Forum: Ruby Article of interest (?): Why Ruby on Rails Succeeded

Dee1186a971dffe2b9879a28ab7b2992?d=identicon&s=25 estherschindler (Guest)
Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.

http://www.cio.com/article/125851
estherschindler wrote:

> Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
> another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
> Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
> CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
> programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.
>
> http://www.cio.com/article/125851

Nice article.

One important point the author dances around is that many products owe
their
market share to relentless marketing, not their quality. This implies
that
a successful Free Software must be twice as good as a commercial one to
be
thought half as good in the trade press.

Fortunately this isn't very difficult...
C1bcb559f87f356698cfad9f6d630235?d=identicon&s=25 Hal Fulton (Guest)
estherschindler wrote:
> Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
> another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
> Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
> CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
> programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.
>
> http://www.cio.com/article/125851

Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
for double announcement.

Hal
On 7/26/07, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> for double announcement.
Indeed you could have been more careful, now I have to read it
*twice*!!!
Robert Dober wrote:

>> Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
>> for double announcement.

> Indeed you could have been more careful, now I have to read it *twice*!!!

Not very DRY, guys! (-;
On 7/26/07, Phlip <phlip2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:
>
> >> Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
> >> for double announcement.
>
> > Indeed you could have been more careful, now I have to read it *twice*!!!
>
> Not very DRY, guys! (-;
Read it twice anyway, I just did, really :)
Hi --

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Phlip wrote:

> Robert Dober wrote:
>
>>> Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
>>> for double announcement.
>
>> Indeed you could have been more careful, now I have to read it *twice*!!!
>
> Not very DRY, guys! (-;

Hal didn't repeat himself -- he repeated someone else :-)

David
On 7/26/07, dblack@wobblini.net <dblack@wobblini.net> wrote:

> > Not very DRY, guys! (-;
>
> Hal didn't repeat himself -- he repeated someone else :-)

DROP.  Don't Repeat Other People
On 7/27/07, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Not very DRY, guys! (-;
> >
> > Hal didn't repeat himself -- he repeated someone else :-)
>
> DROP.  Don't Repeat Other People
DRAIN
Don't Repeat Anything In No case
F53b05cdbdf561cfe141f69b421244f3?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Robert Dober wrote:

>>> Hal didn't repeat himself -- he repeated someone else :-)
>>
>> DROP.  Don't Repeat Other People
> DRAIN
> Don't Repeat Anything In No case

DRIP DRY

Don't repeat it, period....

David
On 7/27/07, dblack@rubypal.com <dblack@rubypal.com> wrote:
> >> DROP.  Don't Repeat Other People
> > DRAIN
> > Don't Repeat Anything In No case
>
> DRIP DRY
>
> Don't repeat it, period....
Hmm is this a subtle indication that maybe we are wasting a little bit
too much bandwith ;), I guess you are right.
RDDRRD
;) and out