Forum: Ruby on Rails updating javascripts

B9a732fc30c32098347a0177c75ee27b?d=identicon&s=25 jeroen (Guest)

Is it possible to upgrade the javascripts bundled with Rails? Can I just
download the latest version from http://script.aculo.us/ and overwrite
the ones in my public/javascript folder?

Or would this break stuff?

Cheers,

Jeroen
05d703f649ef1d07e78d7b479fb4c4ac?d=identicon&s=25 james.adam (Guest)
rake update_javascripts, according to my 'rake --tasks'

- james
James Adam wrote:
> rake update_javascripts, according to my 'rake --tasks'
>
> - james

I think that just updates scripts to the latest version bundled with
rails. Running that task doesn't upgrade to the latest version available
on script.aculo.us

Jeroen
05d703f649ef1d07e78d7b479fb4c4ac?d=identicon&s=25 james.adam (Guest)
Aaaaaaah I see what you mean now, and you're right.
C0483a54563846444c0151244c43da66?d=identicon&s=25 bruce (Guest)
Coming from a WebObjects/Objective-C background, I've never been a fan
of
Java so when I first discovered Rails I was quite pleased for all the
same
reasons that it's generated so much buzz so quickly.  However, having
worked
in Java for the past few years out of necessity, the one concern that I
have
in using RoR in my professional life is that as lousy as the Java
language
is, there are a lot of good commercial and open source frameworks
available
for it.  I'd hate to lose the ability to rely on some of them for my
projects (obviously there's a lot of crap out there too, but that's
neither
here nor there).

I'm curious whether this has been issue for anyone working in Rails.
Have
you come across problems that there were Java frameworks available to
address that don't yet exist in Ruby?  How about using Java classes from
Ruby using rjni, JRuby or some other solution?  Is this something that
is
currently supported and if so how well does it work?  If not, is it
something that is actively being worked on?

I'm skeptical of this approach based on my experience with an earlier
version of the WebObjects application server that was written in
Objective-C
but allowed you to write your application in Java using Apple's
proprietary
Java/Objective-C bridge.  It mostly worked, but the performance wasn't
so
great, there were memory leaks and every once in awhile you'd get
strange
unexplained exceptions.

Thanks,

Bruce
A5877d701b5d6af7f990ced46067ca85?d=identicon&s=25 adam (Guest)
On Dec 9, 2005, at 10:40 PM, Bruce Fancher wrote:

> language
> is, there are a lot of good commercial and open source frameworks
> available
> for it.

Bruce, if you don't find what you need such that you may continue
using Rails and your favorite Java thingy, you may want to consider
Sails (www.opensails.org). It gives you 'the spirit of Rails in
Java', if I may be so bold. We are using it on our second major
project. It continues to improve almost every day. Sorry -
ActiveRecord is not available there, though we are working on
Prevayler and Hibernate 3 persistence apis that will make web-
application life in Java a bit more bearable.

  adam williams
  http://rubyeclipse.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.opensails.org