Forum: Ruby on Rails Deprecations Gon' Wild

C4edcb52652d2b17fe2b38ef13bae729?d=identicon&s=25 David Andrew Thompson (Guest)
I'm sorry, but I have GOT to ping in on this...

In Rails 2.0, the *.rhtml* and *.rxml* file extensions will be
deprecated<http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/6178>in favor of the
.erb and .builder extensions.

"And in other news....Rails decides to convert its base libraries to
Tagalog"

Gentlemen and ladies, the number of deprecations is getting a little
hairy,
not to mention my tests are beginning to look like changeset logs rather
than 'easy to use' and DRY tools for developers.

I know this is a bit touchy-feely for an email and I'm not going to go
into
a diatribe here, but please, the above stated changeset is enormously
affecting for a number of reasons: documentation, tutorials,  let alone
code
revisions.

That said I still love RoR to death!

Just my $0.02

Dave
--
David Andrew Thompson
http://www.davidandrewthompson.com

David Andrew Thompson wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I have GOT to ping in on this...
>
> In Rails 2.0, the .rhtml and .rxml file extensions will
> be deprecated in favor of the .erb and .builder
> extensions.

With all due respect, that's not what the Changeset you linked to said.
It
said ".rhtml and .rxml will continue to work until Rails 3.0"  I
understand
your concerns, though.  Change is inevitable, and it's never easy.
Having
said that, my take on it is that Rails is _about_ change, so I don't see
any
alternative to Rails itself changing.

Best regards,
Bill