Forum: Ruby-Forum.com The RForum Way

A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2005-11-22 20:55
This is the first I've seen or heard of RForum.  Am I the only one that
thinks this has a different feel than all other forums?  I could
probably live with all the tiny subtle differences, but the one that
totally stands out is this:

Typical forums organize material in this sort of heirarchy:

Root > Forums/Categories > Topics/Threads > Posts

This RForum seems to be doing it like this:

Root > Forums > Posts

Although this is not impossible for me to wrap my head around, it just
feels like such a radical departure from normal forum practice and
convention.  Is this intentional?  Am I making a mountain out of a
molehill?  :)

Otherwise, I am quite pleased to see ruby-forum.com because I have an
aversion to mailing lists and much prefer forums.
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-23 12:40
pistos wrote:
> Typical forums organize material in this sort of heirarchy:
>
> Root > Forums/Categories > Topics/Threads > Posts
>
> This RForum seems to be doing it like this:
>
> Root > Forums > Posts

No. The hierarchy is forum.topic.post. What makes you think this is
different?

Andreas
A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2005-11-23 15:57
> No. The hierarchy is forum.topic.post. What makes you think this is
> different?

Ah, I think I see how I got confused.  In
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4
threads like the Euchre thread show up multiple times, and I suspect
it's because the fact that those posts are part of the same thread are
not being picked up.  I shall refrain from assigning blame, because I
don't think anyone's at fault.  It could well be that such situations
are unavoidable when you're trying to mirror a mailing list.

Okay, carry on, carry on!  :)

Pistos
3a83969376c805ef5b6042191fdb0ff3?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S. (andreas)
on 2005-11-24 14:19
pistos wrote:
>> No. The hierarchy is forum.topic.post. What makes you think this is
>> different?
>
> Ah, I think I see how I got confused.  In
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/4
> threads like the Euchre thread show up multiple times, and I suspect
> it's because the fact that those posts are part of the same thread are
> not being picked up.  I shall refrain from assigning blame, because I
> don't think anyone's at fault.  It could well be that such situations
> are unavoidable when you're trying to mirror a mailing list.

It's the fault of broken Email clients that do not set a correct
References or In-Reply-To headers.

Andreas