Forum: Rails deployment textdriven worst hosting i ever seen

Fa342466c787830ea65ffc638d22d9c4?d=identicon&s=25 GG9 Rails (gorter9)
on 2007-07-28 08:27
Somebody tolds me that textdriven is a very good hosting company so i
get an account for one year at textdriven
Maybe it was a good hosting company in the past but for now it's a
problem hosting company.
The only goof thing is that you can setup your own DNS.

This time i uploaded a new site and a get no more than an error in my
production.log
MissingSourceFile (no such file to load -- application):
I have the application file in my app controllers and on ocomotive my
site works well.
I tried almost everything to get in on work.
So i made an ticket on the helpdesk that there is something wrong on the
server nut no anser att all
I get many crashes on my site at textdriven and the server was very
slow.

so for a month ago i decided to setup my main site on another hosting in
the netherlands named bluerail.
You can't setup your own DNS but the service is very well, you can even
call to them and the site loads a lot quicker than on textdriven, most
websites i visit are slower now than my own site.

The biggest mistake i ever made is to setup an account for one year at
textdriven
650c0a24a4f9d8db5f67d589e1233978?d=identicon&s=25 Jarkko Laine (Guest)
It's pretty obvious that you get faster response times from a server
in your own country than from one across both the Atlantic _and_ the
USA, just because of the ping times. For me a site on a local VPS gets
ping times around 10ms whereas one in Cal is more or less 200ms. So if
the majority of your readership is local, by all means use local
hosting. Just remember that the situation is reversed for readers in
US.

That said, not getting a reply to a support ticket sucks. I've
fortunately not experienced that bad service from Textdrive. However,
I wouldn't directly blame them for your site not working, there's
quite a lot of people on Textdrive running Rails apps just fine.
However, I wouldn't recommend anyone to run a production site on a
shared host. There's plenty of VPS offerings (including Joyent) around
for not too much money that provide you much better stability and
power.

Cheers,
//jarkko

On 7/28/07, GA Gorter <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> I have the application file in my app controllers and on ocomotive my
> call to them and the site loads a lot quicker than on textdriven, most
> websites i visit are slower now than my own site.
>
> The biggest mistake i ever made is to setup an account for one year at
> textdriven
> --

Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net
http://odesign.fi
760e5c90000057a6860986b69b77c400?d=identicon&s=25 John Griffiths (indiehead)
on 2007-07-31 18:33
i've got a textdrive account and yes i agree they aren't the best for
front-line stuff.

been using www.slicehost.com for my rails hosting, much better.
153107d9ef8352ea7f787d2090d81666?d=identicon&s=25 Marston (Guest)
I keep hearing stories like this about them, too bad :-\.

We use Slicehost.com for all our hosting as well and it is superb.

On Jul 28, 8:27 am, GA Gorter <ruby-forum-incom...@andreas-s.net>
262933984309d87092cd4431c61e4d24?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Bailey (Guest)
I've used TextDrive, for a shared host setup for a long time.  There
have been a few ups and downs, but mostly it's been quite good from my
point of view.  I think part of the issue is often it's not an
apples-to-apples comparison.  TextDrive is shared hosting.  Something
like SliceHost (who I have also used) is a VPS, and a completely bare
bones one at that (e.g. they don't even do DNS).  When you're on
shared hosting, you have the potential to be affected by other
people's actions or applications, etc.

If one is to compare against other VPS solutions, then they should
compare Joyent's Accelerators, which so far, I've heard nothing but
good about.  They also have some low cost versions now as well.

I am currently in the process of finding a VPS solution.  Accelerators
are in the top couple on my list right now.  Slicehost is interesting,
but it's too bare bones for what we want (we'd rather spend more, to
get more things done that we don't want our developers having to spend
their time on - taking their time away from app development).
EngineYard is pretty slick, and has some very nice stuff, but, at
least from the info I gather on their web site, it's a bit too
confining (very Rails specific, requires(?) their deployment recipe,
etc.).  So, I think you just have to evaluate it per your needs.
Granted, if Joyent/TextDrive's support is not standing up, then that's
a flag.  I've had a few cases of this, but nothing that has caused me
to go somewhere else or really complain much.

