Forum: Nitro Ogden

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
Dear devs,

Per the desires of a number of you to see Og take on a project status
of it's own outside of the Nitro web framework, I have finally set up
a development fork for the community to hack on. If development goes
well, then this can serve as in the future as "Og 2". In the mean time
the current version will remains safe and sound in the darcs repo for
production use.

I've dubbed the new dev-repo "Ogden" for "Og Development Emancipated
from Nitro" (yea, I just made that up after the fact ;-)

Whomever would like to be involved in development please let me know.
I will be coordinating development for the time being --though I would
like to find someone else with ORM and Og experience that would like
to take on, at least part, of this duty.

As for a road-map. It remains to be see what the consensus is., but
I've modified the project TODO list for the things I know. The most
important of which is to clean up the meta-coding. Currently Og uses a
good bit of direct code injection, and we need to make these true
modules instead. I would also like to see how far we can get in just
simplifying some of the code. Beyond that, the sky's the limit.

With regard to the development process, all changes beyond minor fixes
will be relegated to branches, and we will take care to schedule
branches to reduce the potential of merge conflicts. So if you would
like to work on Og and have a significant change in mind, let me know
and we can set up the branch. For minor changes, of course, you can
still submit patches.

Right now I'm finishing up a modification to the way Ogden gets
required so it won't interfere with Og if you have both installed. I'm
just about done, and we should be good to go from there.

Ogden is using an SVN repo hosted on Rubyforge.

  http://rubyforge.org/project/ogden

You can of course use SVN directly (as I will be for the time being,
but I would like to see us move toward using git-svn, so we can still
share patches is a distributed manor too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

T.

(P.S. if you want dev rights, be sure to tell me your Rubyforge
username.)
On Dec 13, 3:56 pm, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ogden is using an SVN repo hosted on Rubyforge.
>
>  http://rubyforge.org/project/ogden

CORRECTION:

  http://rubyforge.org/projects/ogden

T.
407f866e9a1b959de956ae560239adfe?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Buch (Guest)
Me like ^_^
80a09b04fe15c6aff61349ca60d522e4?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Van De Vyver (mvyver)
On Dec 14, 2007 9:03 AM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 3:56 pm, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ogden is using an SVN repo hosted on Rubyforge.
> >
> >  http://rubyforge.org/project/ogden
>
> CORRECTION:
>
>   http://rubyforge.org/projects/ogden

Great news.  Thanks!
Hopefully all that private flavoring/salting of Og can be pooled.
818d425c0610469184fe5bb3ee4c15b2?d=identicon&s=25 Judson Lester (Guest)
On Dec 13, 2007 12:56 PM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me know if you have any questions.

Where should Ogden development discussion occur?  I'm assuming that the
Nitro list is probably not the best place.

Judson
On Dec 14, 2007 7:56 AM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> from Nitro" (yea, I just made that up after the fact ;-)
As good as any.

> Whomever would like to be involved in development please let me know.
> I will be coordinating development for the time being --though I would
> like to find someone else with ORM and Og experience that would like
> to take on, at least part, of this duty.

I'm happy to help out with 'chores'.
Not enough of an O/RM or Rubgy/SVN guru to take on a primary role.

> As for a road-map. It remains to be see what the consensus is., but
> I've modified the project TODO list for the things I know. The most

My 2c...

 - Documentation.
  + If we can get a ogden gem updated daily/frequently then people can
use
rubypub.com; i.e. rdoc contributions without hassle/overhead.
 - Have specs conform to std conventions, naming, location etc.
(wrecks less havoc with some tools/IDE's)
 - Full spec coverage.
   + This may involve rationalization of redundant methods and bug
fixes.
   + Are failing specs allowed to be submitted?  I'd argue no: they
should pass as 'pending' specs, or be submitted under a bug ticket.

> important of which is to clean up the meta-coding. Currently Og uses a
> good bit of direct code injection, and we need to make these true
> modules instead. I would also like to see how far we can get in just
> simplifying some of the code. Beyond that, the sky's the limit.

Yep I saw what looked like redundant code, but without full spec
coverage it is nerve racking to make any change.

> Ogden is using an SVN repo hosted on Rubyforge.
>
>   http://rubyforge.org/project/ogden
>
> You can of course use SVN directly (as I will be for the time being,
> but I would like to see us move toward using git-svn, so we can still
> share patches is a distributed manor too.

Thanks for all the work in getting this off the ground.

> Let me know if you have any questions.

For communication:
 - as mail list I vote for google groups.
 - an irc channel?

Cheers
On Dec 13, 2007 3:24 PM, Judson Lester <nyarly@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2007 12:56 PM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Let me know if you have any questions.
> >

> Where should Ogden development discussion occur?  I'm assuming that the
> Nitro list is probably not the best place.

Seems that there's a new mailing list off  of

On Dec 14, 4:15 pm, "Judson Lester" <nya...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2007 3:24 PM, Judson Lester <nya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 13, 2007 12:56 PM, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> > Where should Ogden development discussion occur?  I'm assuming that the
> > Nitro list is probably not the best place.

Yep. Just set that up today. And a Google Group tie-in:

  http://groups.google.com/group/ogden-developers?hl=en

T.