Forum: Ruby Sybase and ruby

E21ed29cb289a6874d1bc0bb49ccdd86?d=identicon&s=25 Vaibhav Ranadive (vabb_z)
I am trying to configure Sybase and ruby in LINUX but not able to do
that. Is it necessary to install Sybase Client on PC ?
15a5043475dac9278ae75efb4c71f1f6?d=identicon&s=25 Felix Windt (Guest)
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/35/database.yml
>
> --

You can use ODBC.

Install FreeTDS (Sybase is not only TDS based, they invented it) and
unixODBC, and configure your data source via TDS in /etc/odbc.ini. Then
you
can use DBI with DBD/ODBC to access the database. Depending on your
distro,
freeTDS and unixODBC should be available via your package management
system,
DBI and DBD/ODBC probably are, too, though you may prefer to install
them
via gems.

HTH,

Felix
E21ed29cb289a6874d1bc0bb49ccdd86?d=identicon&s=25 Vaibhav Ranadive (vabb_z)
on 2007-08-02 14:27
Felix Windt wrote:
>> Attachments:
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/35/database.yml
>>
>> --
>>

> You can use ODBC.
>
> Install FreeTDS (Sybase is not only TDS based, they invented it) and
> unixODBC, and configure your data source via TDS in /etc/odbc.ini. Then
> you
> can use DBI with DBD/ODBC to access the database. Depending on your
> distro,
> freeTDS and unixODBC should be available via your package management
> system,
> DBI and DBD/ODBC probably are, too, though you may prefer to install
> them
> via gems.
>
> HTH,
>
> Felix

Thanks for replying but I want to configure with SUSE linux 10 and ODBC
will work for Windows
15a5043475dac9278ae75efb4c71f1f6?d=identicon&s=25 Felix Windt (Guest)

> Depending
> Thanks for replying but I want to configure with SUSE linux
> 10 and ODBC
> will work for Windows
> --

There are ODBC implementations for many platforms, including Linux. I'm
using Ruby against MS-SQL databases (also TDS based, the first MS-SQL
was
built on Sybase) from RHEL servers and Ubuntu desktop machines via the
mechanisms I described.

I did a quick search and it appears SLED10 comes with unixODBC packages
via
yast, though there do not appear to be any FreeTDS packages. Unless you
can
find third party for that, you may have to compile it, which is fairly
easy
to do.

Felix
E21ed29cb289a6874d1bc0bb49ccdd86?d=identicon&s=25 Vaibhav Ranadive (vabb_z)
on 2007-08-03 12:43
Felix Windt wrote:

>> Depending
>> Thanks for replying but I want to configure with SUSE linux
>> 10 and ODBC
>> will work for Windows
>> --
>>

> There are ODBC implementations for many platforms, including Linux. I'm
> using Ruby against MS-SQL databases (also TDS based, the first MS-SQL
> was
> built on Sybase) from RHEL servers and Ubuntu desktop machines via the
> mechanisms I described.
>
> I did a quick search and it appears SLED10 comes with unixODBC packages
> via
> yast, though there do not appear to be any FreeTDS packages. Unless you
> can
> find third party for that, you may have to compile it, which is fairly
> easy
> to do.
>
> Felix

Thanks a Lot Felix ...

I am using NetBeans. Now I want to access Sybase databse moreover is it
necessary to configure anything else for Netbeans.