Forum: Ruby how to ignore warning

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
721136087b51db830d3df8911d01f057?d=identicon&s=25 Sniper A. (mokkai)
on 2007-10-11 05:08
how to ignore warning messages in ruby (when executing ruby code)
9e6646ff1975aa219bcfe33704687922?d=identicon&s=25 Konrad M. (konrad)
on 2007-10-11 05:28
(Received via mailing list)
Quoth Pokkai Dokkai:
> how to ignore warning messages in ruby (when executing ruby code)

Close your eyes and tap your heels thrice.
No, really, ignoring things is as easy as not looking at them. (In all
likelihood you should fix your code to not have warnings instead.)

Regards,
Alex Gutteridge (Guest)
on 2007-10-11 05:49
(Received via mailing list)
On 11 Oct 2007, at 12:26, Konrad Meyer wrote:

> Quoth Pokkai Dokkai:
>> how to ignore warning messages in ruby (when executing ruby code)
>
> Close your eyes and tap your heels thrice.
> No, really, ignoring things is as easy as not looking at them. (In all
> likelihood you should fix your code to not have warnings instead.)

I agree with Konrad that you should probably fix warnings rather than
ignore, but -W is the command line flag you want. -W1 is standard, -
W2 is verbose, -W0 is no warnings whatsoever.

Alex Gutteridge

Bioinformatics Center
Kyoto University
721136087b51db830d3df8911d01f057?d=identicon&s=25 Sniper A. (mokkai)
on 2007-10-11 06:28
Alex Gutteridge wrote:

> I agree with Konrad that you should probably fix warnings rather than
> ignore, but -W is the command line flag you want. -W1 is standard, -
> W2 is verbose, -W0 is no warnings whatsoever.
>
> Alex Gutteridge
>
> Bioinformatics Center
> Kyoto University

thank you Alex
306ee59fda7d151a5962daa51485b66f?d=identicon&s=25 Wolfgang N. (wonado)
on 2007-10-11 12:22
Alex Gutteridge wrote:
> -W is the command line flag you want. -W1 is standard, -
> W2 is verbose, -W0 is no warnings whatsoever.

Is there a possibility to ignore warnings dynamically? - I mean,
sometimes it's helpful to redefine constants, which will always produce
a warning. I want to suppress warnings for these lines only.

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner
Bertram Scharpf (Guest)
on 2007-10-11 12:25
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 11. Okt 2007, 12:48:22 +0900 schrieb Alex Gutteridge:
> -W1 is standard, -W2 is
> verbose, -W0 is no warnings whatsoever.

Or set one of the variables $-v, $-w, $VERBOSE to 'nil'.

   Option    $-v
   -W0       nil
   -W1       false
   -W2       true

Bertram
Bertram Scharpf (Guest)
on 2007-10-11 13:52
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 11. Okt 2007, 19:22:31 +0900 schrieb Wolfgang
Nádasi-Donner:
> Alex Gutteridge wrote:
> > -W is the command line flag you want. -W1 is standard, -
> > W2 is verbose, -W0 is no warnings whatsoever.
>
> Is there a possibility to ignore warnings dynamically? - I mean,
> sometimes it's helpful to redefine constants, which will always produce
> a warning. I want to suppress warnings for these lines only.


  irb(main):001:0> X = "x"
  => "x"
  irb(main):002:0> class Object ; remove_const :X ; end
  => "x"
  irb(main):003:0> X
  NameError: uninitialized constant X
          from (irb):3
  irb(main):004:0> X = "y"
  => "y"
  irb(main):005:0>


Bertram
306ee59fda7d151a5962daa51485b66f?d=identicon&s=25 Wolfgang N. (wonado)
on 2007-10-11 14:55
Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>   irb(main):001:0> X = "x"
>   => "x"
>   irb(main):002:0> class Object ; remove_const :X ; end
>   => "x"
>   irb(main):003:0> X
>   NameError: uninitialized constant X
>           from (irb):3
>   irb(main):004:0> X = "y"
>   => "y"
>   irb(main):005:0>

Well - it looks fine, because it's no dirty trick.

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner
E56b77bf3cfb4d21fbf04a5bf943a36e?d=identicon&s=25 Rick D. (rdenatale)
on 2007-10-11 15:06
(Received via mailing list)
On 10/10/07, Konrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org> wrote:
> Quoth Pokkai Dokkai:
> > how to ignore warning messages in ruby (when executing ruby code)
>
> Close your eyes and tap your heels thrice.
> No, really, ignoring things is as easy as not looking at them.

Or cover your head with your towel, rubyists should ALWAYS have their
towel handy.

And as the Hitchhiker's Guide to Ruby explains this is also the best
defense against being eaten by the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal!
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
Daniel Berger (Guest)
on 2007-10-16 14:08
(Received via mailing list)
Bertram Scharpf wrote:
>
>   irb(main):001:0> X = "x"
>   => "x"
>   irb(main):002:0> class Object ; remove_const :X ; end
>   => "x"
>   irb(main):003:0> X
>   NameError: uninitialized constant X
>           from (irb):3
>   irb(main):004:0> X = "y"
>   => "y"
>   irb(main):005:0>

Yuck.

I've pushed for structured warnings in the past, but it has fallen on
deaf ears.

See:

http://osdir.com/ml/lang.ruby.sydney.devel/2005-10...
http://osdir.com/ml/lang.ruby.sydney.devel/2005-10...
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/...

Regards,

Dan
0b680c30819c46c4bdb96c9ed1930d7b?d=identicon&s=25 Shai R. (shai)
on 2007-10-16 14:57
Rick Denatale wrote:
> Or cover your head with your towel, rubyists should ALWAYS have their
> towel handy.
>
> And as the Hitchhiker's Guide to Ruby explains this is also the best
> defense against being eaten by the ravenous bugblatter beast of Traal!
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby
> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

likin' it :)
2ef896a321125cbb82ff1748e6862448?d=identicon&s=25 Bob A. (bob-asdflkj)
on 2009-11-19 22:37
Konrad Meyer wrote:
> Quoth Pokkai Dokkai:
>> how to ignore warning messages in ruby (when executing ruby code)
>
> Close your eyes and tap your heels thrice.
> No, really, ignoring things is as easy as not looking at them. (In all
> likelihood you should fix your code to not have warnings instead.)
>
> Regards,

Ruby will spit out warnings for white space  -  with no coding errors,

and many programming languages output warnings for using anything but
the most basic techniques

so weather you're a novice or a seasoned veteran there are valid reasons
to suppress warnings:  after all, it does have W levels
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.