Forum: Inkscape transparent png

0e9e6bd9c028b8f56672992306991057?d=identicon&s=25 Simeon Mitev (Guest)
Hi all,

I am trying to create one PNG image with a transparent gradient (from
gray to transparent). All is fine but when I save as .png the part which
should be transparent is actually white.

I did check the document preferences. The color is white and alpha is
set to 0.0. What I am doing wrong?

Thank you

@Simeon
39159e1b283658fcd3d97da47beacb92?d=identicon&s=25 Haldun ALTAN (Guest)
Are you sure you don't have a white background ?

Le 23/03/2011 16:31, Simeon Mitev a crit :
0e9e6bd9c028b8f56672992306991057?d=identicon&s=25 Simeon Mitev (Guest)
Yes. I just created a square shape and removed the filling. Then I
dragged a gradient over it. Shall I send you the file?
Aefd46e73e6b7449c5ce1ce0156797d2?d=identicon&s=25 ~suv (Guest)
On 23/3/11 16:31, Simeon Mitev wrote:

> I am trying to create one PNG image with a transparent gradient (from
> gray to transparent). All is fine but when I save as .png the part which
> should be transparent is actually white.
>
> I did check the document preferences. The color is white and alpha is
> set to 0.0. What I am doing wrong?

Use 'File > Export Bitmap...' [1] instead of saving a copy as "Cairo
PNG".

Unless you edited the background color in 'Document Properties > Page'
intentionally, or added a solid white rectangle to the drawing as
background yourself, 'Export bitmap...' will create a PNG with a
transparent background by default.

Saving as copy as "Cairo PNG" on the other hand will always add a solid
white background the size of the page.

~suv

[1]
<http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL_v16/html/F...
On 3/23/11 5:12 PM, ~suv wrote:

> Unless you edited the background color in 'Document Properties>  Page'
> intentionally, or added a solid white rectangle to the drawing as
> background yourself, 'Export bitmap...' will create a PNG with a
> transparent background by default.
>
> Saving as copy as "Cairo PNG" on the other hand will always add a solid
> white background the size of the page.

Great! That worked.

It would be helpful if this little strange behavior get included into
the official documentation.

Thank you.
335a23bee723d9d262ef07d2397cf376?d=identicon&s=25 Sophia F. (sophia_f)
on 2011-06-14 17:01
Hi

I have a question about the .png files.

I have an image that I want to export with a transparent background for
use on a web page.  In Inkscape the image has a transparent background
when I create it (I have checked document properties) and I can move the
image around over other things and see it is transparent.

I select the image (part of the svg drawing) Export Bitmap - selection-
png but the image comes out with a white background.  If I try to import
it as an image back into inkscape or into another software i.e. Pixlr,
it comes in with a white background.

My document in inkscape is set up to have a transparent background.

I used to use Illustrator a while ago and it had a feature where you
could save for web.

Is there some other setting I am missing here?  I have tried it on both
Mac and PC verson of inkscape and I get the same result.

thanks for help in advance

Sophia
Existing account

No account? Register here.