New Tutorial PDF

I’m not all the way through with bringing this up to date, but it’s
better then before so here goes.

(ab)

Great stuff :wink:

-g.

Hey Ame :slight_smile:

I like the tutorial idea – I took a shot at something on a wiki page
before. You can see that I have my own faults, so my comments are
purely
for “better-ness”, and good. Also I’m putting on my “adult trainer and
workplace assessor” hat (not a programs need, XXX hat grin).

Here are some thoughts, in no particular order. On Friday I took some
time
out of my life to find a few little toys to use to explain “classroom
psychology” … It is impossible to find “human” toy men and toy women
these days.

I did find :: little ‘magno-z http://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm’ men –
made from coloured pipe cleaners with funny faces and weird hair. They
are
pretty cool, I plan to get some more.

Consider these people as “the audience”; for your material. I like it
because I can sit with Chinese people, or Americans, and say :: Here is
your
class. Here is your market. Here is your (project/sports) team . . .

  • What do they KNOW already?
    (Foundation…)
  • What pre-conceptions do they hold (NOW)?
    … “Rails rules”, “Google and NASA love Python”, C++ is the fastest,
    etc
  • What THREE(3) things do I wish them to walk out of the room with?
  • What ONE(1) thing do I wish them to do, to ACT on, after class
    (tutorial, advertisement, etc.)

This understood, I tend to do that evaluation 2nd, or even 3rd (or – I
used
to). It really matter-z. Those wee
‘magno-zhttp://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm
figure men/women – Don’t know where they can get to after our tutorial.
Make sense?

There seem to be many assumptions in the tutorial. And I was not sure
What
“assumed knowledge” I might need. Ordinarily most of that context can
be
gathered. NITRO, to me, is for non-database people to get something
up-and-running.

I spent a very large chunk of my life looking for ways to deliver
results,
and skip the technical gear, and ins and outs. I may be taking a
too-Right
brained approach to this tutorial in that case.

On the other hand, I’d like to see a real-world version of any data
structures used and where possible, a diagram or 30 diagrams. :wink: If
you
rec all where you began, "they"™ used to tell us to imagine
explaining
the dumbest steps to boil rice.

Do I know how to “fetch water”? Does the wee
‘magno-zhttp://haireemagnoz.com/home.htm
figure?

Also … my personal bias here is that, is a To Do list sufficiently
real
enough? It needs to be described as a thing I’m familiar with. Most
do”-s are on envelopes. Can you make it a task tracking project? I
think I
used an address book – I saw your phone-number question, are we
thinking
the same thing?

Finally, you need a unbiased person with the equivalent “assumed”
knowledge
to review the tutorial. Can you teach/use it to, with a friend or a
non-family member?

Before you do this write out those 3 objectives, and at teh end find a
suitable question to ask and assess how that goes. Do not give the
desired
outcome away in the assessment question grin

I CC-ed my friend Gayle, she knows not much on computers, she knows
about
training adults. I think I “know too much” to give an unbiased review.
know OG is a step beyond everything except a 4GL or NeXT.

If you can get them, George’s videos are excellent examples for a first
Nitro app. Non-trivial and simple as pie. I wrote step-by-step
expose-s on
the first and second ones. That got lost in the “non-wiki” on
nitro.org.

Because a lot does happen in Nitro “by magick”, it is much more
important to
explain the dumb, trite, and “obviously” stuff such that the
reader/student
gets to take in ALL he/she gets with Nitro, or Og, for free.

  • Why n ot have a “Og” tutorial first – and then you can point people
    the Og tutorial first. And keep the Nitro tutorial mostly about Nitro
    and
    about the web sites.

Good luck, let us know where we may assist.

… Will

On 09/12/2007, Arne B. [email protected] wrote: I’m not all