Forum: Ruby Any experience with Bluehost?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
7ad1a455ef7f03cfec6c84600cd1ca65?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Oviyach (joviyach)
on 2007-08-01 03:41
(Received via mailing list)
I am looking for hosting for RoR, but I'd also like to be able to do
some PHP with MySQL on the same account as well. I have been looking
at Bluehost. Does anyone have anything comments good or bad about
them?

Thanks,

Jim
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 04:45
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 10:40:00AM +0900, joviyach wrote:
> I am looking for hosting for RoR, but I'd also like to be able to do
> some PHP with MySQL on the same account as well. I have been looking
> at Bluehost. Does anyone have anything comments good or bad about
> them?

I've had nothing but good experiences with Bluehost so far.  I hear
rumors they throttle mail handling, though, so if you're planning to run
a high-traffic mailing list you may want to see if there's anything to
that before signing up.

. . . and if you decide to go with a different webhost, make sure you
check to see if it allows SFTP access before paying any money.  You
don't
want to get stuck with a webhost that doesn't provide encrypted file
transfer capability.
D046d3c8b40b45f19044671cf6cf40f9?d=identicon&s=25 Brett Simmers (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 06:31
(Received via mailing list)
joviyach wrote:
> I am looking for hosting for RoR, but I'd also like to be able to do
> some PHP with MySQL on the same account as well. I have been looking
> at Bluehost. Does anyone have anything comments good or bad about
> them?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
>
I had Bluehost for a while and they aren't great for Rails sites.  They
were fine for my low traffic personal site, but I was also in charge of
a fairly high-traffic Rails site that didn't do so well.  There would be
random fcgi failures, and their CPU time limits are pretty restrictive.
We switched the site to Mongrel on hostingrails.com and it's been much
better.  I don't think there's anything Bluehost had that hostingrails
doesn't, and hostingrails also has subversion support.  Hostingrails is
a little more expensive but I think it's worth it for serious Rails
development.  (Yes, it has PHP and MySQL, too)

-Brett
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
on 2007-08-01 06:57
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:30:43PM +0900, Brett Simmers wrote:
> I had Bluehost for a while and they aren't great for Rails sites.  They
> were fine for my low traffic personal site, but I was also in charge of
> a fairly high-traffic Rails site that didn't do so well.  There would be
> random fcgi failures, and their CPU time limits are pretty restrictive.
> We switched the site to Mongrel on hostingrails.com and it's been much
> better.  I don't think there's anything Bluehost had that hostingrails
> doesn't, and hostingrails also has subversion support.  Hostingrails is
> a little more expensive but I think it's worth it for serious Rails
> development.  (Yes, it has PHP and MySQL, too)

Hmm -- hostingrails.com looks pretty good.  I'm going to have to check
it
out in a bit more depth.
7ad1a455ef7f03cfec6c84600cd1ca65?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Oviyach (joviyach)
on 2007-08-02 03:00
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 31, 11:30 pm, Brett Simmers <bsimm...@cmu.edu> wrote:
> I had Bluehost for a while and they aren't great for Rails sites.  They
> were fine for my low traffic personal site, but I was also in charge of
> a fairly high-traffic Rails site that didn't do so well.  There would be
> random fcgi failures, and their CPU time limits are pretty restrictive.
> We switched the site to Mongrel on hostingrails.com and it's been much
> better.  I don't think there's anything Bluehost had that hostingrails
> doesn't, and hostingrails also has subversion support.  Hostingrails is
> a little more expensive but I think it's worth it for serious Rails
> development.  (Yes, it has PHP and MySQL, too)
>
> -Brett

Thanks! I will definitely check that out. I am just getting started
with Ruby, but I am looking for scalability. I have been coding in PHP
for a few years now, and it definitely pays to choose the right
hosting the first time around, I have been burned in the past by not
doing my research on this.
B9b5ff40232c1dfd61238c2a90467f84?d=identicon&s=25 Wayne E. Seguin (Guest)
on 2007-08-02 03:08
(Received via mailing list)
On Aug 01, 2007, at 21:00 , joviyach wrote:
> Thanks! I will definitely check that out. I am just getting started
> with Ruby, but I am looking for scalability. I have been coding in PHP
> for a few years now, and it definitely pays to choose the right
> hosting the first time around, I have been burned in the past by not
> doing my research on this.


Well if it is just for research, how about: http://
railsplayground.com/ At $5/month...
73c04e9ef9ca435c5b19a2e765ae6d20?d=identicon&s=25 Max Williams (max-williams)
on 2007-09-22 13:11
I'm disappointed with bluehost because
a) they don't support subversion (don't know why!).
b) they don't allow ffmpeg or mencoder to be used, because of the cpu
hit.  This means my site, which allows video uploading and conversion,
is badly broken on bluehost.

I did my RoR app for my degree project, and it all works apart from
video upload, so i'm leaving it up there until my tutor's finished
looking at it.  But after that i'm going to swap to somewhere that
allows subversion and ffmpeg.  Any recommendations for these things?
B9b5ff40232c1dfd61238c2a90467f84?d=identicon&s=25 Wayne E. Seguin (Guest)
on 2007-09-22 13:41
(Received via mailing list)
On Sep 22, 2007, at 07:11 , Max Williams wrote:
> I'm disappointed with bluehost because
> a) they don't support subversion (don't know why!).
> b) they don't allow ffmpeg or mencoder to be used, because of the cpu
> hit.  This means my site, which allows video uploading and conversion,
> is badly broken on bluehost.
>
> I did my RoR app for my degree project, and it all works apart from
> video upload, so i'm leaving it up there until my tutor's finished
> looking at it.  But after that i'm going to swap to somewhere that
> allows subversion and ffmpeg.  Any recommendations for these things?

