Forum: GNU Radio gnuradio usrp python

4f78b9476eaacbe4988d7e66646f8c3c?d=identicon&s=25 Eze Kenneth C. (Guest)
hi,

pls am a postgraduate student of brunel university west london, M.Sc
Wireless communication systems, working on 'design and implementation of
software defined radio for digital communication' preferably 3G. i've
never programmed in python, and the problem am having now is that the
hardware 'usrp' only works in Linux and the programming is done on
python. i need the HELP about the program.
hope u'll be able to help.

thanks

Kenneth

I face this problem when I started working with the USRP. Fortunately,
you can install Sygwin.  you can find the instruction  on the  link
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain
Sygwin will make a Linux environment in windows, so you do NOT have to
install Linux
Be careful, the installation will take at least 4 hours without mistake
(according to my experience) and it is very tricky.
the best way to run your USRP is by using Linux (Ubuntu for example), it
is the platform that I have now and it works perfectly. you can find the
installations instructions in th link
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall.
-- Alaelddin
3e5d1707dd5f4807ed9938d5c37b2649?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Strasser (Guest)
Hello Eze!

Eze Kenneth C. schrieb:
i've
> never programmed in python, and the problem am having now is that the
> hardware 'usrp' only works in Linux and the programming is done on
> python. i need the HELP about the program.

I learned Python with the Pyton Tutorial
http://docs.python.org/tut/
Take a day or two to learn it, it's a wonderful language!

For a quick start into Linux (I'm trying to build with Cygwin/Windows,
but that's hard these days), I'd agree with Alaelddin. Try out the
Ubuntu Live CD [0], you don't need to install anything until you'r
familiar with Linux.

Patrick

[0] http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at tugraz dot at>
Cf2f6615159d9945d0591aa7eb469957?d=identicon&s=25 Alaelddin (Guest)
Hi
I prefer Ubuntu. it works in Cygwin , but it is tricky.
The Gnu Radio is free to use. what you have to do is to install it in
Ubuntu as described in  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall ,
then try to run some examples and see how the code looks like.
--Alaelddin