Forum: Ruby on Rails Why you are not satisfied with Ruby on Rails IDE's?

Daaf64ae746b222aeab2253dd71d6ae9?d=identicon&s=25 orfest@gmail.com (Guest)
Hello,

I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
what is better to use.

Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
features or general convinience?
E60b2dc57668b5662ce3f07781e41710?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Rudy Jacobs (matthewrudy)
on 2007-07-17 12:39
I really like Aptana/RadRails,

it takes a while to load,
but has all the convenience functions I need built-in
(rakes, generates, servers)

I work on projects that involve at least 5 dependent projects,
so it's nice to define each "Project" in the IDE,
and avoid navigating my actual subversion structure.

Boom!!!

orfest@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?
40aede2adf7189c0ce681af16398b0e5?d=identicon&s=25 Nikolay Kurtov (Guest)
Aptana? personally I don't like it's Data Navigator.

On Jul 17, 5:39 pm, Matthew Rudy <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Daaf64ae746b222aeab2253dd71d6ae9?d=identicon&s=25 orfest@gmail.com (Guest)
But I have never seen any analogue of it's Data Navigator. I even
cannot imagine how to improve or replace it. Obviously this thing is
not very good. Maybe somebody will share his opinion about how to
replace this feature, how he would like to see it implemented. I have
to continue using mysql-front
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 gene.tani@gmail.com (Guest)
On Jul 17, 3:28 am, "orf...@gmail.com" <orf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?

i was reading this post, which reminded me there'll be a flood of
releases soon: Aptana, IntelliJ, CodeGear, NetBeans, maybe komodo and
textmate

http://www.nullcreations.net/entry/komodo-4-1-beta
Daaf64ae746b222aeab2253dd71d6ae9?d=identicon&s=25 orfest@gmail.com (Guest)
Do you know if NetBeans has an analogue of Data Navigator?
F203a4bd4b2d962a54f66d85bc537663?d=identicon&s=25 James Moore (Guest)
I used the data navigator in Aptana/RadRails occasionally, but MySQL
has a perfectly good native one, and presumably Postgres/whatever have
really good native tools as well.  Why is having this in the IDE
useful?  (Am I missing something productive here?)

There is one in NetBeans, but out of the box it only comes with a
JDBC-ODBC Bridge driver.  Not terribly useful, but I've never cared -
I just run the MySQL Query Browser, or a command line.

 - James Moore
7350ea8e421667c37a05381a954acc31?d=identicon&s=25 Robin H. (rhinmass)
on 2007-07-31 18:53
I am using Aptana/RadRails.  I have become spoiled by Eclipse for Java
because you can F3 (Open Declaration) on any function name or variable
name and it's declaration is opened up for you.  I don't think this
functionality exists in RadRails as far as I can tell.

orfest@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that there were a huge discussions about, what IDE is good and
> what is better to use.
>
> Can you tell, what exactly don't you like in IDE's, is it lack of
> features or general convinience?
5bbaf82e891bb25702a10782b6b17f56?d=identicon&s=25 Pascal Friederich (Guest)
aptana for rails,
heidi sql for database manipulation

over and out!

On Jul 31, 6:53 pm, "Robin H." <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
6c4fb2e03ccc9e26d6c837989807fba9?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Slater (Guest)
In NetBeans you can control-click on a method name and it opens the
file that contains the method definition with the cursor positioned at
the start of the definition. Very helpful!

Michael
www.mslater.com

On Jul 31, 9:53 am, "Robin H." <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
6c4fb2e03ccc9e26d6c837989807fba9?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Slater (Guest)
As a DB interface, I like SQLyog as a MySQL GUI (on Windows) -- lots
of useful features, including built-in SSH tunneling (if you get the
paid version) and synchronization between dbs.

Michael
www.mslater.com