Forum: Ruby on Rails Files created by RoR are uneditable

84e801aa2599cf03b96fcf074c951c7c?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Pigford (jpigford)
on 2005-11-23 04:56
Files that are created when say I run generate controller ______
apparently have some sort of permissions set that won't let me overwrite
them. So say I create something_controller.rb...if I edit it in TextMate
and then try to re-upload it (I've tried both Transmit and Dreamweaver)
I just get a message saying I don't have permission to overwrite it. Any
ideas?
2a0f7bd2c54fbc44329d69555b96f1c5?d=identicon&s=25 kevin.jackson (Guest)
Josh Pigford wrote:

>Files that are created when say I run generate controller ______
>apparently have some sort of permissions set that won't let me overwrite
>them. So say I create something_controller.rb...if I edit it in TextMate
>and then try to re-upload it (I've tried both Transmit and Dreamweaver)
>I just get a message saying I don't have permission to overwrite it. Any
>ideas?

sounds like unix-style permissions on the file at the server.  I assume
that you are editing a local copy and uploading (the comment about
Transmit) and that you are on Mac OS X.

Check the owner of the remote files

1 - log in to the server with a terminal style application (or ssh
depending on the security)
2 - ls -l should give you all the file permissions and the current owner

Change owner

1 - chown filename username (I think, man chown for exact syntax)

This should allow you to overwrite

Kev
Cf7e5e4b5ca573eec214191fac420a2f?d=identicon&s=25 dave (Guest)
On Wednesday 23 Nov 2005 04:30, Kev Jackson wrote:
> 1 - chown filename username (I think, man chown for exact syntax)

It's the other way around:

chown username filename

;-)

~Dave