Forum: Ruby on Rails InstantRails and NetBeans

Anybody got any experience using NetBeans with Instant Rails?  I'm
getting an error on migrations saying it can't find RubyGem soap4r.
It's installed, of course.  Any experience / thoughts?

TIA,
Bill
413faf211358af7cae68c1f2137de0f8?d=identicon&s=25 Mel Riffe (Guest)
I don't have direct experience with NetBeans AND InstantRails together.
However I can tell you from my experience using NetBeans that it
installs
jRuby and uses the gems from that installation, not your already
existing
Ruby installation.  At least for me on my Mac I'm not able to tell
NetBeans
to use my already existing gems installation due to permissions; I'm
sure
I'm not doing something correct.

Don't know if that will help you or not.

Cheers,
Mel
F203a4bd4b2d962a54f66d85bc537663?d=identicon&s=25 James Moore (Guest)
On 7/31/07, Mel Riffe <mriffe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have direct experience with NetBeans AND InstantRails together.
> However I can tell you from my experience using NetBeans that it installs
> jRuby and uses the gems from that installation, not your already existing
> Ruby installation.

Just tell NetBeans which Ruby to use via Tools > Options > Misc >
Ruby.  NetBeans does have a mechanism to attempt to detect which Ruby
you use, but I've had it installed for a while and don't know when/how
it gets invoked.

NetBeans works just fine with InstantRails.  It's been by normal dev
environment for several weeks now.

You definitely want the daily builds - NetBeans lives on internet time.

http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/

You want the current version that looks like:

# netbeans-rubyide-hudson-3159.zip [fingerprint]

 - James Moore
99948ad7550a67b81559ce674807b7ed?d=identicon&s=25 Butch Anton (butchanton)
on 2007-08-01 20:12
James Moore wrote:
> You definitely want the daily builds - NetBeans lives on internet time.
>
> http://deadlock.netbeans.org/hudson/job/ruby/
>  - James Moore

How do we submit feedback for these builds?  I've noticed that they work
better than the nightly full NetBeans builds in some ways, but are
missing basic functionality in others.

Thanks!

Butch Anton
6815ff92d29338926480464468e8288c?d=identicon&s=25 Craig McClanahan (Guest)
On 7/31/07, James Moore <jamesthepiper@gmail.com> wrote:
> it gets invoked.

In relatively recent builds (NetBeans 6.0 Milestone 10 and later), the
IDE asks you which Ruby implementation you want to use, the first time
you start creating a Ruby or Rails project.  After that, the menu
option you cite above is the right way to change things.

Craig McClanahan
6815ff92d29338926480464468e8288c?d=identicon&s=25 Craig McClanahan (Guest)

There's a couple of avenues for giving feedback on these builds:

* If you want to file a bug report or RFE in the issue tracking system,
  start at <http://www.netbeans.org/community/issues.html>.  File
  issues under component "Ruby".

  gets immediate attention from the developers.  To subscribe, see
  the information at "http://ruby.netbeans.org".

* For more general NetBeans questions (not Ruby or Rails specific),
  the best place is the general NetBeans user mailing list.  To
subscribe,
  see the information at "http://www.netbeans.org/community/".

Craig McClanahan
On 8/6/07, Craig McClanahan <craigmcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> * If you want to file a bug report or RFE in the issue tracking system,
>   start at <http://www.netbeans.org/community/issues.html>.  File
>   issues under component "Ruby".

I've got this bookmarked:

http://scripting.netbeans.org/issues/enter_bug.cgi...

One of the things the NetBeans team does well is reacting to bug
reports.  If you report a problem, it gets dealt with.  I find myself
submitting problem reports more often to NetBeans than other projects
I've used lately (aside from paid professional work) simply because
there's a fast positive feedback mechanism - really makes you feel
like you're contributing, even if you're not writing code.

 - James