Forum: Ruby on Rails Problems during deployment with capistrano

D167461db018fb93fa36587b3def84cf?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas Kviby (Guest)
So I wrote my first little rails app and suceeded to deploy it to my
railsmachine account. But now when I wrote a new app in Rails I want to
overwrite the old one with this completely and I can't seem to get this
work at all. Does someone have any tricks lying around to help me clean
and
re-deploy the whole shebang?

Andreas Kviby
Telefon 070-352 66 76
E-post akviby@gmail.com
85f8b7bbe07bff22e0b38cca818cf692?d=identicon&s=25 Luke Pearce (kule)
on 2007-07-14 18:10
Are you using SVN?  Have you committed your latest updates?

FYI:
Capistrano will take the latest version of your app from SVN save it in
a time-stamped directory (under /appname/releases) and change the
/appname/current  (really a linux symbolic link) to point to the new
time-stamped directory.

If you are doing a totally a new app or have updated its location in SVN
have you updated your RAILSROOT/config/deploy.rb file?
D167461db018fb93fa36587b3def84cf?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas Kviby (Guest)
Hi
I am also new to svn but I have managed to checkout the code that I have
checked in but do not how to commit the changes.

> If you are doing a totally a new app or have updated its location in SVN
> have you updated your RAILSROOT/config/deploy.rb file?
>
> --

In your local SVN workspace, first add any new files to the repo:
  svn add *
Then check in the changes:
   svn ci -m "my check-in message"

Now, when you deploy (assuming capistrano is set up correctly), your
changes will supersede the old stuff on the production host. Cap
actually leaves the old versions of your code on there too, but
creates a symlink to the most recent version as 'current'.

This page helped me  a lot with deployment:
http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-gro...