Forum: Mongrel Mongrel install crash on win32

8b72389daf4540ff086ec79c0c42c632?d=identicon&s=25 Jesper Rønn-jensen (jesperronn)
Something suddenly went wrong in my ruby install.

When installing Mongrel on my Windows XP laptop, it incorrectly tries to
build it as a native extension. I don't even get the selection where I
can choose to install a compiled version.

I would appreciate any help/links or similar, as I frankly don't
understand what's going on and why I dont get the usual selection box.

C:\>gem install mongrel
ERROR:  Error installing mongrel:

c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install mongrel
creating Makefile

nmake
'nmake' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fastthread-1.0.1/ext/fastthread/gem_make.out

PS. for further investigation I have attached the output from running
the gem install with --debug flag
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On Nov 27, 2007 9:34 AM, Jesper Rønn-jensen <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Something suddenly went wrong in my ruby install.
>
> When installing Mongrel on my Windows XP laptop, it incorrectly tries to
> build it as a native extension. I don't even get the selection where I
> can choose to install a compiled version.
>
> I would appreciate any help/links or similar, as I frankly don't
> understand what's going on and why I dont get the usual selection box.

Two things:

What version of RubyGems are you using? 0.9.5 shows some problems with
mswin32 platform.

It seems this is the problem, since there is a native build of
fastthread for mswin32 (even that mongrel-mswin32 don't require it).

I suggest you revert to 0.9.4 until this issue get solved. Eric Hodel
is working on it.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
Luis Lavena wrote:

> What version of RubyGems are you using? 0.9.5 shows some problems with
> mswin32 platform.
>
> [...]
> I suggest you revert to 0.9.4 until this issue get solved. Eric Hodel
> is working on it.

Thanks for the quick answer! I really appreciate that.

but how do I revert to a previous version??

I tried these without luck:

>> gem uninstall rubygems -v 0.9.5
=> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
    Unknown gem rubygems-= 0.9.5
>> gem uninstall rubygems-update
=> Successfully uninstalled rubygems-update-0.9.5

Here is my gem environment:
C:\>gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.5 (0.9.5)
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [i386-mswin32]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: c:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - x86-mswin32-60
  - GEM PATHS:
     - c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org
8b72389daf4540ff086ec79c0c42c632?d=identicon&s=25 Jesper Rønn-jensen (jesperronn)
on 2007-11-27 14:47
Jesper wrote:
> but how do I revert to a previous version??

OK I found out. Downloaded version 0.9.4 from rubyforge then

gem install rubygems-update-0.9.4.gem

Thanks a lot for pointing me to it :)

/Jesper
Blog: www.justaddwater.dk

Note to self: release 0.9.4 downloaded from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
8b72389daf4540ff086ec79c0c42c632?d=identicon&s=25 Jesper Rønn-jensen (jesperronn)
on 2007-11-28 09:38
Here is the proper end of the story:

I tried to reinstall as described above, but 0.9.5 did not uninstall.
End of story was that I had to:

* uninstall C:\ruby
* reinstall gems

It took a bit longer. But finally worked.

/Jesper
Blog: www.justaddwater.dk
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On Nov 28, 2007 5:38 AM, Jesper Rønn-jensen <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Here is the proper end of the story:
>
> I tried to reinstall as described above, but 0.9.5 did not uninstall.
> End of story was that I had to:
>
> * uninstall C:\ruby
> * reinstall gems
>
> It took a bit longer. But finally worked.

Jesper, please excuse I couldn't answer you back yesterday, was a
nightmare here at the office (the redundant power supply of one server
crashed, all the 3!) So took us a lot of hard work to put it back
online.

Regarding your problem, you should have:

Downloaded rubygems-0.9.4.zip from rubyforge page [1]

Unpacked into any clean folder,

run: ruby setup.rb install

that should have overwrite your 0.9.5 installation.

If that didn't work as expected, you an also remove
lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 the files and folders for rubygems:

ubygems.rb rubygems.rb and rubygems folder.

