Forum: Ruby How to update Ruby

C5b20b09d5d24bd554f703ff0595696b?d=identicon&s=25 Al Cholic (desertfox)
on 2007-07-30 22:59
Hello,

Im on a mac and trying to update ruby.  I update rails with the command:

sudo gem update rails --include-dependencies

and wondering if there is some sort of similar command for ruby.

Also, if I update ruby will it mess up my gems?  Will I have to
reinstall them?

Thanks in advance.
4d5b5dd4e263d780a5dfe7ac8b8ac98c?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Pease (Guest)
On 7/30/07, Al Cholic <desertfox@hot.ee> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im on a mac and trying to update ruby.  I update rails with the command:
>
> sudo gem update rails --include-dependencies
>

> and wondering if there is some sort of similar command for ruby.

Great idea, but alas, no.

> Also, if I update ruby will it mess up my gems?  Will I have to
> reinstall them?

You should not have to reinstall your gems. However, if you get funny
errors, then that would be the first thing to do (especially with gems
that have native extensions).

As for the other part of your question, you really want to do a Google
search. It will give you a native installer as the first link
returned:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=upgrade+ruby+...

If that's not your style, then try the DarwinPorts or Fink package
managers.

You can always download the source code and install your own Ruby.
Here is a great set of instructions tailored for Tiger:
http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby_rails...

Blessings,
TwP
C5b20b09d5d24bd554f703ff0595696b?d=identicon&s=25 Al Cholic (desertfox)
on 2007-07-31 05:41
>> sudo gem update rails --include-dependencies

> You can always download the source code and install your own Ruby.
> Here is a great set of instructions tailored for Tiger:
> http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby_rails...
>
> Blessings,
> TwP

Thanks.  I installed from source and everything worked out well.