Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing Ruby On Rails with Gem

406c8a51006fa5be31f7cd2e37dfc76b?d=identicon&s=25 Kick The Donkey (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with installing ruby on rails using gem
on Ubuntu server.  For some reason, it tells me that the actionmailer
is in an invalid format:

chris@gumshoe:~/rubygems-0.9.4$ sudo gem install rails
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
Install required dependency rake? [Yn]
Install required dependency activesupport? [Yn]
Install required dependency activerecord? [Yn]
Install required dependency actionpack? [Yn]
Install required dependency actionmailer? [Yn]
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
    invalid gem format for /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache/
actionmailer-1.3.3.gem

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?
3299251223f55753ec84719de39e6e53?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Garvin (Guest)
Kick The Donkey wrote:
> Install required dependency activerecord? [Yn]

Hmmm, I haven't installed Rails on Ubuntu Server yet, but it installed
fine for me on my development (feisty desktop) machine.

I will note that installing as a gem is the way to go.  The apt-get
package for ubuntu is guaranteed to cause you problems at sooner or
later.

--
http://www.5valleys.com/