Forum: Ruby Strange Segfault

9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
I have an interesting problem.  I have a script that I wish to use to
check
a database and then map drives based on who is logging on and the info
in
the database.

When I run the script on any of the machines in the computer lab it
segfaults.  When I copy the exact same code that is in the script into
an
irb session and run it I don't have any trouble.  I can run the script
proper on my office workstation.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I'm running ruby 1.8.6 on all the machines in question.

Here is the script:

require 'Win32API'
require 'xmlrpc/client'

class User
    def lookup
    user = "0" * 20

    getUserName = Win32API.new("advapi32", "GetUserName", 'P', "V")

    getUserName.call(user)

    return user
    end

    def account_created?(login)
        server = XMLRPC::Client.new2('http://localhost:3003/user/api')

        result = server.call('Check', login)

        if result == 0
          return false
        else
            return true

    def map_drives(login)
        system("net use x: /delete /y")
        system("net use l: /delete /y")
        system("net use x: //cad1/#{login}")
        system("net use l: //cad1/shared")

user = User.new

username = user.lookup

if user.account_created?(username)
    user.map_drives(username)

"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)

>         result = server.call('Check', login)
>         system("net use l: /delete /y")
>     user.map_drives(username)
> end

What version of Windows are you on? Is there a backtrace you could
show us? That would help us determine whether or not it's the system
calls or something else.

Regards,

Dan
On 7/13/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I run the script on any of the machines in the computer lab it
> >

> >           return false
> >     end
> What version of Windows are you on? Is there a backtrace you could
> show us? That would help us determine whether or not it's the system
> calls or something else.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan
>

> All the machines involved are running XP Pro.

This is the best I can get out of it:

c:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8\xmlrpc\client.rb:414:in 'call'
C:\Startup\map.rb:24:in 'account_created?'
C:\Startup\map.rb:50

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
> > > the database.
> > >

> > >         result = server.call('Check', login)
> > >         system("net use l: /delete /y")
> > >     user.map_drives(username)
> >
> speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Okay for reasons I'm not sure of right now and don't have time to
investigate changing the server.call to server.call2 fixed the problem.

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)

<snip>

> Okay for reasons I'm not sure of right now and don't have time to
> investigate changing the server.call to server.call2 fixed the problem.

<snip>

For some reason my last post never made it...

In short, your declaration of GetUserName is wrong - it takes 2
parameters, not 1, and you aren't checking for failure. As it stands
now it looks like "login" will always be an empty string.

Save yourself some time and use Admin.get_login from the sys-admin
package, which you can install via rubygems.

Regards,

Dan
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
On 7/13/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:
> For some reason my last post never made it...
> Dan

Thanks for the info I wouldn't have caught it otherwise as it actually
gives
me the proper username.  I will look into the sys-admin package.

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
Daniel,

sys-admin looks like it will do what I need however the link (
http://tinyurl.com/cjkzl) in the documentation on rubyforge is broken.
MSDN
just throws a 404 page.

I'm trying to find the options for the config_global_group method.

Thanks.

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)
> Daniel,
>
> sys-admin looks like it will do what I need however the link (http://tinyurl.com/cjkzl)
in the documentation on rubyforge is broken.  MSDN
> just throws a 404 page.

That's because MS insists on moving its documentation every 6 months
in order to make it more Ajaxy and less functional. But I digress...

Try http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa746340.aspx and look at
the "properties" section.

For future searchers if that link is dead just search msdn.com on
"IADsGroup" or "adsi + group".

Regards,

Dan
9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
Thanks Dan,

That looks like it should do everything I need.  Annoying that
GetUserName
returns the name of the account that owns the process not the actual
account
that is logged-in locally, so much for running it as a service.

-Glen