Forum: Ruby Is there a way to move gems from 1.8.4 to 1.8.6?

I am currently on Ruby 1.8.4 on Windows XP.

I'd like to move to 1.8.6 - do I need to reinstall all of my gems or is
there a way for me to move them to my new 1.8.6 installation?

Thanks,
Wes
F05add2c1c1b613e8e318e9360eac5c2?d=identicon&s=25 Travis D Warlick Jr (Guest)
Under Windows, the gems are not separate from the Ruby installation,
hence my question.

RUBY_HOME=C:\ruby

Gems live in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems.

I plan to just copy them over in the new installation directory for now.

Thanks,
Wes
2c51fec8183a5d21c4e11b430beabb47?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Hurley (Guest)
On 7/25/07, Wes Gamble <weyus@att.net> wrote:
> Under Windows, the gems are not separate from the Ruby installation,
> hence my question.
>
> RUBY_HOME=C:\ruby
>
> Gems live in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems.
>
> I plan to just copy them over in the new installation directory for now.

Wes, don't forget that some gems install a binary component which if
you just copy the gem tree, you will miss. I would suggest that you
get all the gems from your gem cache directory. Your cache directory
can be found by:

gem environment <enter>
RubyGems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.9.2 (0.9.2)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

The GEM PATH plus cache, so on my system
/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/cache is where all the gem files live.
Copy these off and then update your ruby, then (with gem installed if
necessary it is part of the one click installer), in the directory
where you copied off the gems:

gem install *.gem --force

You need the force to simplify the handling of dependencies and
assumedly all the dependencies were valid in your previous install.

Note this can take a while if you have a lot of gems, but this has
worked for me in the past.

Good luck
pth
F05add2c1c1b613e8e318e9360eac5c2?d=identicon&s=25 Travis D Warlick Jr (Guest)
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Travis D Warlick Jr wrote:

> gem update -y
>
> Your gems are separate from your ruby install, so all your gems will stay put.

Are you sure?  I haven't installed on windows in a while, but last I
recall, if you used the packaged (i.e. "1-click") installer, it deleted
the entire existing Ruby install, gems and all.

James