Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails : Origin of the name ?

72ea925c0ca3d19fdd2f12fa76681624?d=identicon&s=25 Stephan Wehner (stephanwehner)
on 2007-12-13 20:56
Where did the name "Ruby on Rails" come from?

Thanks,

Stephan
391f9b787cdc12aa2c179713f5103e3a?d=identicon&s=25 Ilan Berci (iberci)
on 2007-12-13 21:12
Stephan Wehner wrote:
> Where did the name "Ruby on Rails" come from?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephan

In the beginning there were computers and the people were happy

The users noted that these computers couldn't talk to other computers
and they were sad

The network was thusly created and the people were happy

The frameworks that were initially developed were quite primitive and
the people were sad

Bigger frameworks were developed that allowed greater user experience
and productivity and the people were happy

As these frameworks grew bigger, and the complexity rose, developers
were given an increasing array of configuration options, development
strategies, financial advice, cosmic tea and other such things in which
to develop their particular applications which only lead to big slow
downs in things getting out the door and the people were sad

Along came 37Signals and DHH and he dictated that "convention over
configuration" shall be the new law, "Each of you will now develop my
way as if you were on rails" which greatly simplified web application
development and the people were happy..

hth..

ilan
72ea925c0ca3d19fdd2f12fa76681624?d=identicon&s=25 Stephan Wehner (stephanwehner)
on 2007-12-13 21:48
Ilan Berci wrote:

> Along came 37Signals and DHH and he dictated that "convention over
> configuration" shall be the new law, "Each of you will now develop my
> way as if you were on rails" which greatly simplified web application
> development and the people were happy..
>
> hth..

I don't see how this helps ...

Stephan
48641c4be1fbe167929fb16c9fd94990?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Wilden (Guest)
I think the point is that Rails is constraining (which is a good
thing).

///ark
9fc3946d741374608d014aca2a456b66?d=identicon&s=25 Phillip Koebbe (Guest)
On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Stephan Wehner wrote:

> I don't see how this helps ...
>
> Stephan

If you consider a train on rails, the train goes where the rails take
it.  Ruby On Rails is the Ruby language on the "rails" that DHH
dreamed up.  As the saying goes, RoR is very opinionated software.
You can do *some* things in a way that DHH and crew don't like, but
they will make it hard for you.  If you follow the Rails, all goes well.

Peace,
Phillip
72ea925c0ca3d19fdd2f12fa76681624?d=identicon&s=25 Stephan Wehner (stephanwehner)
on 2007-12-14 00:10
Phillip Koebbe wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:48 PM, Stephan Wehner wrote:
>
>> I don't see how this helps ...
>>
>> Stephan
>>

> If you consider a train on rails, the train goes where the rails take
> it.  Ruby On Rails is the Ruby language on the "rails" that DHH
> dreamed up.  As the saying goes, RoR is very opinionated software.
> You can do *some* things in a way that DHH and crew don't like, but
> they will make it hard for you.  If you follow the Rails, all goes well.

Thanks!

Is there a reference for this? First usage ... ?

Stephan

> Peace,
> Phillip
21f7ed21f11a809050594c82eab11d67?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Walker (Guest)
Is there a reference to where you got the name "Stephan Wehner?" First
useage?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-) Have fun riding the rails.

On Dec 13, 6:10 pm, Stephan Wehner <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
4cd3615da7c39beacaaab174267ad8b2?d=identicon&s=25 Davi (Guest)
Em Qui 13 Dez 2007, Stephan Wehner escreveu:
[...]
> Is there a reference for this? First usage ... ?

  Have you tried Wikipedia?

  HTH,
--
Davi Vidal
--
Davi wrote:
> Em Qui 13 Dez 2007, Stephan Wehner escreveu:
> [...]
>>
>> Is there a reference for this? First usage ... ?
>>

>   Have you tried Wikipedia?

Yes, there are hints about Struts in the discussion page.

  "...., but Rails was almost certainly named in homage to Struts ....."

The discussion page also has the same question directly,
  "How about some info on how it got to be called Ruby on Rails?"

but there is no answer.

Stephan

Ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_on_Rails
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ruby_on_Rails
21f7ed21f11a809050594c82eab11d67?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Walker (Guest)
From that line of thinking, it all becomes so clear. Rails gets you
places, while Struts just hold you up.

On Dec 13, 7:57 pm, Stephan Wehner <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
4cd3615da7c39beacaaab174267ad8b2?d=identicon&s=25 Davi (Guest)
Em Qui 13 Dez 2007, Stephan Wehner escreveu:
>   "...., but Rails was almost certainly named in homage to Struts ....."
>
> The discussion page also has the same question directly,
>   "How about some info on how it got to be called Ruby on Rails?"
>
> but there is no answer.

  Phillip's answers seems fine for me...

  First usage was from 37Signals?

  HTH,
--
Davi Vidal
--
E-mail: davividal@siscompar.com.br
MSN   : davividal@msn.com
GTalk : davividal@gmail.com
Skype : davi vidal
ICQ   : 138815296
180bf5000c2bf25f239ee9b097df7a3d?d=identicon&s=25 sean (Guest)
i guess the guys at 37signals kept asking david how he was getting
along with this widely unknown japanese scripting language that he had
decided to write their next web application in, and one day he
answered with a smile: "i put it (ruby) on rails".

;)

On Dec 13, 8:56 pm, Stephan Wehner <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Existing account

No account? Register here.