Forum: Ruby How to install ruby-gd

52d83a4ca564de7e67f06855c85ff1d4?d=identicon&s=25 w wg (Guest)

I installed the ruby-gd like so:

gem install ruby-gd

[root@rj-bsd /var/www/]# gem install ruby-gd
Attempting local installation of 'ruby-gd'
Local gem file not found: ruby-gd*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'ruby-gd'
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Gem files will remain installed in
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-gd-0.7.4 for inspection.
  ruby extconf.rb install ruby-gd\nchecking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for main() in -lpng... yes
checking for gdImagePng() in -lgd... no

Results logged to

Please help me, thank you.
D0338c0de4cb3c5c17300396159933d1?d=identicon&s=25 Axel Etzold (Guest)
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
>         --with-make-prog
>         --with-xpm
>         --without-zlib
> checking for gdImagePng() in -lgd... no
> WenGe Wang
Dear WenGe,

the gd library complains that you did not install support for the
PNG graphics format.
If you didn't, check out this page for binaries or source code: .

If you did, there is this in the installation wiki of gd:

Alternatively, you could call the gem install setup process with
the flag  --without-pnglib, if you are sure that you don't want PNG
graphics support.

Best regards,