Forum: Ruby gem installation without documentation

316017672dfe1c4e8e22843348ee32d4?d=identicon&s=25 Sy Ali (Guest)
I've got Ruby running on my palmtop, and I don't want to waste the
extra space with ri or RDoc documentation for certain gems.  I did
some hunting and couldn't find a simple answer for my questions so I
thought I'd ask here.

How can I do a "gem install" and _not_ generate that documentation?
How would i "uninstall" certain already-installed documentation?
(just find and delete it?)
Bc298d7a9345ed1f83b39afe288f5e9e?d=identicon&s=25 rob (Guest)
On Jul 31, 6:54 am, "Sy Ali" <sy1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got Ruby running on my palmtop, and I don't want to waste the
> extra space with ri or RDoc documentation for certain gems.  I did
> some hunting and couldn't find a simple answer for my questions so I
> thought I'd ask here.
>
> How can I do a "gem install" and _not_ generate that documentation?
> How would i "uninstall" certain already-installed documentation?
> (just find and delete it?)

I believe you can pass --no-rdoc and --no-ri to the gem command.
88de1beaaacae26b839f2e6aebf857b6?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Wieczorek (Guest)
2007/7/31, Sy Ali <sy1234@gmail.com>:

> How can I do a "gem install" and _not_ generate that documentation?
> How would i "uninstall" certain already-installed documentation?
> (just find and delete it?)

Try "gem help install". It will list you all options including
--no-rdoc and --no-ri as Rob mentioned them
On 7/31/07, Thomas Wieczorek <wieczo.yo@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Try "gem help install". It will list you all options including
> --no-rdoc and --no-ri as Rob mentioned them

Aha.  I worked through some of the help system but misunderstood how
to use it.  I see what you're talking about now, thanks.

So I guess I can uninstall the gems and then reinstall them without
the documentation, and that should clean things up nicely.