Forum: Typo Fwd: Re: Community Activity

8ec2e02b0a9fac6331e94fa0fcbee305?d=identicon&s=25 Mitch Pirtle (Guest)
Whups, dang webmail!

----- Forwarded message from mitch@spacemonkeylabs.com -----
     Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:28:14 -0400
     From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch@spacemonkeylabs.com>
  Subject: Re: [typo] Community Activity
       To: Matthew Hinton <mhinton@gmail.com>

Quoting Matthew Hinton <mhinton@gmail.com>, who spaketh thusly:

> Hi, I am considering using Typo for a blog.  What is the state of Typo and
> its community?  Is Typo being actively developed?  I can't find any Typo
> themes that have been released since the Typo theme contest.  I am not happy
> with WordPress and if I switch blogging tools I don't want to move to a
> dying project.

Typo's definitely not dead, but maybe the better item to consider is
your requirements. What is it that WordPress does/lacks that turns you
of? What are you looking for out of a shiny new blog platform?

-- Mitch

----- End forwarded message -----
289399fbee544494fa22c697194139fa?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Hinton (mhinton)
On 8/1/07, Mitch Pirtle <mitch@spacemonkeylabs.com> wrote:

> Typo's definitely not dead, but maybe the better item to consider is
> your requirements. What is it that WordPress does/lacks that turns you
> of? What are you looking for out of a shiny new blog platform?
>
> -- Mitch

I am really getting into Ruby on Rails on development and I would like
run a web application based on that platform.  WordPress really hasn't
been
improved much and I don't like the web interface.  I have been running a
personal blog on WordPress that I am thinking of dropping and restarting
on
Typo or perhaps migrating to Typo.
8ec2e02b0a9fac6331e94fa0fcbee305?d=identicon&s=25 Mitch Pirtle (Guest)
Quoting Matthew Hinton <mhinton@gmail.com>, who spaketh thusly:

> I am really getting into Ruby on Rails on development and I would like to
> run a web application based on that platform.  WordPress really hasn't been
> improved much and I don't like the web interface.  I have been running a
> personal blog on WordPress that I am thinking of dropping and restarting on
> Typo or perhaps migrating to Typo.

I went from WordPress to Typo and loved it. I like the interface, and
being able to write my own plugins (not enough time to get serious
about it yet) is a great thing. The one gotcha for me was avoiding
Sqlite3, as it doesn't like ALTER operations it seems. I recreated the
blog using PostgreSQL and now everything runs just perfect.

You can also look at the other major contenders in the rails/blog
category:

* Mephisto (http://mephistoblog.com/)
* RadiantCMS (http://radiantcms.org/)

To me, Mephisto is basically Typo without the beautiful admin
interface. Radiant is more of a CMS, but is still emerging from the
embryo.

After checking out all three, I opted for Typo for the blog, still
undecided on the corporate website. I wonder if it would be easier to
just use Typo for it all, with some minor modifications.

-- Mitch
289399fbee544494fa22c697194139fa?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Hinton (mhinton)
On 8/1/07, Mitch Pirtle <mitch@spacemonkeylabs.com> wrote:

> I went from WordPress to Typo and loved it. I like the interface, and
> being able to write my own plugins (not enough time to get serious
> about it yet) is a great thing.

I am really leaning towards Typo if I can find a nice theme for it.  I
have
no graphical design skills whatsoever so I need to find a theme.  While
new
WordPress themes are readily available I am not finding any Typo themes
that
have come out recently.
8ec2e02b0a9fac6331e94fa0fcbee305?d=identicon&s=25 Mitch Pirtle (Guest)
Quoting Matthew Hinton <mhinton@gmail.com>, who spaketh thusly:

> I am really leaning towards Typo if I can find a nice theme for it.  I have
> no graphical design skills whatsoever so I need to find a theme.  While new
> WordPress themes are readily available I am not finding any Typo themes that
> have come out recently.

http://www.templateworld.com/free_templates.html

You say you want to learn Typo, there's no better exercise than
setting up a template ;-)

I'm fond of GreenWeb, and deciding whether I can modify it enough to
look right for me. If I do, I'll make it available somewhere, somehow
(that is, if the author is okay with it).

-- Mitch
289399fbee544494fa22c697194139fa?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Hinton (mhinton)
On 8/1/07, Mitch Pirtle <mitch@spacemonkeylabs.com> wrote:

> http://www.templateworld.com/free_templates.html
>
> You say you want to learn Typo, there's no better exercise than
> setting up a template ;-)

Thanks, that site is a good place to start.