Forum: GNU Radio Re: Deeper story on FCC versus open source SDR

90ce49445734c487885417d26bdd5c94?d=identicon&s=25 zuzu (sean) (Guest)
forgive my ignorance if this has already been discussed, but how much
overlap of communication is actually occurring here (among the
GNUradio / software defined radio / cognitive radio scene) with the
Open Spectrum movement vis-a-vis Larry Lessig, David P. Reed, et. al.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_spectrum
http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/framing_openspectrum.html
http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature/2003/03/12...
http://www.reed.com/dprframeweb/dprframe.asp?secti...
http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003708.shtml

On 7/26/07, Philip Balister <philip.balister@gmail.com> wrote:
 > Some more takes on the FCC position.
 >
 > My favorite is the second. The line "The Software Defined Radio (SDR)
 > Forum politely responded that the FCC did not know what it was doing
 > and asked it to get a clue." amuses me.
 >
 > http://internetcommunications.tmcnet.com/topics/enterprise/
articles/8305-sflc-releases-white-paper-fcc-rules-software-defined.htm
 > http://reclaimthemedia.org/legislation_and_regulation/
fcc_doesnt_know_what_its_talki=5340
 > http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0%2c39044192%
2c62028023%2c00.htm

 > Philip
 >
 > On 7/26/07, David Young <dyoung@pobox.com> wrote:
 > > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:05:07PM -0700, John Clark wrote:
 > > > , but because of the FCC's paranoia (and other regulatory
agencies
 > > > around the world...),
 > >
 > > John,
 > >
 > > Does any written statement from the FCC give credence to the
"regulatory
 > > excuse" for keeping the Atheros HAL closed?  Atheros cites the
FCC's

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 10:05:53PM -0400, zuzu (sean) wrote:
> forgive my ignorance if this has already been discussed, but how much
> overlap of communication is actually occurring here (among the
> GNUradio / software defined radio / cognitive radio scene) with the
> Open Spectrum movement vis-a-vis Larry Lessig, David P. Reed, et. al.?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_spectrum
> http://www.greaterdemocracy.org/framing_openspectrum.html
> http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature/2003/03/12...
> http://www.reed.com/dprframeweb/dprframe.asp?secti...
> http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/003708.shtml

There's quite a bit of "cross-pollination" between the groups.

Eric