On 8/1/07, Marston <marston@sugarstats.com> wrote:
> > problem hosting company.
> > I get many crashes on my site at textdriven and the server was very
> > --

Chris Bailey
chris.bailey@gmail.com
C4bd59695df68a428fc2f7a165d59a19?d=identicon&s=25 Will Merydith (wmerydith)
on 2007-09-02 06:27
Chris Bailey wrote:
> I've used TextDrive, for a shared host setup for a long time.  There
> have been a few ups and downs, but mostly it's been quite good from my
> point of view.  I think part of the issue is often it's not an
> apples-to-apples comparison.  TextDrive is shared hosting.

I'm using Textdrive's Dedicated Accelerator (by Joyent) and my
experience so far is that they are really unorganized, their
documentation is often misleading and they rarely reply to a help ticket
with 3 days if you don't start a fire.

I've put in about 35 hours in setting up a simple app and I can't even
get "gem install foo" to work.

It's maddening.
C4bd59695df68a428fc2f7a165d59a19?d=identicon&s=25 Will Merydith (wmerydith)
on 2007-09-02 06:29
Chris Bailey wrote:
> (we'd rather spend more, to
> get more things done that we don't want our developers having to spend
> their time on - taking their time away from app development).

If that is what you are looking for then remove Textdrive from your
list.
6201313bb7427da80b81edd9152f1adc?d=identicon&s=25 mike clymer (Guest)
Slicehost does handle DNS...
http://www.slicehost.com/faq#do-you-host-dns-or-re...

My recommendation is to stay away from shared hosting if possible.
6e9db38e16957cc51cf9cee9de399249?d=identicon&s=25 dasil003 (Guest)
On Sep 1, 10:27 pm, Will Merydith <ruby-forum-incom...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> I'm using Textdrive's Dedicated Accelerator (by Joyent) and my
> experience so far is that they are really unorganized, their
> documentation is often misleading and they rarely reply to a help ticket
> with 3 days if you don't start a fire.

I've been with TextDrive about two years and this has been my
experience as well.  TextDrive is an amazing concept, they are doing
some really cool tech, and if you are big enough they probably will
even give you good service.  However for the little guy (anyone
smaller than twitter), don't expect much.

Just read my contributions at the end of this thread
http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?id=15571.  My TextDrive email
is blocked by Hostopia and the official response is to completely
ignore my tickets (for months) and then say that it's not their
problem.  Jason Hoffman even went so far as to say my tickets "better
be real support issues" as if submitting a ticket is some sort of
personal attack against him.

I tried to love TextDrive, they do cool tech, and say all the right
things.  The trouble is they can't get the fundamentals right.  It
doesn't matter if their servers shit gold bricks if they can't respond
to a support ticket.  Year after year this pattern has repeated
itself, and the management are in complete denial about the problem.
They claim it's because people have unrealistic expectations of them
(that is true for any web host).  However that doesn't fly with me
because I'm not some clueless newbie trolling their forums.  I've been
in the web industry since 1994 and I have worked with dozens of hosts,
including working for a reseller, and managing my own servers.  I have
an extremely well-informed opinion of what is reasonable in the web
hosting department.  I noticed that people over at the TextDrive
forums love to bash Dreamhost, but one thing's for sure, they respond
to support tickets.
A7b8d5ddf540e5f465abd0fb3b7cdfcb?d=identicon&s=25 Jesse Proudman (Guest)
Most Rails hosting companies (including ours) will provide DNS
services and if they don't provide email services outside your VPS,
you should look elsewhere.

Checkout RailsMachine, Blue Box Group (where I work) or Engine Yard
for a really good rails hosting company.

--

Jesse Proudman,  Blue Box Group, LLC
5bdc87afd3a04e41c5958631185568f3?d=identicon&s=25 maykelrr@speedyrails.com (Guest)

sorry for chiming about my own service, but I would invite you all to
try our shared hosting service :), there is no comparison to other
shared hosting services, we offer dedicated resources for every single
mongrel instance (like 60MB of RAM) and we carefully limit the number
of mongrel instances that run on a single server... conclusion, we are
proud to offer a really fast and reliable shared hosting service,
scalable to great fully managed dedicated servers.

Maykel Rodriguez
www.speedyrails.com