Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails on WAMP

Ee7af5a5c6456b444c748292f6558021?d=identicon&s=25 Elvis Parsley (elvisparsley)
on 2007-10-07 12:46
I am using WAMP(windows, Apache, mySQL and PHP) for my web development.
So I have already MySQL and Apache working. Could any one tell me how to
install Ruby on Rails on this environment? Can I just put ror in the
root directory, www?

A newbie needs your help. :-)
340b7148e5545be7e30d0a2d6a40d23f?d=identicon&s=25 CCH (Guest)
Hi Elvis

The fastest way to do RoR is to use InstantRails

On Oct 7, 6:46 pm, Elvis Parsley <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Ee7af5a5c6456b444c748292f6558021?d=identicon&s=25 Elvis Parsley (elvisparsley)

But I read somewhere that installing more than one mysql will not work.
What worries me to install InstantRails will confrict with my present
other installation.

How to avoid it??
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
Elvis Parsley wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> But I read somewhere that installing more than one mysql will not work.
> What worries me to install InstantRails will confrict with my present
> other installation.
>
> How to avoid it??

Installing more than one MySQL works.  It's just that you will need to
make sure that they start on different ports.  In the case of
Instantrails, in the directory X:\InstantRails\mysql there is a file
called my.ini - add a line like this to it:
port=3307

Note that 3306 is the default MySQL port; it must be set differently
here for the one that you want to launch on a different port.

That said, your Rails application will need to be adjusted to work with
this.  You will need to change config/database.yml to include the port
number in it.  You will need to do something like this:
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: app_development
  username: root
  password:
  host: localhost
  port: 3307

(note the port line)

Cheers
Mohit.
Ee7af5a5c6456b444c748292f6558021?d=identicon&s=25 Elvis Parsley (elvisparsley)
on 2007-10-08 09:39
Thanks Mohit for your tips.

Does having two apache create any problem or any conflicts?
Elvis Parsley wrote:
> Thanks Mohit for your tips.
>

> Does having two apache create any problem or any conflicts?

I don't use Apache while I'm doing development.  So, I usually don't
start the Apache server on the InstantRails.  I use webrick/ mongrel
(got by typing ruby script\server in the Rails application's directory)
and that starts on Port 3000.

I guess it should be possible to start 2 Apache servers as long as they
run on different ports.  But, I haven't tried that, so I'm not sure.

Cheers
Mohit.
5233478c51a92b6a1a5c970cbf3a42f3?d=identicon&s=25 Isak Hansen (Guest)

> Thanks,
>
> But I read somewhere that installing more than one mysql will not work.
> What worries me to install InstantRails will confrict with my present
> other installation.
>
> How to avoid it??

Ditch instant rails and use the one-click Ruby installer with your
current mysql install (or preferrably postgresql or sqlite3..).

Apache isn't part of the RoR development environment anyway, and would
only give you head aches. All you need to work with Rails is Ruby,
RubyGems, a database and the rails- and db-connection gems.

If you want the experience of setting up a 'production' environment,
use your existing apache install for that too. Stick with standalone
webrick or mongrel for development, though.

Regards,
Isak
288d11bfa5e5c54aa41600cac752acb2?d=identicon&s=25 The Dro (dro)
on 2009-12-23 04:52
Isak Hansen wrote:

>> Thanks,
>>
>> But I read somewhere that installing more than one mysql will not work.
>> What worries me to install InstantRails will confrict with my present
>> other installation.
>>
>> How to avoid it??
>
> Ditch instant rails and use the one-click Ruby installer with your
> current mysql install (or preferrably postgresql or sqlite3..).
>
> Apache isn't part of the RoR development environment anyway, and would
> only give you head aches. All you need to work with Rails is Ruby,
> RubyGems, a database and the rails- and db-connection gems.
>
> If you want the experience of setting up a 'production' environment,
> use your existing apache install for that too. Stick with standalone
> webrick or mongrel for development, though.
>

> Regards,
> Isak

I think the whole point of this thread was to ask how to do what you
just said.
I am having the same issue. I use WAMP for a couple of sites that are
currently live on the net and would like to program one in Rails using
the same files. I did the one click installer as well as installing gems
and rails and I'm still having some issues with my applications. Is
there a file where I need to set ruby to use that part of Wamp even
though I'm running mongrel too...
Existing account

No account? Register here.