Forum: GNU Radio driver for ueidaq boards

7de99ba7a8144e8f34524dc0ca683bd7?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hi all-

I was curious what would be involved in getting gnuradio to run on any
given data acquistion board that already has a linux kernel driver, such
as the United Electronic Industry's Powerdaq boards:

http://ueidaq.com/products/pci-data-acquisition/pd2-mfs/

We have a number of these in the lab, and I would be interested in
using them in a gnuradio-based oscilloscope type fashion.  These boards
are capable of streaming data using the Linux drivers.

thanks,
eric

************************************
Eric H. Matlis, Ph.D.
Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering Dept.
120 Hessert Center for Aerospace Research
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556-5684
Phone: (574) 631-6054
Fax:   (574) 631-8355
ematlis@nd.edu wrote:

> I was curious what would be involved in getting gnuradio to run on any
> given data acquistion board that already has a linux kernel driver, such
> as the United Electronic Industry's Powerdaq boards:
>
> http://ueidaq.com/products/pci-data-acquisition/pd2-mfs/
>
> We have a number of these in the lab, and I would be interested in using
> them in a gnuradio-based oscilloscope type fashion.  These boards are
> capable of streaming data using the Linux drivers.

On the face of it there doesn't seem to be any reason you couldn't write
a C++ GNU Radio source block that interfaces with the Linux driver.  But
there was no software driver spec available on the page you linked to
really say.  The complexity of the GNU Radio block is in direct
proportion to how complicated they make their streaming interface.

--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Enterprises LLC

www.nd.edu/~ematlis/z.gnuradio/powerdaq_linux_full_3.6.18.tgz

and

www.nd.edu/~ematlis/z.gnuradio/PDAQ-MAN-MFX-601.pdf

The tar file contains the driver and there is a manual of the API in the
doc section.

How difficult do you think it would be to write the interface, based on
the information I link to above? Is there a template I could use to look
into writing it?

eric

************************************
ematlis@nd.edu wrote:

> How difficult do you think it would be to write the interface, based on
> the information I link to above? Is there a template I could use to look
> into writing it?

In two words, I'd describe it as "medium difficulty."  Their driver API
abstracts most of the gory hardware communication stuff, but it looks
like there is still a fair bit of function call/setup overhead and
memory management you'd have to do.

In terms of GNU Radio itself, a good template to start from is the
gr-comedi component.  If you rip out all the actual functionality there,
you're left with a skeleton for a top-level GNU Radio component that
links to a system supplied shared library.  It's not a perfect match but
if I were writing it that's where I would start.