Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 rvm - gstreamer gem install error

7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)
on 2011-03-02 22:40
hello all,
  i'm having a problem installing the gstreamer gem under rvm - both
with 1.8.7 and 1.9.2.
  i've got all dependencies installed (i believe, gtk2 and libxml2) but
i get this error running "gem install gstreamer" :

ERROR:  Error installing gstreamer:

  a look at "gstreamer/gem_make.out" shows me this:

/home/.../.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p180/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for GCC... yes
checking for rb_define_alloc_func() in ruby.h... yes
checking for rb_block_proc() in ruby.h... yes
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... no
checking for Win32 OS... no
checking for gstreamer-0.10... yes
checking for gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10... no

  is the problem that the plugins-base-0.10 is missing?  i somehow doubt
that, i imagine that the plugins come bundled in the gem?  i've googled
this problem, and looked here on the forum - and i find similar problems
with other gems that offer specific (too specific) solutions for each
failing gem.  any ideas about gstreamer?

  thanks in advance -

 jk
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/3/2 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:

> is the problem that the plugins-base-0.10 is missing? i somehow doubt

Hi.

You should install gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 (nothing to do with
ruby). If you are using a debain-like distro install
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base package.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

--
Vincent Carmona
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
> Hi.
>
> You should install gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 (nothing to do with
> ruby). If you are using a debain-like distro install
> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base package.
You may need also the developpement package :
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev .

--
Vincent Carmona
7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)
Vincent Carmona wrote in post #985070:
>> Hi.
>>
>> You should install gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 (nothing to do with
>> ruby). If you are using a debain-like distro install
>> gstreamer0.10-plugins-base package.
> You may need also the developpement package :
> libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev .
>>
>> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/

hi vincent,
  thanks for getting back to me - sorry, i think i didn't make it clear
that this is an rvm ruby version.  i've got gstreamer nicely installed
on my systemwide ruby 1.8.7...
  what i want to do is install the gstreamer gem for the ruby 1.9.2 that
i've got through rvm, so i can safely play around without hosing
everything like i did last time i tried to update everything!  rvm seems
like a decent option, but it seems pretty finicky - i've got 1.9.2
installed with the gnome2 0.90.7 gem, and i'm anxious to try it out with
gstreamer, but so far no luck.  pretty sure this is an rvm problem, and
not a gstreamer problem - maybe this isn't the best place for this post,
but this seems to be the place where all the gstreamer talk goes on...
  are you familiar with rvm?  do you know if there's any way to install
non-gem libraries into rvm, so i could just install gstreamer like i've
got it systemwide?  or a fix to this rvm gem install problem?

  thanks again -

2011/3/3 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:

> not a gstreamer problem - maybe this isn't the best place for this post,
> but this seems to be the place where all the gstreamer talk goes on...
> are you familiar with rvm? do you know if there's any way to install
> non-gem libraries into rvm, so i could just install gstreamer like i've
> got it systemwide? or a fix to this rvm gem install problem?
>
> thanks again -
>
> jk

I am not familiar with rvm since I am using ruby (1.8 and 1.9)
packages published by my distro.

2011/3/2 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:

> /home/.../.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p180/bin/ruby extconf.rb
> checking for GCC... yes
> checking for rb_define_alloc_func() in ruby.h... yes
> checking for rb_block_proc() in ruby.h... yes
> checking for new allocation framework... yes
> checking for attribute assignment... no
> checking for Win32 OS... no
> checking for gstreamer-0.10... yes
> checking for gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10... no

>From this error message I guess you are missing
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10 or at least the developpement files of
gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10. I am not sure if these files are
manditories but try to install them! Otherwise can you copy the full
error message.

(It seems to me that rvm try to compile the extension and failed when
needed files presence is checked. I do not see the Makefile creation
in the log)

When I run extconf.rb (from sources not gem) here is what I get:
$ ruby extconf.rb
Failed to open '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gst-python-0.10.pc': No such file
or directory
checking for GCC... yes
checking for rb_define_alloc_func() in ruby.h... yes
checking for rb_block_proc() in ruby.h... yes
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... yes
checking for Win32 OS... no
checking for gstreamer-0.10... yes
checking for gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for io.h... no
checking for main() in -lgstinterfaces-0.10... yes
checking for gst/interfaces/xoverlay.h... yes
checking for gstreamer-pbutils-0.10... yes
creating ruby-gstreamer.pc
creating Makefile
creating Makefile

