Forum: Ruby Best IDE for ruby and rails development

223c5ed7adf8affc74ac217909a96d63?d=identicon&s=25 AJay Maurya (Guest)
Hi All

Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

cheers

Jeet

> Hi All
>
> Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

shell and vi

-Thomas

--
Thomas Preymesser
thopre@gmail.com
On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.

Best regards,
Arthur Murauskas.
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
AJay Maurya wrote:

> cheers
>
> Jeet

Increasingly, I'm using NetBeans for Ruby and RoR.  On the other hand,
for Windows apps using Ruby, I'm using WideStudio (it supports a lot of
other platforms too).
04952a6ee948f345e9c3727850d09a1b?d=identicon&s=25 dima (Guest)
On Sep 4, 10:15 am, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_m...@onghu.com> wrote:
> Increasingly, I'm using NetBeans for Ruby and RoR.  On the other hand,
> for Windows apps using Ruby, I'm using WideStudio (it supports a lot of
> other platforms too).

As said so many times Aptana and eclipse on XP and Linux.
223c5ed7adf8affc74ac217909a96d63?d=identicon&s=25 AJay Maurya (Guest)
I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:15 +0900, Arthur Murauskas wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using
>
> http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.
>
> Best regards,
> Arthur Murauskas.
Cheers
Jeet

I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 17:15 +0900, Arthur Murauskas wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using
>
> http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.
>
> Best regards,
> Arthur Murauskas.
Cheers
Jeet

IDEs are personal.  You can use anything that works for you.  I'd
recommend trying out a couple.  For the longest time, i was just using a
text editor with syntax highlighting for Ruby.

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/4/2007 | 5:59 PM.
Ac0085dae0703db56ad7f8cb9e1798ba?d=identicon&s=25 Phil (Guest)

Amount of features != quality of IDE.

My recommendation, as well as of others, download a few IDEs, and test
drive
them to find out with which one you are most comfortable. That will be
the
best IDE you can find: Yours.

I personally use NetBeans[0], for work across multiple files, and
SciTE[1]
for quick-and-dirty scripts, and irb[2] for quick
prototyping/proof-of-concept work.

[0] http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/ contains the build I
use
and frequently update.
[1] http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html comes with the Windows
Ruby-One-Click installer, and is crossplatform (I've used it on Windows
and
Linux)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_Ruby_Shell Ruby's own shell
38bba2bd1b6621d394bfa91c8813828d?d=identicon&s=25 Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug) (Guest)
AJay Maurya wrote:
>      I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
> radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

Netbeans 6.0 is a better IDE. Have support to Ruby On Rails and Ruby.
C8840bff779d9acaa15d1628f7869d12?d=identicon&s=25 stephen O'D (Guest)
On Sep 4, 1:10 pm, "Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)"
<jo...@onda.com.br> wrote:
> AJay Maurya wrote:
> >      I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
> > radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?
>
> Netbeans 6.0 is a better IDE. Have support to Ruby On Rails and Ruby.
>
> --
> Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)http://goes.eti.br

Emacs is always worth a shout - works the same on windows, linux,
terminal and OS X and has good Ruby and Rails support.  There is a bit
of messing about to get it working though, but you can always read my
tutorial:
http://sodonnell.wordpress.com/the-emacs-newbie-gu...
if you are interested!
On 9/4/07, Arthur Murauskas <arthur.murauskas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 September 2007 10:31:23 AJay Maurya wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> > at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using
>
> http://aptana.com or eclipse with aptana and rad rails plugins.

Personally I currently use vim with a bunch of plugins.

I tried out radrails this weekend, but found that it just performs
horribly on the hardware I've got available.  Part of me thinks I
SHOULD be using it since I actually worked on Eclipse and it's
predecessors at IBM, but...

I've got my eyes on a Macbook, hopefully in the not too distant
future, so I'll probably follow the textmate herd.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
899f97295621824a5f482a286f5062ca?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Woertink (nuby2ruby)
on 2007-09-04 19:43
AJay Maurya wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using

> cheers
>
> Jeet
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> It is only people of small moral stature who have to stand on their
> dignity.

