Forum: Ruby on Rails Cap deployment painfully slow

181976602397443ce119909b9d82cae2?d=identicon&s=25 blinking bear (Guest)
We have a 3 environment deployment setup to Dev, Stage, and Production
boxes.  For some reason, the production deployment is painfully slow.
It
hangs on the 'subversion is asking for a password' line for about 4
minutes,
then finally prompts... I'm running it in verbose mode but I don't have
any
indication as to why this is taking so long... any ideas?

Thanks
Bde8d8f24c1ca83f452b5a9d03d5ead6?d=identicon&s=25 Wouter de Bie (xinit)
on 2007-07-24 21:50
blinking bear wrote:
> We have a 3 environment deployment setup to Dev, Stage, and Production
> boxes.  For some reason, the production deployment is painfully slow.
> It
> hangs on the 'subversion is asking for a password' line for about 4
> minutes,
> then finally prompts... I'm running it in verbose mode but I don't have
> any
> indication as to why this is taking so long... any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Could be DNS lookups that timeout. Does a normal ssh take long to the
box? The process is probably waiting for something and eventually times
out. How do you check out your code from the svn repository? This could
take a long time when (reverse) DNS isn't setup correctly.
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
Try logging in to each machine with the user account you use for svn and
then doing

svn ls path_to_your_repository

This should prompt you for the password and then cache it.  The
deployment
shouldn't ask for it again next time.

That's how we do it.

One other thing I do that helps is to ensure I'm using svn export
instead of
svn checkout.