Forum: Ruby Building ruby with bcc32

8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
I am looking for someone who built ruby using Borland c.
Because I don't want to use BIG M$$$ compiler.
And dont' want to feel like lost without them.
And I am sure still there is somebody still using Borland C.

Anybody give me a hand pls.
I think bcc32 directory which comes with the ruby trunk is not up to
date.
And I have no makefile experience to fix it up and commit to the ruby
community.

I get the following error.

D:\Ruby_test_ver>bcc32\configure.bat
MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
Creating Makefile
type "`make'" to make ruby for bccwin32.

D:\Ruby_test_ver>make
MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
Error ./common.mk 611: Redefinition of target 'opt_sc.inc'
Error ./common.mk 611: Redefinition of target 'optinsn.inc'
Error ./common.mk 611: Redefinition of target 'optunifs.inc'
Error ./common.mk 611: Redefinition of target 'insns.inc'
Error ./common.mk 611: Redefinition of target 'vmtc.inc'
*** 5 errors during make ***

I edit the common.mk and comment the error lines.
And then I get the other error.

D:\Ruby_test_ver>make
MAKE Version 5.2  Copyright (c) 1987, 2000 Borland
config.h updated.
Creating config.status
Fatal: '.\ruby.h' does not exist - don't know how to make it

Pls help.

OS: WinXP
Comp: Borland C++ 5.82 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2005 Borland

Any help is appreciated
With kindest regards
yc
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 03:47:45PM +0900, Yusuf Celik wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for someone who built ruby using Borland c.
> Because I don't want to use BIG M$$$ compiler.
> And dont' want to feel like lost without them.
> And I am sure still there is somebody still using Borland C.

Actually, I think gcc is probably a more common C compiler than Borland
C, as an alternative to the Microsoft compiler.  It's even more popular
on MS Windows, from what I've seen -- though I admit my experience may
be
a bit skewed from the average in this regard.
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-13 09:14
Thanks Chad,
I am really glad that somebody's heard my scream.
I never used gcc before. But I think I will give it a go.
I've been using Borland c++ for a while and quite happy with it.
And now there is a free version can search using "Borland's Free C++
Compiler ".

I guess the problem is in the make file regarding the include directory.
Since I have no experience with Makefiles I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks again Chad appreciated.

With kindest regards
yc

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Actually, I think gcc is probably a more common C compiler than Borland
> C, as an alternative to the Microsoft compiler.  It's even more popular
> on MS Windows, from what I've seen -- though I admit my experience may
> be
> a bit skewed from the average in this regard.
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (Guest)

At Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:47:45 +0900,
Yusuf Celik wrote in [ruby-talk:259253]:
> I think bcc32 directory which comes with the ruby trunk is not up to
> date.

bcc32 support will be obsolete.
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-13 09:55
Thanks for the reply.

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> bcc32 support will be obsolete.

May I ask the reason?
Because, bcc32 is a good and popular compiler in Win environment.
And there are lots of people using it.

Thanks in advance
yc
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-13 14:15
Yusuf Celik wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>> bcc32 support will be obsolete.
>
> May I ask the reason?
So no reason, ok, fair enough.

I have another question then
Where can I get gcc compiler and how to use to build ruby.exe ?

Thanks in advance
yc
425cab08658a06567879717de154552c?d=identicon&s=25 Ari Brown (Guest)
www.ubuntu.org

Think of it as an 'all in one' toolkit.

oh, and for just the gcc.
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

although you might need cygwin (unix environment for windows)

On Jul 13, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Yusuf Celik wrote:

> Where can I get gcc compiler and how to use to build ruby.exe ?
>
> Thanks in advance
> yc
>
> --

> www.ubuntu.org
>
> Think of it as an 'all in one' toolkit.
>
> oh, and for just the gcc.
> http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
>
> although you might need cygwin (unix environment for windows)
Hmm Mingw should be enough[ still cygwin is a good thing to have IMHO]
only that there is no need to install all that stuff only to compile
Ruby?
http://www.mingw.org/

HTH
Robert
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-13 15:52
Thanks all,

I've downloaded and installed MinGW.
In VC++ win32\configure.bat and then run nmake.
So what is the next step to build ruby for MinGW?