I highly recommend a dedicated server at http://blueboxgrid.com/,
their service has been amazing.

   ~Wayne

s///g
Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator
73c04e9ef9ca435c5b19a2e765ae6d20?d=identicon&s=25 Max Williams (max-williams)
on 2007-09-22 14:14
Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 07:11 , Max Williams wrote:
>> I'm disappointed with bluehost because
>> a) they don't support subversion (don't know why!).
>> b) they don't allow ffmpeg or mencoder to be used, because of the cpu
>> hit.  This means my site, which allows video uploading and conversion,
>> is badly broken on bluehost.
>>
>> I did my RoR app for my degree project, and it all works apart from
>> video upload, so i'm leaving it up there until my tutor's finished
>> looking at it.  But after that i'm going to swap to somewhere that
>> allows subversion and ffmpeg.  Any recommendations for these things?
>
> I highly recommend a dedicated server at http://blueboxgrid.com/,
> their service has been amazing.
>
>    ~Wayne
>
> s///g
> Wayne E. Seguin
> Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator

Thanks for the recommendation Wayne, but i'm a poor student and can't
afford $250 a month.  :(

Does anyone know any cheap servers that will allow subversion and most
importantly ffmpeg?
B9b5ff40232c1dfd61238c2a90467f84?d=identicon&s=25 Wayne E. Seguin (Guest)
on 2007-09-23 03:32
(Received via mailing list)
On Sep 22, 2007, at 08:14 , Max Williams wrote:
> Does anyone know any cheap servers that will allow subversion and most
> importantly ffmpeg?

Amazon EC2 & build your own?

   ~Wayne

s///g
Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator
73c04e9ef9ca435c5b19a2e765ae6d20?d=identicon&s=25 Max Williams (max-williams)
on 2007-09-23 11:58
Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 08:14 , Max Williams wrote:
>> Does anyone know any cheap servers that will allow subversion and most
>> importantly ffmpeg?
>
> Amazon EC2 & build your own?
>
>    ~Wayne
>
> s///g
> Wayne E. Seguin
> Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator

hmm, looks interesting.  My app is in the amateur rather than pro league
- it's for a degree project, though i'm going to carry on with it
afterwards.  Would you say that EC2 is suitable for a student project?
I had a look at their pricing structure but didn't go as far as working
out what my actual costs would work out as.
B9b5ff40232c1dfd61238c2a90467f84?d=identicon&s=25 Wayne E. Seguin (Guest)
on 2007-09-23 15:27
(Received via mailing list)
On Sep 23, 2007, at 05:58 , Max Williams wrote:
> hmm, looks interesting.  My app is in the amateur rather than pro
> league
> - it's for a degree project, though i'm going to carry on with it
> afterwards.  Would you say that EC2 is suitable for a student project?
> I had a look at their pricing structure but didn't go as far as
> working
> out what my actual costs would work out as.

Sorry, I have not used EC2 personally so I cannot answer this one.
That said, I don't see why it wouldn't be?

   ~Wayne

s///g
Wayne E. Seguin
Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator
73c04e9ef9ca435c5b19a2e765ae6d20?d=identicon&s=25 Max Williams (max-williams)
on 2007-09-23 15:37
Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2007, at 05:58 , Max Williams wrote:
>> hmm, looks interesting.  My app is in the amateur rather than pro
>> league
>> - it's for a degree project, though i'm going to carry on with it
>> afterwards.  Would you say that EC2 is suitable for a student project?
>> I had a look at their pricing structure but didn't go as far as
>> working
>> out what my actual costs would work out as.
>
> Sorry, I have not used EC2 personally so I cannot answer this one.
> That said, I don't see why it wouldn't be?
>
>    ~Wayne
>
> s///g
> Wayne E. Seguin
> Sr. Systems Architect & Systems Administrator

I guess what i meant was "would it be suitable for a student, who can't
afford to pay much" :).  Has anyone else used this?  What are your
typical charges?
Ad7805c9fcc1f13efc6ed11251a6c4d2?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Young (regularfry)
on 2007-09-23 16:12
(Received via mailing list)
Wayne E. Seguin wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2007, at 08:14 , Max Williams wrote:
>> Does anyone know any cheap servers that will allow subversion and most
>> importantly ffmpeg?
>
> Amazon EC2 & build your own?
>
If EC2's an option, then any old virtual machine would probably do the
trick - depending on how heavily you're going to hit the CPU, of course.
  I'd suggest getting a VM for a month from (someone like)
http://www.bytemark.co.uk and see how you get on.
Ba8a6ef0c4e40eafe542723dab94cd97?d=identicon&s=25 Arlen Christian Mart Cuss (Guest)
on 2007-09-26 18:16
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 20:11 +0900, Max Williams wrote:
> I'm disappointed with bluehost because
> a) they don't support subversion (don't know why!).
> b) they don't allow ffmpeg or mencoder to be used, because of the cpu
> hit.  This means my site, which allows video uploading and conversion,
> is badly broken on bluehost.
>
> I did my RoR app for my degree project, and it all works apart from
> video upload, so i'm leaving it up there until my tutor's finished
> looking at it.  But after that i'm going to swap to somewhere that
> allows subversion and ffmpeg.  Any recommendations for these things?

Have a look at Dreamhost. They're alright, I use them.

Arlen
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.