Forum: Rails deployment best practice with nginx and php; apache or php-fcgi

A431053dae04eea9a11956a2d1d4d047?d=identicon&s=25 Greg (Guest)
On my server 90% of the apps are rails with a few remaining php apps.
What is the best method to handle php with nginx?  Is it better to use
php-fcgi or reverse proxy to apache?
On Jul 31, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Greg wrote:

> On my server 90% of the apps are rails with a few remaining php apps.
> What is the best method to handle php with nginx?  Is it better to use
> php-fcgi or reverse proxy to apache?

  IMHO just use php-fcgi. It works very well with nginx, you just need
to hack up a script to start the php-fcgi's  or steal spawn-fcgi from
lighttpd and use that. No need to bring out apache if you just need
some php sprinkled into your nginx setup.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Founder & Ruby Hacker
-- ez@engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
A431053dae04eea9a11956a2d1d4d047?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Newman (Guest)
Ok.  Thanks Ezra!  My new dedicated came with apache 2.2, so I'll
disactivate that.  I'm assuming, and I'll have to double check, that
I'll
have to recompile php for it?