I guess it depends on which OS your using. If your using MacOSX then I
might recommend textmate, for windows there is a IDE that is very
similar to textmate called "e" which works ok. The one I use and prefer
though for windows, or linux is Komodo. It has a very nice color scheme
editor and it allows you to make snippets for code short cuts along with
a really cool Regexp helper tool. It also does smart formatting and auto
completing.

~Jeremy
629266ef4c3f1705dff4cec490c2b223?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Promislow (Guest)
I do all my Rails programming in Komodo as well, but I'm also one
of the developers on it. So when I see something isn't working well
I can turn around quickly and put out a fix.  The team has also
implemented automatic updates, using the same mechanism that
Firefox and Thunderbird use, since it's a Mozilla app as well.

Komodo Edit is a free-as-in-beer version, and has all the basic
Rails support except for a debugger.  And while it isn't an
open source project, most of it is implemented in Python,
JavaScript, CSS, and XUL, and we ship all that, and accept
patches.

- Eric
D7f3b9d3cfb10e0f9e0f2c875d164e7d?d=identicon&s=25 barabba (Guest)
I use always Arachno IDE for ruby and also for rails development. It
has a big potential but supports mainly windows (linux version is too
old). Eclipse is for me too big. Vim and Emacs are complex to setup.
425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
On Sep 4, 2007, at 3:46 AM, Thomas Preymesser wrote:

> shell and vi

Bah! echo and an empty file

> Bah! echo and an empty file

Back in my day, we didn't have echos. And we liked it that way. ;)
6e1acc27210e7cd7318baf007702fc2f?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Johnson (Guest)
They released a new version of the ruby plugin for intellij today.  It
adds a lot of functionality/features and comes with the stability and
usability of intellij.

you can download a trial of the next version of intellij here
http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/IDEADE...

The ruby plugin (v.0.2) can be found here
http://www.jetbrains.net/confluence/display/RUBYDE...

make sure to give it a try.  I find when doing rails apps i can "develop
with pleasure!"

Todd
526cec80328cb23b9b6fabb751e11a5c?d=identicon&s=25 Terry Poulin (Guest)
AJay Maurya wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Could anyone tell me which is best IDE for ruby and rails development.
> at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are using
>
> cheers
>
> Jeet

Since you seem to be looking for an IDE to use, I will separate my
message
into two parts. The first, how to go about finding a good IDE for _you_
and
second about my Integrated Development Environment choices.

Finding the right IDE for you:

You need to ask your self some questions about your work habits and
needs first.

0.) What Operating System are you using such as Windows XP, Debian,
NetBSD,
Mac OS X, e.t.c. Will you need to work on different platforms? For
example I
often work on  Ruby files from Windows XP and FreeBSD. -> You need an
IDE that
supports your work environment(s).

1.) What level of experience do you have or wish to have with the
technology
involved. Do you prefer point & click friendly or like textual
interaction?
With Ruby you shouldn't be afraid of running Ruby programs from the
Command
Line Interface, it's really very simple in Ruby. If you want to just
mouse
away, you'll want an IDE that offers Graphical front ends for Running
and
Debugging your programs. This could get more complicated for Rails, I'm
not
sure as I've only used IDE's for oriented for regular programming (not
Web
Development). Play to your strengths, needs to learn, or requirements
for ease
of learning.

2.) How much will you use the software? If you spend little time working
on
source code any text editor will do, preferably any thing that can
convert
between Unix/DOS/Mac style file formats (search wikipeda for end of line
if
interested on that subject). If you edit files _A_L_O_T_ you will want
an
editing system that is comfortable for you to use, very powerful, and
extensibility would be a plus.

3.) Do you use more then one Language? This is a two pronged question,
you'll
need an IDE that supports what ever character set and language you use.
For
example, some people may prefer an IDE that works in Japanese but write
their
code in English. Also the same for Programming Languages. If you'll only
be
working in Ruby/Rails some thing Ruby oriented will be fine, if you are
only
doing Web Development some thing geared for it with plugins for Ruby
would
probably be best. If like me, you like learning several different
programming
languages but not IDE's and Keystrokes, you'll want some thing that can
handle
multiple languages well.

Generally I suggest KDevelop, Visual Studio, and Eclipse to people
depending
on their needs. I have never used Eclipse or NetBeans but I hear they
are very
good IDE's.

Play to your strengths, list your needs and fill them, and try IDE's.
You can
also find a bit of a comparison on IDE's here,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integra...