Then install 0.9.4 again as described above.

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems

I'm sorry to hear about the problems at work. Hopefully things will work
out.
Thanks!

/Jesper
Fc9157fcd1723fa6b0eb9b2f9ada4ae0?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Thompson (philthompson)
on 2007-12-11 14:03

> Regarding your problem, you should have:
>
> Downloaded rubygems-0.9.4.zip from rubyforge page [1]
>
> Unpacked into any clean folder,
>
> run: ruby setup.rb install
>
> that should have overwrite your 0.9.5 installation.
>
> If that didn't work as expected, you an also remove
> lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 the files and folders for rubygems:
>
> ubygems.rb rubygems.rb and rubygems folder.
>
> Then install 0.9.4 again as described above.

Before I could do "ruby setup.rb install" I needed to do "ruby setup.rb
config". 0.9.4 then installed although it seemed to install the docs for
0.9.5.

Thanks for this.
Fc9157fcd1723fa6b0eb9b2f9ada4ae0?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Thompson (philthompson)
on 2007-12-12 18:49
simply "ruby setup.rb" seems to work too
On Dec 11, 2007 10:03 AM, Phil Thompson <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Before I could do "ruby setup.rb install" I needed to do "ruby setup.rb
> config". 0.9.4 then installed although it seemed to install the docs for
> 0.9.5.

Oh, I always forget about config _before_ install :-P

The 0.9.5 docs can be removed from lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc

I hope Eric and the RubyGems team release a fix soon, removes the joy
of using Ruby...

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems

I seem to be getting the same error... and I am on /9.4 of gems.. :(
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ashish

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Dec 11, 2007 10:03 AM, Phil Thompson <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>
>> Before I could do "ruby setup.rb install" I needed to do "ruby setup.rb
>> config". 0.9.4 then installed although it seemed to install the docs for
>> 0.9.5.
>>

> Oh, I always forget about config _before_ install :-P
>
> The 0.9.5 docs can be removed from lib/ruby/gems/1.8/doc
>
> I hope Eric and the RubyGems team release a fix soon, removes the joy
> of using Ruby...
>
> --
> Luis Lavena
> Multimedia systems
> -
> A common mistake that people make when trying to design
> something completely foolproof is to underestimate
> the ingenuity of complete fools.
> Douglas Adams
Fc9157fcd1723fa6b0eb9b2f9ada4ae0?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Thompson (philthompson)
on 2007-12-21 12:17
Mongrel is working with the latest Rails and Rubygems install. Rubygems
1.0 has been released which addresses many of the issues that Windows
users have been experiencing.

gem uninstall mongrel (select all versions)
gem update --system
gem install rails
gem install mongrel

Rubygems should no longer ask for a platform and should install
automatically. Anyone using mongrel_service though will still have
issues but it's being worked on so hoping to see a fix soon.
7857e6301c5dc7513faef9dc6f61868a?d=identicon&s=25 Ashish Chatterjee (mataal)
on 2007-12-21 14:39
Hi Phil,

Worked perfectly.. Thanks

Ashish

Phil Thompson wrote:
> Mongrel is working with the latest Rails and Rubygems install. Rubygems
> 1.0 has been released which addresses many of the issues that Windows
> users have been experiencing.
>
> gem uninstall mongrel (select all versions)
> gem update --system
> gem install rails
> gem install mongrel
>
> Rubygems should no longer ask for a platform and should install
> automatically. Anyone using mongrel_service though will still have
> issues but it's being worked on so hoping to see a fix soon.
B5102d8192a6c2d55b609d22e5484a22?d=identicon&s=25 Bacdh Do hai (bacdh)
on 2008-06-08 12:45
> C:\>gem install mongrel

when you install mongrel in win32, you need :
C:\>gem install mongrel_service
because, in win32 support mongrel in service to run webserver.
And then just run mongrel_rails to see what services