Thanks in advance
yc
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (Guest)

At Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:16:20 +0900,
Yusuf Celik wrote in [ruby-talk:259294]:
> >> bcc32 support will be obsolete.
> >
> > May I ask the reason?
> So no reason, ok, fair enough.

* it doesn't support C89 standard (can't initialize aggregate
  types with dynamic values).

* tools (named as make.exe, grep.exe confusingly) work quirkily
  or curiously.

* the maintainer doesn't have enough time to keep the code up
  to date.
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 09:16:20PM +0900, Yusuf Celik wrote:
> Where can I get gcc compiler and how to use to build ruby.exe ?
You probably just needed to wait a little bit for the answer to come
through.  I see that, since you posted this, someone posted an answer to
the previous question.

Some questions take longer than others to get answered.  Some don't ever
get answered -- but it's usually a good idea to give it a day or two to
be sure.  If not a day, at least longer than five hours in the early
morning.  If only one or two people on the list know the answer to your
questions (like why bcc is becoming obsolete), and they don't check the
email account until evening, 6 AM is probably a little early to give up.

I hope I don't sound like a nag. . . .
On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 04:16:23PM +0900, Yusuf Celik wrote:
> Thanks again Chad appreciated.
>
> With kindest regards

You're quite welcome.

Sometimes, something that compiles with one compiler doesn't with
another.  Generally, GCC and the MS compiler are among the most
important
compilers to people who write software like the Ruby, Perl, and Python
interpreters.  I tend to guess the Intel compiler might be third place.

That's one reason I brought up the GCC compiler (the other being you
indicated you had no interest in using the MS compiler).  I just thought
you might want to know some more about my reasoning.
Chad Perrin wrote:

> That's one reason I brought up the GCC compiler (the other being you
> indicated you had no interest in using the MS compiler).  I just thought
> you might want to know some more about my reasoning.

On most "non-Gnu" systems, the native compiler (MS on Windows, Sun's
compilers on Solaris, etc.) are in first place. On Gnu systems, GCC is
in first place. In high-performance computing, I know people who won't
use GCC on an Intel platform, even Linux, but use the Intel compiler.

I actually think I had a copy of the Intel compiler at one point --
there's a version you can download for evaluation purposes. But I gave
away my last Intel box, a P3, and am now a pure AMD lab. :)
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-16 13:20
Thanks all,

You've allocated your valuable time to answer my question.
I am really greatfull for that.
I still don't know how to build ruby using MinGW.
This is my last question on this topic.

Thank in advance
yc
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-18 13:15
At least you can lead me to an internet page.

Thanks
yc

2007/7/18, Yusuf Celik <ycelik@oytek.com.tr>:
> At least you can lead me to an internet page.

Adding to the mix of information: if you use cygwin anyway you can as
well use the cygwin ruby package.  It's even more hassle free than
compiling yourself. Just my 0.02EUR...

Kind regards

robert
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-18 14:09
Thanks Robert,

Where can I find any info. regarding how to use cygwin?
Because, I am windows user and no clue how to use cygwin.

With kindest regards
yc

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 09:09:12PM +0900, Yusuf Celik wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> Where can I find any info. regarding how to use cygwin?
> Because, I am windows user and no clue how to use cygwin.

Cygwin webpage:
  http://cygwin.com

Many Cygwin resources:
  http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin

It's basically a Unix toolset for MS Windows.  Google is your friend:
just searching for "cygwin" gave me the main Cygwin website as the first
hit.
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-19 08:39
Thanks Chad for the response,

To start from the beginning,
I wanted to use bcc32 to build ruby,
but Nobuyoshi Nakada said that bcc32 support will be absolute.
Since I had no intention of using M$$$ compiler I asked for an
alternative one.
I was lead to usign gcc (MingGW) which is free and can be used to build
ruby
for Win32.
But I am stuck on how to build ruby using gcc:
For ms compiler the steps are:
 1.Execute win32\configure.bat on your build directory.
 2.Run nmake

But I don't know the step for MinGW.