About my Development Environment.

My first IDE was Dev-C++, I liked it a lot but soon I found that I did
not
want to use a different IDE for each language I'd ever use. Dev-C++,
Code::Blocks (C/C++), KDevelop (_many_ languages!), and Microsoft Visual
C++
2005 Express Edition, I've tried but never found useful. For the IDE's
I've
used, Visual Studio is by far the most mature user interface (but the
compiler
can kiss my grits), while KDevelop is probably the most featureful I've
used
but is Linux focused. I require tools that can be used on at least the
most
major OS groups: Windows NT, Linux/GNU, Mac OS X, and BSD Unix.

I decided I would skip IDE's all together and use a POTE, Plain Old Text
Editor ! For this there are many, choosing one goes the same way as an
IDE.
The Editors I normally suggest to people are Emacs, Vim, KATE, and
occasionally jEdit.

I predominantly use Vim, it's extremely powerful, the best documented
application I have EVER seen, extensible, customizable, and like any
good Text
Editor with Programmers in mind. Has support for many languages,
including
Ruby.

I write my code in Vim, some times I use MicroEMACS, New Vi, or KATE but
mostly it's Vim. I keep it in one tab on my terminal emulator (Konsole).

I keep language documentation handy, be it via man, ri, perldoc, QT
Assistant,
or just online documentation. usually I employ another Konsole tab or a
Web
Browser for this.

And I keep a tab in my terminal emulator open for running and debugging
the
program. When working with Ruby I usually have a tab with irb running as
well.
The interactive Ruby interpretor is an invaluable command line tool for
working with Ruby. It is definitly one of the reasons I enjoy using Ruby
so
much ! -> No need to write a scratch file(s) to test code before
including it
in my current prototype.

Emacs, IDE's, and Vim can all do these things through their provided
interfaces as can many other good editors. I just do things the way I
prefer.
Using a text editor like Vim or Emacs I can have the same environment
for many
languages and on many platforms, this is what I like.

TerryP.

Languages: C, English, Ruby, Perl, C++, Java, XHTML, CSS, PHP, learning
German
and wishing for the time to learn Ada!
899f97295621824a5f482a286f5062ca?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Woertink (nuby2ruby)
If your on a windows or even linux system I might recommend to you
Komodo
IDE. It has a very good and customizable syntax highlighting, Regexp
tool
kit, customized indentation guides, allows you to track projects and a
lot
of other stuff. If you are on a Mac, textmate seems to be the most
popular.
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:00:14AM +0900, Ari Brown wrote:
> >>at least we can know features of IDEs that other ruby people are
> >>using
> >

> >shell and vi
>
> Bah! echo and an empty file

Vim and tcsh, darnit.

This isn't the stone age, you know.
On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 07:50:36PM +0900, Phil wrote:

> Amount of features != quality of IDE.
>
> My recommendation, as well as of others, download a few IDEs, and test drive
> them to find out with which one you are most comfortable. That will be the
> best IDE you can find: Yours.
>
> I personally use NetBeans[0], for work across multiple files, and SciTE[1]
> for quick-and-dirty scripts, and irb[2] for quick
> prototyping/proof-of-concept work.

I mostly only use SciTE when trapped on MS Windows -- which raises the
question:

  To what OS platform is this question meant to be relevant?

The answer to the question of what IDE is best (for you) may vary
depending on your OS environment.
On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 09:40:13PM +0900, stephen O'D wrote:

> Emacs is always worth a shout - works the same on windows, linux,
> terminal and OS X and has good Ruby and Rails support.  There is a bit
> of messing about to get it working though, but you can always read my
> tutorial: http://sodonnell.wordpress.com/the-emacs-newbie-gu...
> if you are interested!

Perhaps relevant:

  http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/pictures/curves.jpg

My vote still goes to Vim, tcsh, and urxvt.
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 04:15:07AM +0900, barabba wrote:
> I use always Arachno IDE for ruby and also for rails development. It
> has a big potential but supports mainly windows (linux version is too
> old). Eclipse is for me too big. Vim and Emacs are complex to setup.

