Forum: Ruby Testing RSS feeds on Tiger

9245d0bfffe9e49402e1651c1ec7fe6e?d=identicon&s=25 ratkins_usenet (Guest)
I'm trying to write a RoR program to create an RSS feed. I'm pretty sure
the XML it's producing is valid (it looks fine when viewed in Firefox)
but I get very strange behaviour when testing it in Safari.

If I hit "http://localhost/rss/", Safari does a redirect to
"feed:http://" and then of course fails. If I'm lucky (!) Safari then
refuses to load any more web pages unless I restart it.

So I experimented by saving the "View Source" of the page (courtesy of
Firefox) into a static file and put that in my ~/Sites dir. Now when I
go to http://localhost/~ratkins/example.xml, I get a redirect to
http://example.xml/, which of course fails.

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Cheers, Robert.
33eda546f35b0667856505f21f940529?d=identicon&s=25 reinder (Guest)
In article
<4383250f$0$13315$61c65585@un-2park-reader-01.sydney.pipenetworks.com.au
 Robert Atkins <ratkins_usenet@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I'm trying to write a RoR program to create an RSS feed. I'm pretty sure
> the XML it's producing is valid (it looks fine when viewed in Firefox)
> but I get very strange behaviour when testing it in Safari.
> [...]
> Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Not from the info you gave, but there is one thing you should do: make
sure that you know the XML you produce is valid, for instance using
<http://www.feedvalidator.org/>. In my experience, Safari is quite picky
about feed formats, compared to NetNewsWire.

If that does not help, you should provide a short example of the XML you
generate. I also would suggest doing that in a different newsgroup,
since this has nothing to do with ruby (yes, you are using ruby to
generate the XML, but as far as I can tell from your post, you do not
have problems with rails or ruby) and this group already is quite busy.

Reinder
D2bc07ef3dd6e18824932ce55b1f5571?d=identicon&s=25 fugalh (Guest)
Safari doesn't like feeds from localhost. It's a real pain. You might
be able to do some hosts file or dns trickery (I usually test my XML
feeds being served from my desktop (linux) to my laptop (osx))
F6f321e69ae48792c223487991cb356c?d=identicon&s=25 ajwitte (Guest)
Safari has a bug prevents viewing feeds unless there's at least one dot
in the hostname. If you use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost it should
work.