{person.email1}>"
end

I don't know about the performance of ActionMailer with thousands of
recipients, so Bala's advice might be your best bet.  And I would not
use Jochen's advice (absolutely no offense intended, Jochen!) and put
each delivery in a loop.  In that case, you'd be sending a single
message for every recipient instead of sending one message to your
outbound server and letting it handle the multiple recipients.

Oh, one other thing:  use bcc instead of recipients.  It's generally
considered bad etiquette to send out a mass email and put everyone's
address in the to line.

Peace,
Phillip

> In the mailer model which i have named as user_mailer i have
>
> class UserMailer < ActionMailer::Base
>   def send_mail(people)
> #----------------------------------------
>     recipients people.email1
> # this generates error undefined method email1
> #---------------------------------------------------

> The recipients people.email1 generates an error undefined method email1

A little ruby should fix this.

Instead of

  recipients people.email1

try

 recipients people.map {|person| person.email1}

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
Fb47760df158dae06ce42941e073fb2b?d=identicon&s=25 Ank Ag (ankit2584)
on 2007-12-29 17:43
Jochen Kaechelin wrote:
> Am 29.12.2007 um 06:41 schrieb Ank Ag:
>
>> params[:ml] gives me the id of the mailing list to which mail is to be
>> ,:include
>> =>:mailinglists,:conditions=>['mailinglist_id=?',"#{params[:ml]}"])
>> UserMailer.deliver_send_mail(@people)
>
>   @people.each do |p|
>     UserMailer.deliver_send_mail(p)
>   end
>
> Perhaps this works.
Hi thanks it works....Do you have a better idea so that I collect all
the email address  at once and call UserMailer.deliver only once with
different address seperated by comma.

Thank you.
Regards,
Anks
Fb47760df158dae06ce42941e073fb2b?d=identicon&s=25 Ank Ag (ankit2584)
on 2007-12-29 17:58
Phillip Koebbe wrote:
> On Dec 28, 2007, at 11:41 PM, Ank Ag wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>    I have to send mail to multiple recipients. My table is named
>> people
>> and has
>> first_name,last_name, email1 , email2, email3 for each person. i have
>> put people in various mailinglist .For example first mailinglist where
>> first_name is john or say the second mailing list contains people of
>> british origin.etc
>>

> Just a matter of opinion, but you might consider moving your email
> addresses to another table so you don't have to limit your users to
> three.  I like to use a construct called "contact number" which can
> be a phone number (landline or cell), fax, email, page, url, im,
> whatever.  Then you can have as many as you want and iterate through
> them as a collection.  But that's just a matter of style and need.
>
>> ['mailinglist_id=?',"#{params[:ml]}"])
>> # this generates error undefined method email1
>> #---------------------------------------------------
>>

> recipients is an array, so you need to build all of the addresses as
> an array.  The collection people does not have a method called
> "email1", that is an attribute of each person object.  So you'd need
> to do something like this
>
> people.each do |person|
>   # this is more personal than just the email address, but that would
> work too
>   recipients << "#{person.first_name} #{person.last_name} <#
> {person.email1}>"
> end
>
> I don't know about the performance of ActionMailer with thousands of
> recipients, so Bala's advice might be your best bet.  And I would not
> use Jochen's advice (absolutely no offense intended, Jochen!) and put
> each delivery in a loop.  In that case, you'd be sending a single
> message for every recipient instead of sending one message to your
> outbound server and letting it handle the multiple recipients.
>
> Oh, one other thing:  use bcc instead of recipients.  It's generally
> considered bad etiquette to send out a mass email and put everyone's
> address in the to line.
>
> Peace,
> Phillip

Thanks a ton Philip...One final question regarding mailing. The use
wants to create templates and that will be in html format....The user
will not know anything about HTML code so he will copy and paste the
text from WORD to the textbox provided in the email interface of rails.
Any suggestions how do I convert that code to html while pasting or it
would be even better if it is possible to create a text box gmail style
i.e. which has colors and fontsize options.... Sorry for so many
questions. I am somewhat new to ruby and rails...and have a project to
complete in rails.
On Dec 29, 2007, at 10:58 AM, Ank Ag wrote:
> questions. I am somewhat new to ruby and rails...and have a project to
> complete in rails.

Sorry, I can't be of much help here.  I have not yet had a need such
as this and therefore have no experience working it out.  I'm sure
that someone else on here will have some great ideas, though.

Phillip
4f7fb063aecdf8344774cd7238d8b585?d=identicon&s=25 Jorge Mario G. Mazo (Guest)

hi there
What I did was to use the fckeditor a js script editor which is easily
integrated with rails.
This editor has an option PASTE FROM WORD that keeps "some" of the
formatting (tables and other
stuff) it has worked wonderully for me
Fb47760df158dae06ce42941e073fb2b?d=identicon&s=25 Ank Ag (ankit2584)
on 2007-12-29 21:14
Jorge Mario G. Mazo wrote:

> hi there
> What I did was to use the fckeditor a js script editor which is easily
> integrated with rails.
> This editor has an option PASTE FROM WORD that keeps "some" of the
> formatting (tables and other
> stuff) it has worked wonderully for me

Yes, Thx Its really good.......
4bf0c3eed2511ca2a8eeddb8938cc016?d=identicon&s=25 Ateef Aleee (atif)
on 2014-05-04 20:25
thank you
Existing account

No account? Register here.