I don't find Vim to be complex to set up at all.  I do something like
this at the shell:

  # portinstall vim

. . . and in a few moments, it's set up.  I wonder what complexities
you've encountered.
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:56:16AM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> remotely resembling programming in Perl, Ruby or R.
I do, too, for shell-like stuff (re: Perl and Ruby).  I just use tcsh as
the environment that glues my "IDE" together.

Am I the only person here tempted to pronounce tcsh "taco shell"?
0becf2efe6884b1d4568346c7a56e391?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Donald (Guest)
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:00:14AM +0900, Ari Brown wrote:
> Bah! echo and an empty file

# dd if=/dev/tty of=/dev/hda1
526cec80328cb23b9b6fabb751e11a5c?d=identicon&s=25 Terry Poulin (Guest)

Haha !
On Tuesday 04 September 2007 20:13:03 Rick DeNatale wrote:
> Personally I currently use vim with a bunch of plugins.
>
> I tried out radrails this weekend, but found that it just performs
> horribly on the hardware I've got available.  Part of me thinks I
> SHOULD be using it since I actually worked on Eclipse and it's
> predecessors at IBM, but...
>
> I've got my eyes on a Macbook, hopefully in the not too distant
> future, so I'll probably follow the textmate herd.

Yup, on my machine java needs about 200Mb of memory to feel fine.

Best regards,
Arthur Murauskas.
F8fd54072606eaf5603484e756672034?d=identicon&s=25 John Wells (Guest)
----- "AJay Maurya" <amaurya@brickred.com> wrote:
> I am still confused which IDE to choose among freeride, aptana,
> radrails ,netbeans which is most feature rich ?

I've run the whole gamut, from RadRails to vim to emacs to FreeRide to
jEdit to textmate to Netbeans....and I can safely say that NetBeans, in
terms of an "IDE", wins hands down. It has the best auto-complete
features and incredible debugging capabilities built right in. You will
not go wrong with NB.

Now, I'm not saying it's any better for *you* than emacs or vim or jEdit
or textmate...that is highly subjective. Nor am I saying it's any better
for text editing. Just that, in terms of what most consider an IDE by
today's standards, NetBeans is the best available for Ruby.

John
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:07:35AM +0900, Greg Donald wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 05:00:14AM +0900, Ari Brown wrote:
> > Bah! echo and an empty file
>
> # dd if=/dev/tty of=/dev/hda1

I think you "win".  I'm still going to use Vim and tcsh, though.
9dec3df8319c613f6f4f14a27da0fdb4?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Schmitt (Guest)
Not to divert the flow of thought at all but...
has anyone successfully been able to integrate camping with NetBeans
for development?  I was playing with it this weekend, and ended up
resorting to manually running camping from a terminal, instead of
being able to launch it from NB.
Hopefully it's just because I'm a netbeans noob!

--Kyle
0a5391b2f3c8aea510ebed66b29998f3?d=identicon&s=25 Sammy Larbi (Guest)
Let me rephrase the question to something more answerable:

Which IDE do you use for Ruby and/or Rails development, and why do you
use
that IDE?

And to the original poster:  What features are you looking for in an IDE
for
Ruby?

I use SciTE because it has Ruby syntax highlighting, can export
colored-code
to HTML, and is super-quick to load.  It also shows the console when
running
your script, without going out to the command prompt.  But, I don't use
it
for hard-core development.  If I were using it for hard-core
development,
I'd like as many of the features from Jetbrains' IntelliJ IDEA as you
could
possibly get, but for Ruby.

Which IDE has the most of those?  Recently, Charles Nutter said some
good
things about NetBeans
(http://headius.blogspot.com/2007/08/netbeans-ruby-...
), but I haven't tried it yet myself.  Can anyone say which Ruby IDEs
are
similar to IDEA, and in what ways (or ReSharper if you are more familiar
with the .NET world)?  I realize some things would be near-impossibility
in
a dynamic language, without tracing from the start of a program to how
you
get to a particular piece of code.

-Sammy Larbi
8b871d1a509d99eda46cddf8b4e4cbcb?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Plummer (Guest)
This question comes up from time to time.  My vote, if you have been
using Microsoft Visual Studio, is the Ruby In Steel plugin for VS.  It's
not free, but well worth the price.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/

Take a few minutes and view the videos if you want to see the product in
action.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/Ruby-In-Steel-Movies

Bill
Existing account