Forum: Inkscape A problem with Greek letters

9297b7285676c55aa162ee7b838b1f31?d=identicon&s=25 Nihixul (Guest)
I have recently moved my work from an old laptop to my new one. On my
new
laptop, Inkscape (which is likely a slightly newer version than that on
my
old laptop) is not correctly rendering any of the Greek letters in my
figures. A sigma is shown as an 's', etc.

All letters were composed in verdana using copy/paste from character map
in
Windows XP. They have transferred to two other computers correctly (and
obviously show up correctly on the old laptop). I can compose NEW Greek
letters via this method on these SVG's perfectly. I am using Version
.45.1.
Other special figures, like the bullet and the infinity symbol, rendered
fine.

Any ideas?

I searched the forum for the keywords "Greek letters" but I found
nothing
useful.
The only thing I can think of off hand is that you had additionally
fonts installed on the old machines and not currently installed on the
new one. Inkscape will default to a similiar font as it can if the
correct font is not installed.

Joshua L. Blocher
verbalshadow
9297b7285676c55aa162ee7b838b1f31?d=identicon&s=25 Nihixul (Guest)
Context: (Verdana) Greek letters on Inkscape SVG's composed on old
laptop
show up as (Verdana)
Latin counterparts when the files are loaded into Inkscape on a new
laptop.

Joshua Blocher wrote:

> The only thing I can think of off hand is that you had additionally
> fonts installed on the old machines and not currently installed on the
> new one. Inkscape will default to a similiar font as it can if the
> correct font is not installed.

I considered that originally, but the text is in verdana, and Inkscape
(on
the new laptop) recognizes (and displays) it as such. These images are
finished, so it isn't imperative that I edit these files (the .eps files
embed in my thesis, also copied from the old laptop, are rendering
correctly), but if I did have to update them for some reason, I would
have
to correct all of the Greek letters.
> > fonts installed on the old machines and not currently installed on the
> --
Some more ideas.

Does replacing the incorrect symbol with a correct one still show
incorrectly?

Have you tried it with a different font that also has Greek letters
and see if that makes a difference?

See how the text shows in other apps. does it show correctly?

Did you shift to/from UTF/Unicode/etc or change locales? I don't know
if this could be caused by that or not.

OS, Inkscape version, maybe a sample to look at, and any other info
you think matters

These should give use an idea of whether or not it's Inkscape specific
and give you better details for filing a bug report with us assuming
that it's our bug.

Joshua L. Blocher
verbalshadow
2317dc3dc7fbe56c18687c91652b8369?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Lilley (Guest)
On Tuesday, October 23, 2007, 11:06:01 PM, Joshua wrote:

JB> The only thing I can think of off hand is that you had additionally
JB> fonts installed on the old machines and not currently installed on
the
JB> new one. Inkscape will default to a similiar font as it can if the
JB> correct font is not installed.

If new Greek letters can be added and show correctly, its not the font.
It sounds to me more as if the transfer involved loading the document
into a non Unicode-aware editor. I have seen some text editors produce
that sort of 'closest ascii match' substitution.

JB> Joshua L. Blocher
JB> verbalshadow

JB> On 10/23/07, Nihixul <thomas.horine@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have recently moved my work from an old laptop to my new one. On my new
>> laptop, Inkscape (which is likely a slightly newer version than that on my
>> old laptop) is not correctly rendering any of the Greek letters in my
>> figures. A sigma is shown as an 's', etc.

>> All letters were composed in verdana using copy/paste from character map in
>> Windows XP. They have transferred to two other computers correctly (and
>> obviously show up correctly on the old laptop). I can compose NEW Greek
>> letters via this method on these SVG's perfectly. I am using Version .45.1.
>> Other special figures, like the bullet and the infinity symbol, rendered
>> fine.

>> Any ideas?

>> I searched the forum for the keywords "Greek letters" but I found nothing
>> useful.
>> --

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group