Forum: Ruby on Rails 'Coming from' rails...to php, help

181976602397443ce119909b9d82cae2?d=identicon&s=25 blinking bear (Guest)
I have to put together a quick proposal for a site that, for now, is set
be PHP.  Hopefully we can change that, but I could use some help with
PHP
best practices.  Are their PHP equivalents for Test:Unit, autotest,
capistrano...? basically I just need some buzzwords for this meeting
before
we make them drink the rails Kool Aide.

Thanks
8ec2e02b0a9fac6331e94fa0fcbee305?d=identicon&s=25 Mitch Pirtle (Guest)
On Aug 2, 2007, at 12:19 , blinking bear wrote:

> I have to put together a quick proposal for a site that, for now,
> is set to be PHP.  Hopefully we can change that, but I could use
> some help with PHP best practices.  Are their PHP equivalents for
> Test:Unit, autotest, capistrano...? basically I just need some
> buzzwords for this meeting before we make them drink the rails Kool
> Aide.

PHP has PHPUnit and Phing - and as noted on other threads the Symfony
framework has some rails flavor to it as well.

The difference from my experience as a PHP->Rails convert, is that
you can do a lot of the same things in PHP but you have to take a
build-it-yourself attitude; whereas Rails, RSpec and Capistrano give
you so much more right out of the box.

Here's a funny story for you guys - I'm working on a huge PHP project
right now, and I'm using Rails on my macbook (on the sly, of course)
to manage changes to the datamodel with migrations. I hope none of
those guys read this list.

* mitch holds a pinkie up to the corner of his mouth
A8444cdb09dcbad549f5aa98449bf7d4?d=identicon&s=25 Eno (Guest)
On Aug 2, 1:11 pm, Mitch Pirtle <mi...@spacemonkeylabs.com> wrote:

> PHP has PHPUnit and Phing - and as noted on other threads the Symfony
> framework has some rails flavor to it as well.

Symfony is very Rails-ish but (like you) I wish it had migrations...

Its also had its own testing framework (Lime) for some time.

There is some built-in support for deployment and syncing to
production servers.

But Im now looking at using Capistrano to deploy our PHP apps ;-)

> Here's a funny story for you guys - I'm working on a huge PHP project
> right now, and I'm using Rails on my macbook (on the sly, of course)
> to manage changes to the datamodel with migrations. I hope none of
> those guys read this list.

Damn, wish I had done that from day one!

--
83ca41657a99b65d99889abe712ba5e2?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Roelofs (Guest)
Capistrano is definitely not a Rails-only solution. You definitely

Rake is the same way.

Migrations rock, and you can set Rails to output as schema.sql so
no-one's
the wiser :P.

Otherwise, good luck. Hope you can at least use Ruby tools if not all of
Rails.

Jason
181976602397443ce119909b9d82cae2?d=identicon&s=25 blinking bear (Guest)
Thanks for the feedback... we got the project.  Now...wanna build it?
Ae2698849df9b326d332d2fda56f0abb?d=identicon&s=25 nigel.bris (Guest)
Just for interest sake. There is PHP on Trax, it is syntacticly
equivalent to RoR but using php code..  http://www.phpontrax.com

I don't know how active its dev is?