Forum: Ruby Net::FTP

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 18:48
(Received via mailing list)
Hey all,
I'm having trouble with Net::FTP's dir command. I'm looking to get a
list of all the directories, but instead I get a list of every file
IN every directory, and the permissions and timestamps as well.

Is there any way to fix this?
What method SHOULD I use to get a list of all of the directories?

For Clarification....

ftp.dir('*/')
# => Every file in every directory and all the file permissions to
accompany them.

Thanks,
-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit
289cf19aa581c445915c072bf45c5e25?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Benson (Guest)
on 2007-07-17 19:56
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/17/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:

> ftp.dir('*/')
> # => Every file in every directory and all the file permissions to
> accompany them.

Leave off the forward slash after the asterisk, and then with your list:

1. select out the ones starting with 'd' since those will be your
directories
2. pull out the last token of each entry which will be the directory
name.

You may or may not be concerned with linked directories, which will
start with an 'l' instead.

hth,
Todd
425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
on 2007-07-18 02:11
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 17, 2007, at 1:54 PM, Todd Benson wrote:

> directories
> 2. pull out the last token of each entry which will be the
> directory name.


Thanks! But is there a different command I can use to get just the
names? I happen to know that where I'm working, what I first collect
from my ftp.dir('*') will be all directories. How can I use that to
my advantage?

aRi
--------------------------------------------|
If you're not living on the edge,
then you're just wasting space.
289cf19aa581c445915c072bf45c5e25?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Benson (Guest)
on 2007-07-18 03:01
(Received via mailing list)
On 7/17/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:

> Thanks! But is there a different command I can use to get just the
> names? I happen to know that where I'm working, what I first collect
> from my ftp.dir('*') will be all directories. How can I use that to
> my advantage?
>
> aRi

Well there's #nlst method (using openbsd site as an example):

require 'net/ftp'
names = nil
Net::FTP.open('ftp.openbsd.org','anonymous','blah') do |ftp|
  ftp.chdir('/pub/OpenBSD/4.1')
  names = ftp.nlst('*')
end
p names

That will give you the names of directories _and_ files _and_ links in
the 4.1 directory.

If you want just the directories in a directory, you can do this:

require 'net/ftp'
dirs = []
Net::FTP.open('ftp.openbsd.org', 'anonymous', 'blah') do |ftp|
  ftp.chdir('/pub/OpenBSD/4.1')
  dirs = ftp.ls('*').select { |item| item[0,1]=~/^[l|d]/ }
end
dirs.map! { |item| item.split.last }
p dirs

That will give you just the directory and link names in the 4.1
directory (but not if they have spaces in the name).

Does that make sense at all?
Todd
425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
on 2007-07-18 04:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Jul 17, 2007, at 8:59 PM, Todd Benson wrote:
<snip>
>
> end
> dirs.map! { |item| item.split.last }
> p dirs
>
> That will give you just the directory and link names in the 4.1
> directory (but not if they have spaces in the name).

mmmmmm yes it finally makes sense! But when you did your ls... Did
you get the listing of every file IN every directory? Because thats
what I get when I use dir.


aRi
-------------------------------------------|
Nietzsche is my copilot
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.