Forum: Ruby Terminal Session Raw Mode

425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
Hey all

I'm using GServer to run a little ruby app (ie a MUD, from scratch,
no less!), and I am using IO.getc(), like in JEG2's #45 MUD example.
However, as this is being run as a server, I don't have control over
a client's computer. So how can I set that terminal session to raw
mode? Is it even possible?

Thanks,
-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit
6fd6b70de063fe1b93eefdc82bbc204d?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Skidmore (alkiera)
on 2007-11-01 15:50
Ari,

I've done something similar, so far just constructed a simple
chatserver.  I use IO#gets(); but the thing that helped me with client
stuff is an answer to one of the rubyquiz quizes, specifically this one:
http://www.rubyquiz.com/quiz32.html

The handle_telnet function there fixed all the issues I had.  I
previously was using PuTTY to connect, and specifying a raw connection.
Trying to use the telnet mode, or Windows Telnet, had wacky echo and
linefeed issues.  I added that function to my GServer child, and wrapped
my call to io.gets() in it, and now both PuTTY Telnet mode and windows
telnet connect and act perfectly.  It's beautiful.

Thank you, Mr. Gray!

Dave