Forum: Rails I18n Online translation services, to ease the pain

6e6ad40d40c15fecdd1060573156d65f?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Svalin (Guest)
Hello,

New member. I work at Mynewsdesk, a Swedish company with a Rails web-app
translated into 5 languages.

We're feeling the pain of editing huge YAML-files (~4000 lines each in
config/locales/*yml), so I decided I'd spend some of my lab day today
exploring better translation tools. I thought this group might have some
input.

I'm primarily looking at online translation services, like
https://webtranslateit.com, http://www.smartling.com,
http://99translations.com etc. Any recommendations? How do they
integrate in
a rails project?
We'd especially like to see a well maintained, active project or a
for-pay
service providing a great UI.

I dug around a bit in the archive, but I couldn't find discussion on
this.

- Martin
F52e87b92cafb1e8c6d155076b56ecff?d=identicon&s=25 "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> (Guest)
Hello Martin,

On 2011/03/02 18:13, Martin Svalin wrote:
> I'm primarily looking at online translation services, like
> https://webtranslateit.com, http://www.smartling.com,
> http://99translations.com etc. Any recommendations? How do they integrate in
> a rails project?
> We'd especially like to see a well maintained, active project or a for-pay
> service providing a great UI.
>
> I dug around a bit in the archive, but I couldn't find discussion on this.

The localization industry has quite a few standards. See
http://www.lisa.org/OSCAR-LISA-s-Standa.79.0.html for an overview.

In particular TMX should be of interest. They won't give you an online
translation service directly, but they may be able to help you to just
plug into some.

These standards use XML, which you want to even less edit by hand, but
if you'd write a YAML<->TMX converter, I'm rather sure that would help
others on this list, too.

Regards,    Martin.

9f084dc0c6b13688da50f0223fe56513?d=identicon&s=25 almiaad i. (almiaad_i)
on 2011-09-13 13:25
Now voice over in any language like Arabic, French is no more difficult
in USA/UK. Almiaad Lingua provides Arabic voice over, Arabic translation
services within 24 hours or less. Contact the best translation company
in USA for all type of Translation Service USA solutions.
De198e400987c17e275f1b589acf7676?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Dell (martindell)
on 2011-11-28 10:51
Localisation in Rails normally involves a lot of hand-editing YAML
translation files - which can be a pain if there are either a lot of
strings or many languages.

Locale solves many of the problems associated with localising Ruby on
Rails apps.

It helps Rails developers by providing a GUI to YAML translation files,
and a Ruby gem to automatically upload and download strings for
translation.

http://www.localeapp.com
2930bfe5cff549e49bd77dc7f957e40f?d=identicon&s=25 Dimitris G. (dimitris_g)
on 2011-12-07 02:04
On Mar 2, Martin Svalin <martin.sva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> New member. I work at Mynewsdesk, a Swedish company with a Rails web-app
> translated into 5 languages.
>
> We're feeling the pain of editing huge YAML-files (~4000 lines each in
> config/locales/*yml), so I decided I'd spend some of my lab day today
> exploring better translation tools. I thought this group might have some
> input.

Have you taken a look at Transifex?

  http://www.transifex.net/

It's being used by 2.000 open-source projects, including Django, Joomla,
Fedora, and Firefox. It natively supports YAML, allows crowdsourcing of
translations, and there's a handy command-line client to easily manage
any number of files.

I'm one of the maintainers of the service, so feel free to fire away any
questions my way.

-d
D6158ccae0462937e532b880e181d8ee?d=identicon&s=25 Translate Humans (translatebyhumans)
on 2012-03-13 12:21
Hi Martin,

Localization in Rails usually involve a lot of hand-editing YAML
Translation records - which can be an ache if there, are also a lot of
Strings or lots of language.

Milieu solves numerous of the problems related with localizing Ruby on
Rails apps.

A Ruby gem to automatically upload and download strings for
Translation.

http://www.translatebyhumans.com/human-translation
Aaaea8c1bd6c0721486d6419c2e25a89?d=identicon&s=25 Kamile K. (kamile_k)
on 2013-12-05 12:56
I know a good solution for you. I tried to use translation company
services, this company- www.bv-translations.eu/lt/kontaktai/ . Price is
low, but quality- wow! Just look in their
web page how low prices are !
852e70e52f708c1b62a3c81fe913e444?d=identicon&s=25 Zjy Zjy (zjy)