--
Vincent Carmona
7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)

  thanks for getting back.  i'm not that crazy about gems myself, though
they are easier to install and maintain, they've given me a lot of
headaches recently.
  i wanted to ask about running 1.8x and 1.9x together systemwide
(without rvm.)  from your last post it sounds like that's what you do...
is this no problem?  can i just install the 1.9 that comes with my
distro (ubuntu 10.4) along with the 1.8 that i've got installed already
and let them live happily side by side?  how do you switch between the
two?
  that would certainly be easier - and would mean i don't have to
reinstall gstreamer...

  jk
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/3/3 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> hi vincent -
>
> thanks for getting back. i'm not that crazy about gems myself, though
> they are easier to install and maintain, they've given me a lot of
> headaches recently.

I am  pretty sure that installing libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
will deal with this particular problems.

> i wanted to ask about running 1.8x and 1.9x together systemwide
> (without rvm.) from your last post it sounds like that's what you do...
> is this no problem? can i just install the 1.9 that comes with my
> distro (ubuntu 10.4) along with the 1.8 that i've got installed already
> and let them live happily side by side? how do you switch between the
> two?

Just install ruby or ruby1.8 and ruby1.9.1 packages. You can then test
$ ruby my-app.rb
$ ruby1.8 my-app.rb
$ ruby1.9.1 my-app.rb

/usr/bin/ruby is a link to ruby1.8. If you want to use ruby 1.9 by
default (by calling "ruby") I would advice to create a link in
/usr/local/bin as ruby does not seems to be handlde by
update-alternative. Then you just need to delete that link
(/usr/local/bin/ruby -> /usr/bin/ruby1.9.1) to switch back to ruby 1.8
by default.

> that would certainly be easier - and would mean i don't have to
> reinstall gstreamer...

I afraid you do. You will have to install gstreamer binding for ruby
1.8 and ruby 1.9.

I guess rvm comes in handy but I do not use it nor gems.

--
Vincent Carmona
7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)

> ... You will have to install gstreamer binding for ruby
> 1.8 and ruby 1.9.

  my package manager shows no gst bindings for 1.9.1, nor have i found
any source files googling.  is there a specific set of bindings for
1.9.1? - or can i just install the default bindings from here, for
example, http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libgstreamer0.10-ruby

  thanks again, you've been a big help

2011/3/4 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> hi vincent -
> thanks for all the tips. i've got ruby 1.9.1 installed systemwide
> alongside 1.8.7, both through the package manager. i found that
> update-alternatives does work nicely for switching between them -
> http://michalf.me/blog:make-ruby-1-9-default-on-ub...
> the advice given here is for ubuntu 9.10 karmic, but works just fine
> on 10.4 lucid as well.

Thanks for the link.

> anyway, you mentioned that
>
>> ... You will have to install gstreamer binding for ruby
>> 1.8 and ruby 1.9.
>>
> my package manager shows no gst bindings for 1.9.1, nor have i found
> any source files googling. is there a specific set of bindings for
> 1.9.1? - or can i just install the default bindings from here, for
> example, http://packages.debian.org/lenny/libgstreamer0.10-ruby

I am not sure that you can find a debian package of gstreamer bindings
for ruby 1.9.
I do not know if gems can be used in that case. I am guessing they can.
But you can always install  from the sources.

> This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
> its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
> solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d

Vincent Carmona
7f28f9db46bfe8e9b8b5fcd90b2f1302?d=identicon&s=25 J. K. (j_k)
on 2011-03-04 16:52
hi vincent -

  sorry to keep bugging you with this, but i'm having trouble finding
sources for the ruby gstreamer bindings.

  the gstreamer page http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/bindings/ sends me
to the gnome2 page
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/?News_20110304_1...

  should i install the ruby-gnome2-all-0.90.8.tar.gz in order to get the
gstreamer, or is there somewhere to get just the gstreamer library?

  thanks again -

  jk
C4a836af7263f84a4f7cc91ed6f3ae77?d=identicon&s=25 Vincent Carmona (vinc-mai)
2011/3/4 J. K. <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>:
> gstreamer, or is there somewhere to get just the gstreamer library?
You can install the module you used (gtk2 and gstreamer I guess) from
ruby-gnome2-all-0.90.8.tar.gz.
> This paper provides an overview of data connectivity, details
> its effect on application quality, and explores various alternative
> solutions. http://p.sf.net/sfu/progress-d2d

Vincent Carmona
Existing account

No account? Register here.