Forum: Rails deployment Mongrel installed, but "command not found"

827750524d7a5cb7fca68b1bf133cb4d?d=identicon&s=25 Pawel Stawicki (amorfis)

I just installed mongrel on my server, but can't use it. I am using
debian server. I installed mongrel by "gem install mongrel", and
everything worked fine, I've seen "Successfully installed
mongrel-1.0.1". But when I issue command "mongrel_rails", there is
"command not found" message. Also when I issue "gem contents mongrel", I
can see "Unable to find gem 'mongrel' in default gem paths". When I do
"gem list", I can see mongrel there.

What is going on? What am I doing wrong?

Best regards
Pawel Stawicki
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Jul 29, 2007, at 12:15 PM, Pawel Stawicki wrote:

> "gem list", I can see mongrel there.
>
> What is going on? What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like an issue with your path.

Does this work?

/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/mongrel_rails

I've had this problem on Debian servers in the past and the way to
get around it is to modify your PATH to include "/var/lib/gems/1.8/
bin" or create symlinks.

Good luck,
Robby

--
Robby Russell
Founder and Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Design, Development, and Hosting with Ruby on Rails

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
827750524d7a5cb7fca68b1bf133cb4d?d=identicon&s=25 Pawel Stawicki (amorfis)
on 2007-07-30 20:50
> Does this work?
>
> /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin/mongrel_rails
>
> I've had this problem on Debian servers in the past and the way to
> get around it is to modify your PATH to include "/var/lib/gems/1.8/
> bin" or create symlinks.

Yes, looks like it is the issue. On my local comp there is also mongrel
installed, and there is /usr/bin/mongrel_rails. I am sure I didn't make
it myself, so some gem must have done this. Do you know which one could
it be?

I am also worried about this "Unable to find gem 'mongrel' in default
gem paths". It is the same with all the gems, not only mongrel.

Best regards
Pawel Stawicki
827750524d7a5cb7fca68b1bf133cb4d?d=identicon&s=25 Pawel Stawicki (amorfis)
on 2007-07-30 22:18
Ok, solved this. I had gem installed from rubygems debian package.
Uninstalled it, downloaded ruby executable installer from gems page, run
it as root. Gems installed. Then I installed some libs (ruby1.8-dev,
libyaml-ruby, libzlib-ruby and rdoc, as this libraries are needed but
ruby package does not depend on them on debian). Then installed mongrel
and rails by my newly installed gems and everything works fine.

Best regards
Pawel Stawicki