Thanks in advance

With kindest regards
yc

Chad Perrin wrote:
> Cygwin webpage:
>   http://cygwin.com
>
> Many Cygwin resources:
>   http://www.google.com/search?q=cygwin
>
> It's basically a Unix toolset for MS Windows.  Google is your friend:
> just searching for "cygwin" gave me the main Cygwin website as the first
> hit.
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (Guest)

At Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:39:56 +0900,
Yusuf Celik wrote in [ruby-talk:260678]:
> For ms compiler the steps are:
>  1.Execute win32\configure.bat on your build directory.
>  2.Run nmake
>
> But I don't know the step for MinGW.

autoconf && ./configure CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' && make &&
make install DESTDIR="anywhere you want install to"
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
Thanks Nobuyoshi,
I guess these steps are for Linux.
I need the steps for WinXP.

Thanks again
With kindest regards
yc

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> autoconf && ./configure CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' && make &&
> make install DESTDIR="anywhere you want install to"
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (Guest)

At Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:16:04 +0900,
Yusuf Celik wrote in [ruby-talk:260690]:
> I guess these steps are for Linux.
> I need the steps for WinXP.

Steps for mingw compiling on cygwin.
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-19 10:50
Hi Nobuyoshi,
I've mingw and cygwin installed on my computer.
but no such a file called autoconf.
I am sure I am doing something wrong
but I don't know what.

with kindest regards
yc

Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> Hi,
> Steps for mingw compiling on cygwin.
F1d6cc2b735bfd82c8773172da2aeab9?d=identicon&s=25 Nobuyoshi Nakada (Guest)

At Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:51:22 +0900,
Yusuf Celik wrote in [ruby-talk:260700]:
> I've mingw and cygwin installed on my computer.
> but no such a file called autoconf.
> I am sure I am doing something wrong
> but I don't know what.

You need to install autoconf package too, of Devel category in
"Select Packages" menu of setup.exe.  Maybe, you'd say "I don't
have gcc" next, and "configure says error: `C compiler cannot
create executables'" then.  You need to install gcc, binutils,
bison and gcc-mingw packages too.
On 7/19/07, Yusuf Celik <ycelik@oytek.com.tr> wrote:
> Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Steps for mingw compiling on cygwin.

Do you really want to build ruby from source on windows, or do you just
want
to USE ruby on windows? The one click installer can end a lot of your
headaches if it's the second:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-19 13:06
Hi Logan,

I want to build ruby from source on windows WITHOUT using ms compiler.
My intention was to build ruby using bcc32 but I was told that it was
not possible
it was better to use gcc.

Thanks again
With kindest regards
yc

Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On 7/19/07, Yusuf Celik <ycelik@oytek.com.tr> wrote:
>> Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Steps for mingw compiling on cygwin.
>

> Do you really want to build ruby from source on windows, or do you just
> want
> to USE ruby on windows? The one click installer can end a lot of your
> headaches if it's the second:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-19 14:59
Nobuyoshi Nakada wrote:

Thank you thank you and thank you Nobuyoshi,
I managed finally, could not do without your help.
installed autoconf, gcc and some other packages (binutils etc...)
packages under Devel category.
And typed the command as you said (I don't even know what all in the
command line but it is ok)
autoconf && ./configure CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' && make &&
make install DESTDIR="anywhere you want install to"

And then bang! it worked.
From my understanding, it is NOT possible to build ruby under Win cmd
prompt
using gcc (MinGW) without Cygwin.

Thanks Nobuyoshi again I really appreciate you help.

With kindest regards
yc

> You need to install autoconf package too, of Devel category in
> "Select Packages" menu of setup.exe.  Maybe, you'd say "I don't
> have gcc" next, and "configure says error: `C compiler cannot
> create executables'" then.  You need to install gcc, binutils,
> bison and gcc-mingw packages too.
6087a044557d6b59ab52e7dd20f94da8?d=identicon&s=25 Peña, Botp (Guest)
From: Yusuf Celik [mailto:ycelik@oytek.com.tr]
# And typed the command as you said (I don't even know what all in the
# command line but it is ok)

put those in a batch file so you wont need to remember it. then by the
time that a new release of ruby comes, all you have to do is run that,
then magic!, you have the latest ruby build, days or even months before
the latest one-click arrives...
8c98ddcf14eb09737e73ab629abf48e4?d=identicon&s=25 Yusuf Celik (yusufcelik)
on 2007-07-20 08:36
Thank you Peña,

I tried that.
I don't have linux experience at all.
Every time I run those commands it checks everything from the beginning
that is time consuming.
And it is very slow, I think I will miss borlandc :-(

With kindest regards
yc