Forum: Mongrel Fresh install on Debian Etch - Mongrel immediately hangs

84047b889233fcefc77dc859922fd816?d=identicon&s=25 Benny Beesnus (otsu)

I just did a clean install of

Ruby 1.8.5
Rubygems 0.9.0

and the Mongrel and Mongrel_Cluster gems.

I used only the Debian Etch package manager, nothing compiled myself.

Now, on a testapp when I do a script/server, I get the:

** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix

warning. But it's not serving my app. Ruby is immediately on 100% CPU
load (and 0.7% memory) and stays there.

When I press CTRL-C on the console I started the server from, I get

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
=> Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Call with -d to detach
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server

but still, nothing is served and Ruby process at 100% CPU.

Trying to do a mongrel_rails -B to debug it produces no debug log. The
hang is very immediate.

Nothing in any logs.

Please help me!
44cbd795ae9185fc634ab8bc7939b3e3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas Wolff (Guest)
I had the same error a few days ago. Installing ruby 1.8.6 (from source)
fixed my problem. However: You may need to install gem
cgi_multipart_eof_fix

bye
rubyphunk
E3afd4d47c6d778bb937739f5b3d724b?d=identicon&s=25 Filipe (Guest)
22610bf26fbc5bd949c8ba4646ceb006?d=identicon&s=25 Paolo Capriotti (pcapriotti)
on 2007-12-17 10:15
Benny Beesnus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just did a clean install of
>
> Ruby 1.8.5
> Rubygems 0.9.0
>
> and the Mongrel and Mongrel_Cluster gems.
>
> I used only the Debian Etch package manager, nothing compiled myself.
>
> Now, on a testapp when I do a script/server, I get the:
>
> ** Ruby version is not up-to-date; loading cgi_multipart_eof_fix
>
> warning. But it's not serving my app. Ruby is immediately on 100% CPU
> load (and 0.7% memory) and stays there.
>
> When I press CTRL-C on the console I started the server from, I get
>
> => Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick)
> => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000
> => Call with -d to detach
> => Ctrl-C to shutdown server
>
> but still, nothing is served and Ruby process at 100% CPU.
>
> Trying to do a mongrel_rails -B to debug it produces no debug log. The
> hang is very immediate.

I've found that mongrel tries to require some library repeatedly,
because it gets an unrelated exception while trying to load it. For me,
the missing library was actually fastthread, and installing it solved
the problem.
To find out what is the actual error, add a print statement after line 8
in lib/mongrel/gems.rb.

Hope that helps,

Paolo Capriotti
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On Dec 17, 2007 6:15 AM, Paolo Capriotti <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
[...]
> I've found that mongrel tries to require some library repeatedly,
> because it gets an unrelated exception while trying to load it. For me,
> the missing library was actually fastthread, and installing it solved
> the problem.
> To find out what is the actual error, add a print statement after line 8
> in lib/mongrel/gems.rb.
>
> Hope that helps,

Paolo, you can confirm this behavior happens also with "mongrel_rails"
and not just script/server?

--
Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 6:15 AM, Paolo Capriotti <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I've found that mongrel tries to require some library repeatedly,
>> because it gets an unrelated exception while trying to load it. For me,
>> the missing library was actually fastthread, and installing it solved
>> the problem.
>> To find out what is the actual error, add a print statement after line 8
>> in lib/mongrel/gems.rb.
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>

> Paolo, you can confirm this behavior happens also with "mongrel_rails"
> and not just script/server?

Yes, it did happen. After installing fastthread, I can't reproduce it
anymore if I uninstall it. mongrel_rails now exits with a clean
backtrace when started without fastthread installed, and script/server
runs webrick instead.
I don't know what exactly was causing the problem... maybe a wrong
installed version of fastthread? The exception caught in
lib/mongrel/gems.rb:8 was:
'no such file to load -- fastthread' - sorry, I didn't save the
backtrace.

Paolo Capriotti
1471570c98865252c76fd8db961c0d4d?d=identicon&s=25 Emmett Shear (Guest)
I just had the same exact problem with the same solution. The wrong
platform
of fastthread was installed, which was causing mongrel to spin. That
should
probably dump with a stacktrace instead of spinning, I'll see if I can
learn
enough mongrel to write a patch.

Emmett

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 2:43 AM, Paolo Capriotti <lists@ruby-forum.com>